Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

The Human Torch

Previous Games: Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2

Dragon Age 3: Announcement

What We Knew (as of Nov. 2012):

Human Player Character

Mass Effect Style selectable, but not playable origins

What Has Been Hinted At:

Developer blogs and tweets have shown they are working towards more customization for both the player character and the companions. It's assumed this means skill sets, armor and weapons not just things like hairstyles and epic beards etc. It has also been said that the map designs are being heavily reworked, that one work-in-progress environment is larger than all the DA2 maps combined. The game's title, Inquisition, suggests this will continue on with the Mage (aka Science) vs Templar (aka Religion) war that was started in DA2.

The Rumors:

Morrigan returns with even less clothing

Flemeth returns angrier than ever

The Warden and Hawke get cameos

Liliana's "possible death in DAO but being alive in DA2" gets explained

fan favorite DLC character Shale might return

Varric plays a large role again

After the disappointment that was DA2 to many players, who is willing to give this third installment a chance?

Everyone tells me that Dragon Age games are awesome. I even have one sitting on my shelf.

Haven't played them at all. :shrug:

Are they really that awesome?

No. Nothing ever is. But I had fun with them.

DAO is so "old" now in how it plays however that it might not even seem fun to many. It felt old even when it was new. The cool part was the story, which while little more than unknown hero saves world was performed by the characters so well you didn't care it was cookie cutter. The characters made it rad. DA2 then turned that old gameplay into Press X For Awesome, which unfortunately removed a lot of the challenge even though it looked cool. DA2 still had quality characters and the story wasn't so bad, it can be argued the story was daring in how it presented The Tragic Hero trope in a RPG, however the repetitiveness and "smallness" of the game made it a great disappointment.

Super Mario 3 is that awesome.

I don't really play that many games, despite what my wife thinks, and rarely play RPGs unless they're handheld, and even then it's rare, so maybe I'll like DAO when I get to it

I've put well over 120 hours into DAO between three characters.

a Mace Windu Mage

a King Arthur Dwarf

a Robin Hood Elf

DAO had replayability because of the differences in key decisions. It also helped that as the story develops there are different ways to respond to characters and the characters then respond differently to you, also different little side things unlock based on three basic personality responses (Diplomatic, Ends Justify Means, Smart Ass). You can be "evil" too a bit, but it's sorta just "in your mind" as there aren't a lot of chances to be Palpatine.

The DAO save file can then be imported into DA2 so "your story" carries over. I only played DA2 once so far, and imported my Robin Hood Elf file for that. I should explain you don't play as your DAO character in DA2, just that the import allows DA2 to know the Who and What that happened in the previous game based on how you played.

If you piss her off with the prank gifts you can then get her back into the neutral position where she will usually "reset" and then she will give you her quest.

Unfortunately fiddling with her like this often breaks any romance possibilities. But it should reinitiate the personal quest.

The key to starting it is getting her to say, "I lied to you..." And then she talks about why she was in the Chantry.

Once she says that, whether it's right after Lothering or whatever then the random encounter that is the next part of the quest will fire.

I say often and usually above because while it can reset her, it doesn't always. Also while it can break the romance, it doesn't always.

I tweaked her like this and I managed to reinitiate the personal quest, but keep the romance alive. Also her romance then stayed active even though we supposedly broke up when I finally chose Morrigan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Morrigan (seductive voice): It gets SO cold here all alone in this tent ...

The Warden: "Then get a thicker blanket."

I damn near pissed myself laughing at that one. Oghren also had me spittin' my coffee a few times in Awakening, especially when he was hitting on Sigrun. If DA3 has more scenes like that, I'm in!

You know that's right.[/Gus from Psych]

That cutting wit was misplaced in DA2, making Hawke just seem like an ass... eg. Hawke finds the remains of a guy's dead sister, delivers them and then says to him, "I found your reason for living." LMAO Douchebag!

But in DA:O and Awakening the writing was just spot on. I too hope DA3 has more of that spirit.

My only other request is to make character classes other than mage actually be worth playing as a main character. This is the single biggest problem, the single only problem really, I had with Origins. Also, I'd make chain lightning more useful. No charge up time and more damage, so that it can actually compete with fireball for usefulness.

• 1 year later...

A cool thing about this game will be The Keep, which is a free online World State building application. It is Bioware's answer to cross platform, cross gen "save file" importing. No one knows exactly how it will look, but basically you can click thru every meaningful decision point from all prior games including DLCs so that you can have your custom World State.

Not sure if you guys noticed but in that trailer DA2's protagonist, Hawke, is there in female form. That has been officially confirmed as being her. However it isn't her look for everyone of course so BioWare has also confirmed that the Keep will somehow allow us to customize prior protags for their appearances in this sequel.

• 1 month later...

I have credit at a shop so will probably pre-order. Its gonna be great cause the only other RPG I've had available on PS4 until now really is Bound By Flame and that was a comedically mixed bag.

I hope the story in this is solid. I really do. But I think it will be, given all the little notes and bits of lore scattered about and from what dialogue I have heard. Little details hint to something bigger and greater. Heres hoping.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.