Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Supernatural Chat

supernatural winchester cw sam dean castiel

32 replies to this topic

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts
Hey! I love the CW show Supernatural. I've been watching it since the first season and even go to the conventions. Crazy, I know. I'd love to get people to chat about the show. Old episodes, new ones. The mythology. Anything! Thanks for reading.
  • Cerina and ShadowDog +1 this

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts
Any Supernatural fans out there? It's Friday night and I've finally caught up on this season. There is lots to talk about! Let's focus on the recent "Southern Comfort". There are some freaky goings on in Kearny, Missouri. A wife rips her husband apart over a 30 year old one night stand. Her son then throws hot coffee in an ex business partners face before hacking him to death with a shovel. What the hell is up?! Never fear our two hottie, FBI agents are on the case. What's this? A Texas Ranger in Missouri? Yep, and he's pretty convincing because the MO cops don't bat an eye. Garth is on the case. I flippin' LOVE DJ Qualls as the new sidekick. He brings an amazing dimension to the show. The boys need this because, pretty much all of their friends have been killed off or are hiding from them (Kevin and his Tiger Mommy). Garth has about 6 or so cell phones with him and it appears he's taken on Bobby's role of go to guy. Dean is not really thrilled. Garth throws himself right into his work. Going so far as to taste the ectoplasm. YIKES! Can't you catch something from that? We get some background on Garth. He went to college and dental school. Yes. Garth was a dentist. His unfortunate first job was the Tooth Fairy. He "felt so bad when I ranked that SOB". Garth reminisces over a meal. I think Garth could really give Dean a run for his money in an eating contest. A pie eating contest. Oh yeah.

The boys find out from a security tape that the monster of the week is a Confederate soldier zombie looking thing. Garth has Bobby's hat on but Dean whips it off his head. Garth just can't get a break. While Sam is off chasing a lead, Dean and Garth are researching. Garth calls Dean an idjit in a loving way and Dean bites his head off. He tells him, "you're never gonna be Bobby!". I must admit, I teared up at this next part. Garth, with tears in his own eyes says, "Bobby belonged to all of us Dean, not just you and Sam". Dean seems to have forgotten that Bobby had many relationships outside of theirs. I think it was good how Garth stood up for himself. Garth has inherited lots of Bobby's things including a book that he finally finds what it is exactly that they are hunting. A spectre. An avenging ghost. It thrives on anger and rage. Well, the only grave that's been disturbed recently is the tomb of the unknown Confederate soldier. "Burn a Confederate soldier's bones in a town full of rednecks. Sure", Sam is ready for the challenge. Actually Sam's mind is elsewhere this week. We get to see lots of flashbacks of him and Amelia. Now, I know people will say this is because I'm a girl and I just don't want the boys in a relationship. Now hear me out. I think that Amelia is awfully whiny and angry. I know, she lost her husband. I feel bad for her but I'm not seeing the attraction at this point. Just saying.

Sam and Garth figure out that the kids stole a penny on a string from the corpse. Sam calls Dean to warn him. Dean had followed the specter to the hospital. Unfortunately the anti-possesion tattoos only work for demons. Oops. San and Garth find Dean back at the hotel. Dean immediately pulls a gun on Sam. Then he starts going off. "You should've looked for me when I was in purgatory" "You always blamed me (for getting you in this life)" "You left me to die for a girl" At this point they start fighting. It looks like Sam has the upper hand but then Dean throws him across the room, grabs the gun and aims it again. Garth stands in between them. He believes Dean won't shoot him, because his beef is with Sam. I was really hoping he was right! Garth starts talking Dean down. He's so awesome. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy that character? Yes, he is great. When Garth sees his chance he plants a right hook direct to Dean's chin. I was cheering. Woo hoo Garth! The hit was enough to knock that nasty penny out of Dean's hand. Garth is shaking his hand (I would not have been surprised if he broke it). Then Garth bent down to pick up that unlucky penny. No! Sam and Dean shout. It's all good. Garth doesn't have any pent up anger or beefs with anyone apparently. Garth takes the penny and melts it down. That's the end of the Confederate soldier, zombie looking spectre.

