Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

X-Men: Days of Future Past

X-MEN Days of Future Past Bryan Singer x-men movie x-men movie 2014 x-men first class 2 x-men 5

352 replies to this topic

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,133 posts

Every time I see this thread title, I'm like,

Nights in white satin.

Never reaching the end.

Letters I've written.

Never meaning to send.

CAUSE I LOVE YOU! YES I LOVE YOU! WHOAAAAAA HOW I LOVE YOUUUUU!!!!!!

Yep.

Anyway.

Am I the only person who liked First Class? Anyway, I haven't read the comic, but this sounds like a good way to continue with the movies.

I love First Class. Every time that I see it on, I turn on that channel.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

Maybe DOFP will be a past, future, and present story, with the future being a Bishop type of future, and the alternate timeline branching off due to X actions in the present, not the past.

I just hope a sports almanac is not involved.

My guess is that the future in this film is divergent from x1, where Magneto didn't cause Senator Kelly to die.
Honestly, when people complain about continuity errors from Firsr Class I feel like they are complaining about it being divergent from the comics-- it's not any divergent from the first three x-films than they are from each other.

Also, they've said that the wolverine film is not a follow up to Origins, but a post x-men time frame, after his time with them.

What I would like in the end is for them to establish a new continuity moving forward with First Class, be with young characters brought to the modern era for the next one, or for a new timeline in the past to be established.

The only things I want to see undone is Cyclops and Professor X dying, and for the cure in X3 to be reversed or minimized.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

wearing out welcome since 2009

• Supporters
  • 8,625 posts

I don't know. In DOFP you have two timelines, past and future, and ultimately the events of the past wipe out the future in a T2 kind of way. If you don't wipe out the future, I don't know how you can call it DOFP. And since wiping out the future would essentially create an alternate reality, I think we're looking at a reboot, and I'm all for it.

Let's wait for a script first and see how everything is tied together, before pissing all over it. I mean if they can't work this out with a good script and botch if further, you have a point, and maybe then it IS time for a reboot. But it could just as easily be a good one, too. And you are never going to get a straight up adaptation of DOFP anyway...just too much to fit into even a trilogy. You are just going to have a movie inspired by it. And hopefully a good writer can do a good job.

If Xmen 3 gets wiped out, or at least the ending changes due to this upcoming movie, then I say mission accomplished. That is the only x-movie I really have a problem with right now.
  • Copper and Driver +1 this

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,476 posts

If Xmen 3 gets wiped out, or at least the ending changes due to this upcoming movie, then I say mission accomplished. That is the only x-movie I really have a problem with right now.

This. Absolutely.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts

Refresh my memory, how were things different prior to Nero getting there?

Character ages by virtue to cast + character's relative positions, data presented on screen etc.
Lack of established characters of paramount importance to character history and personality.
Starship size, type et al.

Some things can be attributed to "new artist, but it's supposed to be a prequel". That's stomachable.

However; In AbramsTrek Kirk has no older brother. Kirk is supposed to have an older brother named Sam that has a pivotal impact on Kirk's outlook on life. Nero appeared during Kirk's gestation. Nero's effect started from that point. The lack of Sam being mentioned, referenced or seen at any time cannot be explained by Nero's alterations and it cannot be explained away logically by "it didn't come up". The first act of the film spent time showing young Kirk. Kirk's past is in fact a theme throughout the film.

Further without knowing the full extent of just what Nero did after he arrived it's premature to say the following cannot at all have changed due to him, butterfly effect and all, but with that said... None of the characters attended the academy at the same time, whether by personal motivation or age requirement. Chekov is too young and biologically speaking simply wouldn't be Chekov. Could be named Pavel Chekov, could be of Chekov's parents but he wouldn't BE Chekov.

In addition at no time does Spock-Prime act as himself if it is in fact supposed to be an altered timeline. In every story in Trek, when the Prime Hero witnesses a catastrophic change to the past they do not rest until it is set right. Why? Because as Spock literally says in City on the Edge of Forever, "... millions will die who did not die before."

No. Everything presented in Abramstrek, and don't get me wrong I think it's cool (proviso), it exists as a Parallel Universe (not unlike the Mirror Universe, but not that). If it exists as the writer's and director in their descriptions of it say... as simply an altered timeline, then Spock-Prime much to Nero's assertion... IS THE VILLAIN.

