Iceheart

Because films of this nature are using superhero characters. This is not The Matrix.

I don't understand. It's not sufficient to translate a superhero from page to screen? It has to be 100% faithful to the detail, or it's an insult to the character and/or fans, somehow?

Wrong. What put the super in superhero is the ability, not the look. And some, if not all, of these comics outfits worn by superheroes are absolutely ridiculous.

Why is the latest screen Spider-man not wearing coveralls or gym tights? If the character's heroic nature was limited to ability alone, it would not matter (even from a creative standpoint) what he wears.

I don't know. Why isn't Spider-man not wearing coveralls and gym tights? He could, couldn't he? He'd still stick to walls and be super-strong, wouldn't he? He'd still be motivated to protect Aunt May and Mary Jane in coveralls and gym tights. Isn't Spider-man the one who has gone into battle wearing a sack over his head? The Amazing Bag-Man, eh? How many versions of Spidey's costume have there been in the comics? Which one is the authentic one? Which one is right?

I don't really get your point, and I honestly would like to understand your position. I can appreciate that you don't think the producers are being respectful of the character, but I just think you're stuck on the visuals when the character's abilities and personality are what define the character, not their costume.

I'm not a comics reader. I don't know anything about them beyond what I can gather from pop culture and skimming of Wikipedia. Of the two of us, I'm the one the movie producers are aiming to get into the theater. The comics fans will see the movie regardless, even if only to disparage it thoroughly. You're a built-in audience, so pandering to you won't attract more viewers, while not pandering to you won't appreciably hurt sales. I'm far less likely to see these comic book movies if the trailers and commercials make the characters look subjectively "goofy", though. Imagine The Dark Knight with Christian Bale playing Batman in a bright blue spandex tights version of Batman's costume. I'd not have bothered seeing the film at all, much less purchasing a DVD of it. "Authentic" or "iconic" comics costumes look pretty goofy in live action, so they're changed for the medium.

I am sick and tired of the black latex/leather/armor look for 90% of all movie superheroes-- but I'm also not going to be a fan of spandex on screen. My problem is color. There's no reason to be afraid of bold color. Fabric is the issue, not color.

I know that is Supes and not 'Murica, but it is an example of how you can get a new look without second skin spandex.

I would remove the boots. Full length dark blue pants over dark blue shoes/boots (not tucked in), that tunic (almost a TOS uni style if you think a about it), the same color undershirt. It would look great IRL.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.