Dean has a moment with Garth before he takes off. Garth tells Dean he needs to let the past go. Sam is all he's got and vice versa so they should really forgive and forget. Dean puts Bobby's hat back on Garth. "Keep on truckin' Garth" Garth tries to fire up the el camino but it's a bit cold. He slams his hands on the steering wheel and yells "Balls!" Then the car starts up. With a smile and a thumbs up, Garth drives off into the night.

I thought this would be the time Dean apologizes to Sam. Not really what happened. Sam is pissed and he puts Dean on notice that it just might be he, who runs into Benny and sends him back to hell or purgatory. For good this time.

Jessica Grafer
@scarletbe
  • Cerina, ShadowDog and Foxglove +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
WOO HOO! Nice to see a Twitter friend here!
  • scarletbe +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,824 posts
Do Sam and Dean show up at these Supernatural conventions?!

I love this show as well. Awesome write up, thanks!
  • scarletbe +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Okay, so as far as the episode itself ... I'd just watched it a couple minutes ago actually so its very fresh in my mind.

I'm liking the flashbacks this season, but I enjoy Dean's a lot more than Sam's. I don't hate the girl like you do, Scarlet, I'm just not feeling the romance when Dean's over there in his flashbacks busting caps in mofos. Dean's are just more exciting.

The monster of the week wasn't super exciting to me, it's nothing we haven't seen before, though the Spector angle was interesting. And I loved the flashback that showed the coin being handed off. That sequence was cool.

But all told this was one of the slower, weaker episodes of the season for me. Still pretty good though, just sayiing in comparison to the rest of the season.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
I'm a few episodes behind. I'll come back when I catch up....
  • scarletbe +1 this

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Do Sam and Dean show up at these Supernatural conventions?!

I love this show as well. Awesome write up, thanks!

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts
Thanks Cerina! Yes Sam & Dean are at the conventions. They are fun. Pretty expensive, to me, but it's my girls gone crazy weekend.

Can't wait to chat more with you about the ep!

I'm a few episodes behind. I'll come back when I catch up....

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Okay, so as far as the episode itself ... I'd just watched it a couple minutes ago actually so its very fresh in my mind.

I'm liking the flashbacks this season, but I enjoy Dean's a lot more than Sam's. I don't hate the girl like you do, Scarlet, I'm just not feeling the romance when Dean's over there in his flashbacks busting caps in mofos. Dean's are just more exciting.

The monster of the week wasn't super exciting to me, it's nothing we haven't seen before, though the Spector angle was interesting. And I loved the flashback that showed the coin being handed off. That sequence was cool.

But all told this was one of the slower, weaker episodes of the season for me. Still pretty good though, just sayiing in comparison to the rest of the season.

I agree! I loved the flashback too. Yeah Sam needs to ball up.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,789 posts
This thread makes me wish I watched Supernatural.
  • Ryn and scarletbe +1 this

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts

I'm going to keep doing these recaps. I hope you'll join in. The first 7 seasons are on Netflix. Eric Kripke is the creator and was the main influence for most of the seasons. Now he is working on Revolution. Hope to see you in the chat!

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts
Hey all! Castiel is back in tonights Supernatural ep, "A Little Slice of Kevin". How did Cas get out of purgatory? Is he the same angel we know and love? Can't wait to find out.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Which version of Cass, though? Original Badass, Rebel, One Of The Gang, Backstabbing Douche, Power Mad Douche, Plumb Full of Crazy, or Purgatory Coward?
  • scarletbe +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,824 posts
Who cares?! Cas is one of the best characters currently on TV, no matter who he is!!
  • scarletbe +1 this

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts
I agree with Cerina! I'm super stoked he's back.