Edited by The Human Torch, 29 November 2012 - 04:41 PM.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts

And you are never going to get a straight up adaptation of DOFP anyway...just too much to fit into even a trilogy.

DOFP-proper is only two issues.
  • Tex +1 this

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Near as I can tell, the continuity issues between First Class and X1 are pretty minimal. The only two that really stuck out are, one, that Charles went into the chair at the end of First Class, but we saw him walking in the flashbacks in X3 and in his cameo at the end of Wolverine Origins. And two, X1 says that Magneto helped Charles build Cerebro, and new how to make his helmet to block it later. In First class, Hank builds Cerebro and Magneto steals the helmet from Sebastain Shaw.

But you know... wiggle room. Charles has been in and out of the chair a million times in the comics, no reason the same couldn't be true here. Charles was present when Hank was building Cerebro, and technically, the helmet in X1 is slightly different than Shaw's-- it could have been refined by him after seeing cerebro.

And clearly, as in the comic, the friendship between Magneto and Charles is something that waxes and wanes.

So the way I see it, First Class and X1-X3 can easily be the same universe without that much continuity kerfuffle.

The next film seems to me, will work like this: given that Patrick Stewart is in it, that means Professor X is alive in the future segments of the film. That means it is NOT in continuity with the other films since he died in X3. I know the comics, and the X3 post credits scene both offer up ways he could come back, it would be really clunky to have to take the time to explain that in the film that he is likely NOT the center of.

So the FUTURE of Days of Future Past is an alternate timeline than X1-X3. Given Millar's comment about it being T2esque, I think Sentinels from this future are sent back in time to hunt the X-Men in their infancy, because in the future they are about to overthrow the anti-mutant status quo. In that future Xavier is alive, and who knows what other cameos they may give us.

First Class is a common point of continuity, the the timelines split during the events of Days of Future Past. Kind like this:

xtime.jpg

This seems like the only way the could do it. What I am curious about, is where do they go from there? They could go one of two directions-- they could have all the characters from First Class stranded in the future at the end, which would allow them to have a modern setting (since studios think people dislike period films) with characters from both sets of films.

Or, stay in the past, while continuing to make films in continuity that take place before X1-X3, possibly bringing older characters back in time with them. In the comics, several characters are from displaced timelines. Cable, Bishop, Rachel Summers/Grey, etc.

Either way, they have the potential to merge casts here.

I agree with everyone else though, the real problems are with the things done in X3. So the first option of moving ahead, modern times, in the alternate timeline would let them use both casts and ignore the events of those films. Or maybe, knowing what they do of the future, Charles and Xavier change up their game plans, and the continuity becomes X1-X3 and future films will fit into that continuity.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
^ ^Yeah, that (Ryn's post) I'm certainly not expecting the to work Bishop, Cable, or Apocalypse into the story. Just going with the initial story in Uncanny 141 and 142 is enough. A bonus scene teasing Apoc as the next villain might be a nice touch, though.

And I certainly don't expect it to mimic those issues. As you may recall Magneto was a non factor, and he'll surely play a bigger role in the movie. The opposite can be said for Kitty, Colossus, and Rachel Summers, all players in the original story who may not even appear at all in the film.

And they certainly can't use Kelly. He's already dead. My guess is that they'll introduce a new mutant hating politician that the Brotherhood targets.

And Chalup who's pissing on anything right now? I think everyone's been very positive about this.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
I wonder if Kelly getting killed in X1 is maybe the point at which the timelines diverge.

Wait...

Holy crap, what if the "future" parts of the movie coincide with X1? Like back to the future part 2 style?

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts

So the FUTURE of Days of Future Past is an alternate timeline than X1-X3. Given Millar's comment about it being T2esque, I think Sentinels from this future are sent back in time to hunt the X-Men in their infancy, because in the future they are about to overthrow the anti-mutant status quo. In that future Xavier is alive, and who knows what other cameos they may give us.

I didn't know he mentioned T2, but he was probably referring to the protagonists changing the future rather than the antagonists changing the past since that's what actually happened in DOFP.

This seems like the only way the could do it. What I am curious about, is where do they go from there? They could go one of two directions-- they could have all the characters from First Class stranded in the future at the end, which would allow them to have a modern setting (since studios think people dislike period films) with characters from both sets of films.

