Iceheart

But the tendency to dull primary colors down for the sake of presenting comic based films as "gritty" or realistic tends to rob the characters of their fantastic look.

Who needs a fantastic look when you have fantastic abilities? Fantastic looks are for still imagery.

That was the problem with the X-Men movies, where they were running around in faux biker outfits, instead of anything evocative of the source. This latest Superman? More of the same--dark, and darker. Some producers need to drop their apparent "shame" of the very thing that helped put the "super" in superhero.

Wrong. What put the super in superhero is the ability, not the look. And some, if not all, of these comics outfits worn by superheroes are absolutely ridiculous. Most of them were inspired by circus performers who wore leotards and trunks - back in the 1940s! Not to mention that drawing a buff hero in skin tight outfits was much easier than drawing the folds and stretches of real clothing. When you shift the story from a static medium to an active one, why retain the limitations of the earlier medium?

My utter disdain for Alex Ross makes agree. That said, I'm not a fan over every superhero post Matrix having the same outfit. Check out Mass Effect cosplayers, motorcross gear, and any live action Japanese movie adaption of an anime and you'll see tons of possibilities that can capture color and bombastic style without being hokey spandex or the usual black battle armor look.

This really was a great movie. From the previews and the positive feedback I had heard about it, my hopes were quite high and it more than lived up to those expectations. Where the broad strokes of the plot was headed were pretty clear to me beforehand, it was still a great time watching the movie get there.

Just went to see it and loved it! The action scenes were much better than the first movie which had too many montage action scenes.

My big question is who did Peggy Carter actually marry? Was it Stark?

No, Stark married someone named Maria and both were killed at some point by Hydra. It was in that whole montage of stuff that Hydra was responsible for. Dunno who Peggy married.

I don't know about the main Marvel universe, but while Peggy didn't exactly exist in the Ultimate line, her equivalent got married to Bucky. Of course, that wouldn't exactly work here at all.

I'm assuming that that line from her was part of a set-up for the rumored Peggy Carter tv show.

I hope it's Dum Dum.

I asked my friend if she married the guy with the eyes and the mustache and the bowler hat. Then she said his name was Dum Dum and I wanted that to be true even more.

I liked the movie, even though the spy/political thriller genre isn't my favorite. I do wonder if they needed The Winter Soldier in it at all. They could have kept his existence a secret and then dropped the Bucky bomb in the end credits scene. Despite that, I am very excited about him going after Winter Solder. And I really hope they give Black Widow her own movie. Or pair her with Hawkeye. Just give me more of her, please.

You remember him from First Contact!? Not Minority Report, Justified, Band of Brothers or the fact he voiced Green Arrow for a billion different DC cartoons? BAD NERD!!

McDonough did Green Arrow's voice for exactly one (1) short that IMDb somehow milks for three separate credits. Kin Shriner was GA's regular voice on Justice League Unlimited.

FAKE GEEK BOY.

Who needs a fantastic look when you have fantastic abilities? Fantastic looks are for still imagery.

Because films of this nature are using superhero characters. This is not The Matrix.

Wrong. What put the super in superhero is the ability, not the look. And some, if not all, of these comics outfits worn by superheroes are absolutely ridiculous.

Incorrect. Costumes are part of the character--the aura and sale of the superhero as being as visually distinct from the average person on the street as the ability.Decades of publishing (and most adaptations) recognize that ability alone is not "superheroic" enough. Why is the latest screen Spider-man not wearing coveralls or gym tights? If the character's heroic nature was limited to ability alone, it would not matter (even from a creative standpoint) what he wears.

tRX8pq4.jpg

Oops.

• The Internet seems to believe that this film is in some way influenced by classic 70s political/spy thriller films. I think that’s a mirage generated by the presence of Robert Redford and the Washington, D.C. setting more than anything in the film’s actual plot, tone, or craft. However, I am open to argument on this issue (for one, maybe, the opening scene seems somewhat inspired by the then-revolutionary steadicam jogging opening sequences from Marathon Man) and look forward to someone somewhere somehow stating the case in depth.

• What the movie does remind me of is nothing so much as a good Christopher Priest comic. Humorous; distrustful of the powerful & entrenched forces at the top of our society; about race without being heavyhanded or preachy; a tongue-in-cheek attitude towards the cheesier aspects of superheroic antics balanced by an appreciation for what’s so exciting about the superhero story in the first place. Scenes like Fury and Cap’s conversation about the way Fury’s granddad’s neighbourhood has changed over time stand out as very Christopher Priest-y to me, so too some of the various details and playful moments scattered throughout Robert Redford’s dialogue. I’d be interested to hear what he thinks about it (if past evidence is proof for future results he’ll probably dislike it) but, unfortunately, his blog has been silent since early December so that may not be happening any time soon.

• Extremely well done action sequences. Hard to say why, every hit had oomph, every time a fist or a shield tore through a metallic surface had the right feeling to it so the moment was really sold to the audience.

• Genuine joy at the D.C. Pierson bit part and the Danny Pudi cameo.

• jeepers creepers Scarlett Johansson’s voice should be distilled into a fine chemical concoction and cropdusted across every inch of land on this planet so as to warm the frigid, give rise to the impotent, and fructify the wombs of the barren

• the death toll should have bothered me a little, I mean, I was even bothered when Cap threw that guy off the heli-carrier in Avengers I mean how did he know what was up with that guy maybe he was mind-controlled by Loki maybe he doesn’t have a parachute maybe he has a wife and a kid waiting for him to arrive with the paycheck to pay the heating bills for their cold cold home … but I guess I’m over it by now.

• That being said the bad guys plan to kill a few million people so as to secure world peace seemed like an okay deal to me I mean, come on Cap they’ve been working on this thing for years and they have a supercomputer program (which is Ultron, right, this is set-up for Ultron?) that can predict the future and how is it any different than WWII morally speaking it feels solid then again probably not a good idea to trust a Nazi science cult with world domination

• Bucky killed JFK, right? It wasn’t just me that got that impression from the quickly edited expo-dump where we see his classified file?

• Who’s in charge of writing the Stan Lee cameos? Is it Mr. Irony? Because he was all like OH NO SOMEONE HAS STOLEN FROM ME A THING THAT I THOUGHT OF AS MINE BUT I WAS ACTUALLY JUST A CARETAKER OF THE THING AND MERELY HAD A ROLE IN ITS PRESENTATION TO THE PUBLIC and that, combined with his lines from the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. cameo (where he explicitly tells someone else they have a chance to repair past mistakes now) makes me think someone is having a little fun (or smuggling in a secret message of moral rebuke) at his expense

• Speaking of smuggling in secret messages they thank the U.S. Department of Defense in the credits jeez what’s that about

• On the very important Neal McDonough issue my thoughts at seeing him in a commercial for the sounds-fake-but-actually-existed series Medical Investigation made me assume he’d be perfect for the role of Captain America (especially the semi-***hole that he is in the Ultimate comics line) but, just for geek cred, I’m gonna pretend I knew him all the way from his breakout role as Dockworker #2 in Sam Raimi’s Darkman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.