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts
"A Little Slice of Kevin" When I heard this episode name I wasn't sure what to think. Kevin giving up his pinky finger is way beyond anything I thought would happen. How low will demons go? Stealing kids right off the playground. That's about as bad as it gets. I must admit, when the demons kidnapped the little boy I was a tad worried. I really didn't want to see anything bad happen to the kid. I should've had more faith in our Supernatural writers. Loved them playing "We Gotta Get Outta This Place" by The Animals. So fitting for Dean to be listening to that while he deals with his guilt over leaving Cas in Purgatory. But what's this? Is that Cas walking down the side of the road all dirty and beat up? Dean thinks he sees him but then he's gone.

Crowley has the poor Wienie Hut angel and is torturing him. Sorry to say but the Wienie Hut is a fitting place for him to work. He is spilling like a sieve. All the names of the prophets that have been born to date. Fabulous. So that's why all those people are disappearing. Crowley is gathering all the prophets up, likely looking for someone to take Kevin's spot. Speaking of Kevin it's good to see he and mom are doing ok. Mom is back to normal and ready to take on the demons. She's even hired a witch to help. Where do you get a witch you ask? Craig's List. You can get anything on Craig's List! So this little witch says she'll help get the ingredients for the demon bombs for a price. Kevin's mom is way to trusting though and Crowley pays better. The skank has led Crowley and his minions right to Kevin and mom. Crowley is done playing nice and he quickly zaps Kevin to his hideout and tells his lackey to kill mom. Lucky for us this is no ordinary mom. This is tiger mommy! She quickly squirts holy water in the demons face and makes her escape. Woot!

Sam and Dean are tossing around all the names of the people the demons are taking. Trying to figure out the connection. Cas knows the connection they're all prophets. Yeah baby, Cas is back! At this point he isn't sure how he got out but he's out. Back to this prophet thing, apparently there are lots of potential prophets. There can only be one prophet at a given time. Um, so if Kevin is a prophet, what about Chuck? Cas says that Chuck must be dead. Wow. That was an unceremonious departure for Chuck. I really liked Chuck. We could've done with some montage of Chucks greatest moments or something. Maybe on the dvd.

Tiger Mommy calls Sam and they meet up to get Kevin back from Crowley. Sam gets to throw a demon bomb and take out three at once. He hasn't been able to do this since his blood drinking days. Cas and Dean get ambushed and Dean sees that Cas isn't working on full strength. Despite that fact, Castiel goes up against Crowley alone. Good thing too because Crowley is done playing nice and has cut off Kevin's pinky. Kevin has been slowly giving Crowley bits and pieces of the tablet. Nothing complete tho. So Castiel comes in and bluffs Crowley into hiding. Crowley tries to grab the tablet but Castiel, using the very last of his strength, slams his hand down on the table and broke the tablet. Crowley takes half and half is left with the good guys.

During this ep we've had a bunch of flashbacks of the boys trying to escape purgatory. Dean, in his Dean way, has felt boat loads of guilt over not bringing Cas out with him and Benny. Cas finally tells Dean that he can't save everyone. Cas apparently felt he had to do some penance for the wrong he had done on Earth. Cas didn't want to come out and he let go of Dean's hand. Dean is shocked at this but maybe it helps him feel a little better. We know how the Winchester boys like to ride the guilt train though. It's been decided that Garth will look after Kevin and his mom. Once again I'll tell you how I love the fact that Garth is going to become a greater piece of the show. While the three amigos are discussing what to do next Castiel is suddenly whisked away to a bright, clean office space. An angel Naomi is waiting for him. The angels have saved Castiel for purposes of being an informant on the Winchesters. Castiel says he won't do that. Unfortunately, yeah, he will. The angels have him under some kind of mind control. He will report to the angels but won't remember the meetings. What the hell?! Or heaven...I don't know. The angels seem way interested in the boys again. Interesting. They were far less concerned about Crowley and Kevin. I wonder what's in store for our boys that's got all the angels undies in a bunch? Any thoughts?

