Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Iron Man 3

192 replies to this topic

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Say what we can about Tom Crazies, I've only disliked like two of his films. He's pretty much cash in bank for enjoying a film. I would have believed him as Tony Stark. I mean really Tony's core personality traits are in many of Tom's roles, Maverick and The Last Samurai just to whip out two pieces of that pie.

Assuming you posted that knowing he coveted the role in the 90s. And of other projects that never birthed in the 90s there was Dicaprio as Spider-Man... the Marvel filmverse would look so different with those guys headlining.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
The guy is bat****, but even in his worst films he commits 100%
  • Ryn +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,824 posts

I'd buy Cruise as Tony. He's just smarmy enough. 

And yeah, until MI2, he didn't really make any bad movies. Maybe not all good ones, but no real BAD ones.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
I just today caught a bit of War of the Worlds on TV. Terrible movie-- but he's great in it as the screw up father.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts

The guy is bat****, but even in his worst films he commits 100%

This is the seminal Tom Cruise point. No one wants us to enjoy a Tom Cruise movie more than Tom Cruise. I can respect the hell out of that.

• Ryn +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I agree 100% love to work with him for that reason.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Anyone watch the Marvel One-Shot "All Hail the King" on the Thor: The Dark World disc? Definitely should satisfy fans of the Mandarin who felt burned by his portrayal in Iron Man 3.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
I was definitely satisfied.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Haven't seen it yet. Might not be able to if it isn't on the Netflix disc; not wasting a week to get a special features disc and I don't buy movies [for myself] anymore. Maybe I will peruse theGoogles.

Filthy Jawa

Filthy Jawa

Bring back Mandard!

• 8,664 posts

Didn't like what they did with "the Mandarin." The character deserved better.

Ben Kingsley recently did an interview where he wondered if there might be more to The Mandarin:

http://ca.ign.com/ar...darin-after-all

TLDR:

"Has the Mandarin invented Trevor, or has Trevor invented the Mandarin? Which is which?" Kingsley asks. "The Mandarin could be so supremely intelligent that he could have said, 'You know what? I'll invent this actor, and he will be my mask.' You know, which is which? Who's pulling the strings. Now, this is me just free-thinking here, but I would love to revisit that world. But Trev, bless him, may have made an indelible mark on that world. So everyone might say, 'Is it Trev under there?' So they'd have to approach it quite carefully, and so would I, but I would love to go back to that world, yeah."

I have to admit when the reveal came in the movie I hoped Kingsley's version would be the twist-on-the-twist, but it wasn't to be. Nice of Sir Ben to throw a bone to the fans, but I'm sure that's all this is.
  • Ryn +1 this

Filthy Jawa

Filthy Jawa

Bring back Mandard!

• 8,664 posts

The fall of the Soviet Union ruined the chances for the Iron Man movie I really wanted.

What a difference 18 months can make. With Putin's new Russia, The Crymson Dynamo seems like a possibility again!!

How about to launch a new series of MCU movies? Tony Stark is too high-profile and linked to the U.S. government so if Putin is going to wage a secret war in the Ukraine, someone needs a secret response...enter War Machine!

I dunno, I'm not a Hollywood writer.
  • Ryn +1 this

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

They could adapt the Armor Wars pretty easily to an Iron Man movie. Tony finds out the Spymaster hacked into his computer and stole Iron Man technology and he goes on a hunt for anyone using it which puts him at odds with Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man-- but since they are official Soviet Union superheroes and Iron Man ias an Avenger it cauees major political issues when Tony goes to siberia on his own to kick ass.

• Ryn +1 this

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

I'm still dreaming of a version of the Mandarin where the ten rings are some sort of Asgardian relics, and we get the badass Mandarin we want.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

They could EASILY have the legit Mandarin in possession of an Infinity Gem

• Ryn +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts

I have to admit when the reveal came in the movie I hoped Kingsley's version would be the twist-on-the-twist, but it wasn't to be. Nice of Sir Ben to throw a bone to the fans, but I'm sure that's all this is.

After all this, he could be the MCU's Keyser Sose. "That doofus was really the Mandarin? The whole time?" They could pick up right after the scene where the Ten Rings agent removes Slattery from the prison, and then Slattery easily and casually kills him in the car.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts

They could EASILY have the legit Mandarin in possession of an Infinity Gem

Indeed! The Tesseract is shown to power all sorts of devices. The Mandarin can have a single one powering his rings. The rings are the tech that channel its power.

Filthy Jawa

Filthy Jawa

Bring back Mandard!

• 8,664 posts
Not a bad idea, except from a story point of view we've already dealt with the Tesseract a fair amount. There are still two or three stones out there we need to see (depending on what you think of the stone in Loki's staff).

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Sorry. I didn't mean exactly the Tesseract being used as a power source for the Mandarin's rings but one of the other stones.

Reply to this topic