Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

The Human Torch

Finished main story twice up to lvl 20 with both characters, and tried another character up to lvl 15. Pretty solid game. I enjoyed it the whole time I played through.

I have a few gripes with it but nothing too major...well..... except for a couple of issues that I consider significant let downs. Unfortunately all the big problems I see with it I cant really discuss until you guys finish.

35 hours in, level 11, one story mission done (opening), hinterlands almost completed, storm coast basically completed, fallow mire completed. My Inquisition is level 5, 65 power points banked and I have several agents too. Approx 6000 gold. Also tricked out with crafted items that are better than can be found or bought, atm at least. I've avoided Dragons, still playing on Nightmare.

Just finished 'wicked eyes and wicked hearts' a part of the main quest. I've got the options unlocked to be a knight enchanter or a rift mage. Did a hard save and I'm messing around with knight enchanter right now. I'll try rift mage soon and decide between the two.

I did defeat my first dragon today. The one in Hinterlands. I'm currently level 16.

I use my PC/mage, an archer rogue and two shield tanks. I find the Shield/Vanguard tanks have superior surviability and work well as a duo.

Nightmare. Lvl13 no specializations... yet.

Characters built up as base classes.

Mage; Spirit based with the right side of the barrier pool. The group targeted fire spell and the single target ice spell. Preferred Abilities are Barrier and Static Cage with damage upgrade.

Rogue; All of archery except for the leaping attack. The left side of poison pool. The first stealth power, invisibilty. Preferred Abilities are Poison Weapons and Toxic Cloud.

Warrior: All of vanguard except Bull Charge. Majority of Sword/Shield. Hook and chain of Battlemaster. Preferred abilities are Challenge and Unbowed.

In tactics I set my rogue and one warrior to Defend=Cassandra. I set 10% reserve, no auto use potions at 2 left, 10% health prompt for potion use. The rogue needs to be babied sometimes when they choose to get too close to the melee/combat, I press tactics cam at that point and just Move to Point, then go back to live play.

Me/Elf/Mage- focus is magic attacks, defense and knight enchanter.

Dorian- focus is fullblown magic attacks and necromancy.

Cassandra- focus is attack, shield and templar.

Iron Bull- focus is fullblown attack and reaver.

I've used this group since i've collected Dorian and Iron Bull. I've used Cassandra since the beginning. Part of me wishes that i had used Solas instead of Dorian, because i really would have liked a rift mage in my party instead of a necromancer, but i just really liked dorian from the moment i met him, and i just never enjoyed solas.

out of all the characters, iron bull is probably my favorite. he's an absolute stud. the way i have my party set up, works out pretty well for me. i'm sure there's better out there, but i like having two mages standing back (although, now that my character is a knight enchanter, i don't stand back nearly as often as i used too, especially epic battles. rifts and such, i usually stand back.) and two warriors wreaking havoc, while i cast barrier, dispel, etc. when needed.

It's funny how i beat the hildenbrand dragon. i was level 14 at the time, i didn't have my party outfitted with anti-fire armor, i just figured i could wing it. well, after having the dragon down to 1/4 of life, 3 of my party members were dead, and i had one potion left. i decided to run. i ran towards the cove and fell into the water and drowned. once that happened, my entire party was summoned up, all members with half life, and i was able to slay the dragon. pretty cheap, but i'll take it. next time, i'll be better prepared and actually equip armor that makes sense.

as for now, i'm just trying to hit as many rifts as i can, hit some sidequests along the way, and hit the next main mission. i am considering my next dragon slay. storm coast, i'm thinking.

one more thing? has anyone come across any giants? i did at the desert/oasis area. are there more? i slayed him, but if there's more, i'd like to run into them. they seemed easy enough.

Wow that is an interesting way to get the Dragon, David. haha What I found best for me was to run around and bring everybody back as soon as they died. Even if it means switching off of my character to somebody who was standing closer to the corpse.

At first I tried to just take the dragon solo after they died but that's just a fools game. Once I started picking people up immediately after they died, I was nearly unstoppable against them.

There are more giants in one of the forests. They are no joke though. i was able to take the one on the storm coast without too much trouble. But once I got to the forest they run around in large numbers and I had to get lucky with one or try to avoid detection at all.

To comment on your next Dragon, I'll say that the Storm Coast dragon opens up after you have done some other quests. You have to be able to get into the Red Lyrium cave system thing on that map, which is locked up until some missions later on. That Dragon destroyed me when I first tried him, after killing 3 others previously.

As for my party, I was always Iron Bull, Dorian and Sera.

I really wanted to use sera, but couldn't part with what I had. I haven't used Cole once. As a matter of fact, he's got 16 pts waiting to be used. But I've done some of his side quests, made him more human, etc. My next playthrough I'd like to use sera.

I think the Red Lyrium is connected to Varrics sidequest stuff. So in that case, it's worth finding it.

As for Sera, I looooved having her in the party. Not really so much for the combat, but all her idle banter was fantastic. But then, I romanced Sera too. Seems like you either love her or you hate her. Her and Iron Bull together had a ton of great stuff. I didn't use Cole once either and don't regret it. Think he is the weakest of all the characters.

Whenever I play it again, I feel obligated to bring around some other people just to see the banter, but man it's going to be tough. I feel like those three are MY people.

And don't feel bad about spending the gold. I rarely ever bought anything all through my playthrough. I recommend the mystery box in Orlais though.

Sera and Dorian are such a laugh. Their banter is great, Varric was good fun too but Sera made me laugh too much so I swapped them out.

I am a Rogue - mostly double daggers but with a couple of sabotage (mainly poison) and a few subterfuge/stealth as well. Just got a good stealth (I think it's deadly blow or something) which is good and the sleeping power.

I have Sera fully almost archered up (with stealth added in for a quick escape in bad situations). Best ability - Full shot. Pretty much kills anything of a lower level instantly (as long as it's the first hit)

Dorian - has a staff that does cold damage but I have him split between the storm and inferno branches, plus barrier for a bit of protection.

Iron Bull - double handed weapon and battle master speciality. Only just got him and I just let the computer wade through everybody as it knows what it's doing more than me at the moment!

When I had Cassandra I had her as a sword/shield and vanguard. I don't think I invested much in Varric, Solas or Vivenne too much.

I pick my party based on banter and those three are the funniest.

I just unlocked Skyhold, literally turned if of f after that epic cut scene that went on forever! I did get chills when the song started up at the makeshift camp, but that ought just have been because I was tired!!!!

Ha! Funny you should say that but that song part made me roll my eyes. So over the top, especially when the guy starts singing and his expression matches his delivery perfectly. So cheesey. Plus the audio mix didn't work for where they were which really busted the immersion for me. There was waaaaaaaaay too much reverb, sounded like they were in a massive cathedral. Which is fine for long shots, as it would echo off the mountains. But when the camera was in the camp the sound should have been much more dry as all that snow would dampen all the sound considerably. I know it sounds picky but it was a massive immersion breaker for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.