Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thor: The Dark World

Thor Marvel Comics The Avengers superheroes Thor 2

64 replies to this topic

Rogue 3

Rogue 3

Who is Number 1?

• 2,675 posts
Just got back from seeing it at te IMAX in Waterloo. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Eccleston was a decent bad guy. But the scenes with Loki (some of which you would have seen in the trailers) were great fun! The banter between all the characters is brilliant!
Plus a mid credits and post credits end sequence as we have come to expect. One featuring Benicio del Torro...

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,403 posts

Loved it. Light years ahead of Iron Man 3.

• Rock +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,836 posts
Really enjoyed this. Loki was great. Good mix of action and comedy.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Yeah it was pretty badass. Thinking I'll see this one again in theaters like I did the first one.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts

Loved it. Light years ahead of Iron Man 3.

absofnkinglutely.  i saw it today on the ixam 3d today and it was so awesome

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,400 posts

Did anyone see the news that the Lady Sif character had to be re-written because she injured herself on the set and had to go to the hospital for like a week? I think if the plot seems off it maybe because of those re-writes to accomodate someone who was not able to be there to film some scenes.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,836 posts

Is that where the hinted love triangle went? Thank GOD! I was really happy when that didn't go anywhere.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,400 posts

Yup!

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,736 posts

I don't get why they even left in the two whole scenes that began to lead up to it.  They would've been easy to delete, and a lovestruck Sif just seems really weird to me.

• Ryn +1 this

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts

I actually didn't mind those scenes at all. Sif wasn't portrayed as the typical "jealous bitch" type, and later on she helped Thor break Jane out of the palace, so obviously her feelings (whatever they are) weren't affecting her actions. It was nice to see a woman with feelings who could still kick ass.

Mostly because I don't buy into the Thor/Jane relationship at all

That said, I really liked the movie and laughed a lot. Favorite part was Thor hanging Mjolnir on the coat rack. 

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts

I fully appreciate the fact that Marvel has a formula that they know works and they stick to it. :thumbsup:

• Ryn and Darth Krawlie +1 this

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Just saw it a 2nd time. This time, caught the in-your-face shot of Adam Warlock's cocoon on The Collector's ship. I wonder if it's just an easter eggn or if it's a hint at Warlock's future involvement..?
  • Ryn +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts

Haha! I was wondering about that kind of thing when I saw the scene. Has anyone tried figuring out if there are (in)significant references in his collection?

Duke

Duke

Lord of the Binge

• Members
  • 4,611 posts

Adam Warlock? NOW I´m interested! With Thanos and Gamora around it was about time. Just wonder if they can fit Pip the Troll somewhere...

• Ryn +1 this

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts

Really liked this one. Saw it in 3D and for a pleasant change wasn't even too bothered by that.

- Everything looked great! They totally upped the crazy Kirby weirdness of Asgard this time around. I don't actually know what a civilization crafted by a super-advanced species of alien space vikings would look like but this sure felt like a good try at showing it. Lightswords, lightspears, lightshields! Prison cell walls made of tessellated forcefields! Golden aerial artillery defense systems! Longboat hoverships with mounted machinegun lasers! Hologrammed medical interfaces manipulated by a veteran B-level sci-fi actress! Illuminated manuscripts! Crazy funerals! They even gave Odin a raven this time around. The bad guys too : necromonger fashion sense, blackhole grenades, hibernation/healing cauls, refurbished B-wings, those masks!

- Kat Farrell’s Darcy joins Tech Sergeant Chen (Tony Shalhoub) in Galaxy Quest for her place in the pantheon of People Who Can Be Assumed To Be High More Or Less Throughout The Entire Movie

- Super disappointed we didn't get to see the classic helmet for Thor or on anyone else this time. Although, the side wings on the flying longships were sort of reminiscent of that.

- Self-sabotage and self-defeat are both the chief strategy and source of failure for the bad guys in this movie. Malekith sacrifices his own people by dropping his ships on them, his own ship crushes him to death on the very field of battle where he killed them. Their magic firestonethingies (which are even hidden on his person through deliberate injury) make them invulnerable to Asgardian weapons and, therefore, Mr. Eko is slain by a svartelf sword of his own people (stabbed in the back, no less, just as he did to Loki’s mom). And if you pay attention to Odin’s plot-explanation scene : Malekith made the Aether in the first place out of the ancient pre-universe relic so he’s the cause of his problems from the very beginning too. I’d use the word hamartia here (which I always understood to mean the inevitable fatal flaw (or decision resulting from that flaw) of a character leading to their downfall that is also, paradoxically, an intrinsic part of what makes them great) but a quick look at Wikipedia shows that the meaning of the word is too blurry for it to be much good.

- In the scene where Odin gets to the throne room after the bad guys have attacked : How does Odin automatically know Malekith is going for Rene Russo? He just walks into the throne room and kills that one guy with his cool staff and then just immediately knows what’s up. How? Does he even know she’s with Jane?

- Yo Thor asking your platonic gal pal who's super into you to pick up your girlfriend is a major mistake dude no good can come from that. And going up against what will be, for all you know,  the entire svartelf army with just you and Loki and a little magic trick you both cooked up doesn’t seem so smart.

- Really liked Zachary Levi's delivery on the obligatory “For Asgard.”

- Okay, so once Malekith has the Aether he just walks away. Makes sense. He’s out to destroy everything there is. But he leaves just his stooge and a couple of guys to kill off the good guys once and for all. If he cares enough to do that, why not leave more? And if the stooge is enough to finish the job (and he should be, after all Malekith sent him in to defeat more or less the entirety of Asgard’s palace guard all by his lonesome) why also leave those couple of guys to fight Loki in the first place? I kinda feel it should have been just Mr. Eko to stop Thor from throwing Mjolnir at the ship on its way out. I guess Tom Hiddleston wanted a cool fight scene or whatever.

- And then Jane says she knows Malekith will go to Earth and even says she saw him there earlier. When did that happen? Was it when she was communing with the Aether? Is there a scene missing from the beginning of the film when she's wandering around the tenement?

- The end credits tease for Guardians of the Galaxy was dumb. They should have just divided the final two post-credits scenes between the beginning and end of the credits with the "awww everything worked out for the best" one at the top and leave what seems to me to be a super expensive joke for the end.

- Rene Russo story. You know the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair from 1999? The director wanted her to go naked for the sex scene but Rene is religious and felt conflicted so she prayed on it and, surprise surprise, GOD SAID YES.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thor, Marvel Comics, The Avengers, superheroes, Thor 2