Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PlayStation 3 "Super Slim" 4000 model: Noise

Sony PlayStation PS3 Games

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Just bought one, 500 GB AC3 bundle.

It's LOUD. Right out of the box and turned on it is loud. No disc in and still loud. The fan comes on and it is a loud CONSTANT whirring "vrooer" sound. Much more noticeable than my 120 GB "Original Slim" I have in my living room.

It basically sounds like some one is vacuuming in a room removed from where the Super Slim is. Like a dulled due to location vacuum noise, except of course it's right in the room.

My Super Slim is not in a closed space or a shelving system with tops and sides . My Super Slim is laying flat per design and resting on the top of an uncrowded wooden dresser.

Really surprised at how loud this fan is. Not looking forward to experiencing that noise compounded by disc spinning.

Of course I'm in Alaska, so yeah, it's not like I'm in a hot environment. Cold outside and 69 F inside. So I don't believe environment is causing it to heat up.

Gamevet

Gamevet

• 4,431 posts
Do they have any units on demo in the stores, or are they using older PS3s still?

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I have only seen the older models on demo. Not even GameStop has these brand new ones on demo.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,718 posts
Well you have a top loader covered by thin plastic.

Don't you already have a PS3?

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Yeah.

However I was going to buy another dualshock3 controller because one of mine broke and I wanted a Roku for my bedroom and I needed to replace a Blu-ray that died for my room too. And then my son aced his report card and got 60 bucks from his Grandpa for AC3. Then I realized I had about 15 old PS3 games just literally collecting dust on my shelf. So I took them to Gamestop to see what I could get in trade towards the 500GB AC3 PS3 bundle; they said it was 100 bucks. So I did the math.

$60 Controller
$60 AC3
$70 Blu-ray
$100 Roku
$100 Trade-In on Dust Collectors

That's $390. So considering I was going to buy those other things this month I realized I just need to cover $10 bucks to get everything I wanted in one bundle instead.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony, PlayStation, PS3, Games