Next weeks ep looks like it's back to fun and games as Castiel tries to be a hunter. I'm ready for comedy relief!

• ShadowDog and Foxglove +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I'm swamped this week but I hope to check out this episode by tomorrow and be back with my comments.
  • scarletbe +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts

Me too. What else was on when it premiered? Because I recall I felt weary of the genre at that time, so I didn't bother.

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Me too. What else was on when it premiered? Because I recall I felt weary of the genre at that time, so I didn't bother.

Well, I searched for the fall lineup for 2008. Really don't see very much that would be like Supernatural. Chuck, Pushing Daisies, Fringe. I think maybe you didn't watch because it's on the CW. They didn't do so much in your face marketing then. Plus it started out on Thursday night and it was up against Grey's which, incidentally, I haven't watched. If you have netflix give it a try. The crew works hard to make every detail count.
  • Ryn +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,824 posts
I'll just say it. I was really disappointed with the way the boys got out of purgatory. I think I was secretly hoping for some real drama, like Cas had to sacrifice himself so Dean could get out or Dean had to sacrifice Cas....
  • scarletbe +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I didn't mind that really. I had more of a problem with Cas bluffing Crowley. Why would Cas need to build up a big light show, if he had to power to kill Crowley he'd just do it rather than trying to warn him off. Crowley's very ****ing smart, so he should have figured this out and called Cas' bluff. I didn't buy it.

Here's a question. You know those two leviathans that were there in Purgatory right before Dean crossed over? I freeze framed it for the one frame they showed the woman's face and I'm 75% positive it was Amanda Tapping (who plays Naomi). If you go back and look at that sequence, look at how careful they are to never really show her face. The camera's either behind her or in that one frame I mentioned pretty far away and it gets got to another angle immediately.

If I'm right, this raises some interesting implications about what's really going on here. Was Naomi an angel pretending to be a leviathan or is she a leviathan pretending to be an angel? Or am I wrong?
  • scarletbe +1 this

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts
Awesome points both of you! I was a bit disappointed with the Purgatory thing too. I know they couldn't leave Dean down there but it just seemed a little too easy. Maybe after Dean escaped Leviathan/Angel Naomi somehow got Castiel out. Then he could keep an eye on the Winchesters. Love that you freeze framed that. =) We really don't know that Cas was in Heaven. As far as Cas bluffing Crowley I thought that was cool. I agree Crowley is a smart cookie. I think that things have maybe not been going his way so much so he's more cautious. I hate the fact that Cas is being used as a puppet for the Leviathans(?) Since you've pointed that out it makes more and more sense to me. I wonder if we'll get to see Dick Roman again or if he is truly dead. Loved James Patrick Stuart in that role.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Ah, Dick Roman was ... well ... a Dick. LOL
  • scarletbe +1 this

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
These are wonderful recaps, Scarletbe! Thank you!

I'm not sold on the idea that the blond female leviethan was Amanda Tapping. I can see where you could say that but I don't know. I mean if she is then how could she impersonate an angel? Whisk Cass away, make him follow her orders, then send him back the same second he left. I don't know. We know leviethans have the power to kill angels but we've never seen them have the power to make an angel their bitch. Not like that.

It's an interesting theory though.
  • scarletbe +1 this

scarletbe

scarletbe

• Members
  • 16 posts
Thanks Foxglove! I know what you mean. If she is a Leviathan that's either giving them an enormous amount of power or making Cas incredibly weak. It was such a shocker to us all. I'm looking forward to Cas learning to be a hunter this week. Love his awkwardness. Remember what he learned by watching the pizza man on tv???

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
You guys make good points. That does seem unlikely that Naomi is a leviathan, which means if it was her we saw in Purgatory, then she's an angel who was posing as a leviathan in there to make sure Dean and Cas got out.

That's my working theory right now, anyway.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supernatural, winchester, cw, sam, dean, castiel