Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Captain America Captain America 2 Marvel Comics The Avengers superheroes

141 replies to this topic

pavonis

pavonis

• 6,904 posts

But the tendency to dull primary colors down for the sake of presenting comic based films as "gritty" or realistic tends to rob the characters of their fantastic look.

Who needs a fantastic look when you have fantastic abilities? Fantastic looks are for still imagery.

That was the problem with the X-Men movies, where they were running around in faux biker outfits, instead of anything evocative of the source. This latest Superman? More of the same--dark, and darker. Some producers need to drop their apparent "shame" of the very thing that helped put the "super" in superhero.

Wrong. What put the super in superhero is the ability, not the look. And some, if not all, of these comics outfits worn by superheroes are absolutely ridiculous. Most of them were inspired by circus performers who wore leotards and trunks - back in the 1940s! Not to mention that drawing a buff hero in skin tight outfits was much easier than drawing the folds and stretches of real clothing. When you shift the story from a static medium to an active one, why retain the limitations of the earlier medium? 

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
My utter disdain for Alex Ross makes agree. That said, I'm not a fan over every superhero post Matrix having the same outfit. Check out Mass Effect cosplayers, motorcross gear, and any live action Japanese movie adaption of an anime and you'll see tons of possibilities that can capture color and bombastic style without being hokey spandex or the usual black battle armor look.
  • The Human Torch, Brett, Ryn and 1 other +1 this

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,777 posts

This really was a great movie.  From the previews and the positive feedback I had heard about it, my hopes were quite high and it more than lived up to those expectations.  Where the broad strokes of the plot was headed were pretty clear to me beforehand, it was still a great time watching the movie get there.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
When you make a movie about Abraham Lincoln you don't put him in a Baseball Cap because you don't like Top Hats, or don't see anyone wear them in "real life".

With tha said, you can get Superman's look without Lycra.

pavonis

pavonis

• 6,904 posts

Abraham Lincoln was real. The Falcon is not. Neither are defined by their clothing, anyway. 

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
That's true but misses his point.

But anyway, just saw it and it was ****ing awesome. Second only to Avengers.

pavonis

pavonis

• 6,904 posts

What was his point, then?

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Where's Spliff when you need her?
  • Cerina +1 this

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• Moderators
  • 19,524 posts

Just went to see it and loved it! The action scenes were much better than the first movie which had too many montage action scenes.

My big question is who did Peggy Carter actually marry? Was it Stark?

No, Stark married someone named Maria and both were killed at some point by Hydra.  It was in that whole montage of stuff that Hydra was responsible for.  Dunno who Peggy married.

Edited by Jedi Cool, 08 April 2014 - 05:06 PM.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
I keep reading that other sites and posters have also been wondering about Peggy's husband. I guess that's been kept purposely vague.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,736 posts

The fact that she ever had a husband is important, but I don't think the comics ever cared who he was, did they?

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,777 posts

I don't know about the main Marvel universe, but while Peggy didn't exactly exist in the Ultimate line, her equivalent got married to Bucky.  Of course, that wouldn't exactly work here at all.

I'm assuming that that line from her was part of a set-up for the rumored Peggy Carter tv show.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,389 posts

I hope it's Dum Dum.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Haha, I was going to post I hope it wasn't.

"Bi-ki-ni."

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Maybe no one remembers her husband because it's Sentry! Haha. You know, because no one remembers him.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts

I hope it's Dum Dum.

I asked my friend if she married the guy with the eyes and the mustache and the bowler hat. Then she said his name was Dum Dum and I wanted that to be true even more. 

I liked the movie, even though the spy/political thriller genre isn't my favorite. I do wonder if they needed The Winter Soldier in it at all. They could have kept his existence a secret and then dropped the Bucky bomb in the end credits scene. Despite that, I am very excited about him going after Winter Solder. And I really hope they give Black Widow her own movie. Or pair her with Hawkeye. Just give me more of her, please. 

• The Human Torch +1 this

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Dum Dum is Hawk from Star Trek First Contact, btw. Hawk was the coolest "redshirt" ever.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
You remember him from First Contact!? Not Minority Report, Justified, Band of Brothers or the fact he voiced Green Arrow for a billion different DC cartoons? BAD NERD!!
  • The Human Torch and Ryn +1 this

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,426 posts
That was THE BEST Chevy commercial I've ever seen!!! And the movie was pretty dammed good too. Marvels plan is not only well thought out, but it is being executed to perfection.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I first saw him in Star Trek so he'll always be Hawk to me.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,736 posts

You remember him from First Contact!? Not Minority Report, Justified, Band of Brothers or the fact he voiced Green Arrow for a billion different DC cartoons? BAD NERD!!

McDonough did Green Arrow's voice for exactly one (1) short that IMDb somehow milks for three separate credits.  Kin Shriner was GA's regular voice on Justice League Unlimited.

FAKE GEEK BOY.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Pwned.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
I NAMED OTHER THINGS

Justus

Justus

• 13,058 posts

Who needs a fantastic look when you have fantastic abilities? Fantastic looks are for still imagery.

Because films of this nature are using superhero characters. This is not The Matrix.

Wrong. What put the super in superhero is the ability, not the look. And some, if not all, of these comics outfits worn by superheroes are absolutely ridiculous.

Incorrect. Costumes are part of the character--the aura and sale of the superhero as being as visually distinct from the average person on the street as the ability.Decades of publishing (and most adaptations) recognize that ability alone is not "superheroic" enough. Why is the latest screen Spider-man not wearing coveralls or gym tights? If the character's heroic nature was limited to ability alone, it would not matter (even from a creative standpoint) what he wears.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts

tRX8pq4.jpg

Oops.

Spoiler

• Ryn and Driver +1 this

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Captain America, Captain America 2, Marvel Comics, The Avengers, superheroes