I doubt it. In DOFP nobody travelled into the future, and if you did that you'd have McAvoy and Fassebender with X1-X3 characters. I don't see that working.

I agree with everyone else though, the real problems are with the things done in X3. So the first option of moving ahead, modern times, in the alternate timeline would let them use both casts and ignore the events of those films. Or maybe, knowing what they do of the future, Charles and Xavier change up their game plans, and the continuity becomes X1-X3 and future films will fit into that continuity.

They definitely have to erase X3, if for no other reason than to bring back Scott, Charles, and Jean. My bet is that the ending will have some reference to all three of them being alive and well.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts

I wonder if Kelly getting killed in X1 is maybe the point at which the timelines diverge.

Wait...

Holy crap, what if the "future" parts of the movie coincide with X1? Like back to the future part 2 style?

I hope not. Having X men time travel to X 1 sounds awful messy to me, especially considering that technically only Kitty time travelled in DOFP.

I think having multiple X Men time travel would cheapen the story. Part of the coolness of DOFP was old Kitty brain in young Kitty body having to convince the X Men to take action. If they tried to pull this with the X1 crew I don't think it would work.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Fine by me!

If I were a studio head, the one thing I would want for this franchise to have going forward is Fassbender and Jackman in the same film. That's where the big money lies.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
I WANT APOCALYPSE AND SINISTER, GODDAMNIT

Brett

Brett

• 1,976 posts
I like Hugh Jackman, but I think I'm the only person who doesn't like him as Wolverine.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
If Fox wants to tap into the magic that the Avengers did, they're gonna have to go the epic route. To do this they're going to need Apocalypse and Sinister, and all the time travel weirdness that comes with it.

I want to see an Age of Apocalypse story, but I realize that's gonna take some time.

I like Hugh Jackman, but I think I'm the only person who doesn't like him as Wolverine.

who would you prefer?

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

wearing out welcome since 2009

• Supporters
  • 8,625 posts

And Chalup who's pissing on anything right now? I think everyone's been very positive about this.

Just a figure of speech is all, and just mean no reboot needed at this point. Not a criticism towards you, though.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
I'd be down for Sinister and Apocalypse if they were scaled down a little. Sinister could work, he's a mad scientist basically that's making Omega level mutants. That actually jives with the story. Apocalypse is just too... much? I'm not a fan of Thanos coming to Avengers either. There's a point at which it becomes to big that they lose what little bit of groundedness they have.

Genosha would be fun to visit. Or the Mutant Massacre. I always liked Inferno, but that's too out there with magic. The X-films are rooted in scifi. I'd be fine with a Brood storyline too.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Later versions of Apocalypse were definitely too much and definitely wouldn't work in the films. I think you could tone him down enough to make it work, though. Sooner or later they're gonna have to introduce a new mutant archvillain, and I think he's their best bet.

Something about Sinister has always bugged me. Part of it's his name. Just as the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants is a dumb name because no one would ever refer to themselves as "evil" (and was appropriately changed for the movies) I don't think anyone would ever refer to themselves as "Sinister." I like the idea of him messing with DNA and genes, but I don't see him being anything more than a lackey for Apoc.

Brett

Brett

• 1,976 posts

who would you prefer?

I don't know, I just don't like the mostly level-headed, suave version of Wolverine.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
I smell a new thread coming so we don't derail... :rock:

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,380 posts
Hugh Jackman's confirmed.
  • Copper +1 this

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
oh god Michael Fassbender and Hugh Jackman in one movie. my ovaries just exploded.

the only thing that could make this better was if Viggo Mortensen and Robert Downey Jr. joined in the fun. I'm pretty sure I would just go insane.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,133 posts
This really sounds good.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
It'd be great if it were true, but Singer tweeted the same thing about Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen and then they both said that they were not confirmed yet. So... :shrug:

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts

Honestly, when people complain about continuity errors from Firsr Class I feel like they are complaining about it being divergent from the comics-- it's not any divergent from the first three x-films than they are from each other.

It's really x 3 and first class that clash, same with origins and flirst class. Orgins because of Frost, but x-3 because in x-3 they show Prof x walking when meeting Jean, but in first class a younger Professor x is crippled and wheelchair bound.

At least, those are the big two errors I've noticed.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-MEN, Days of Future Past, Bryan Singer, x-men movie, x-men movie 2014, x-men first class 2, x-men 5