Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Iron Man 3

192 replies to this topic

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,789 posts
Rocky IV?
  • Darth Lohr and Ixion +1 this

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
"I MUST BREAK YOU." Posted Image
  • Driver +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man.

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts
Regarding Kingsley as the Mandarin, I read somewhere that they're going for a sort of Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now angle, an American or British expatriate that loses his mind out in the field and appropriates elements of Chinese culture to serve his own twisted vision. At first I was puzzled at the casting, but this sounds like a really cool take on the character.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Youse guys : it's still a character called The Mandarin who is a secretive master of occult (or, it seems in the movie, terrorist) forces from the East. That is like having a character called The Jew who is a manipulative schemer controlling the world's banks and trying to explain it away by being all like "well, he is not actually Jewish so it is kind of okay" or "he is only half-Jewish in the books so this casting of a half-Jewish guy is perfect". Real people are going to see this movie not just sweaty nerds who don't care about racism and I say this as someone who thought Fraction did great things with the Mandarin in his series and especially in that annual he did which brutally exposed the futility of work-of-hire practices under the guise of telling the story of a director who was kidnapped to work for the Mandarin and tell his life story it was so good you guys but a mere 40,900 people read that book and millions are going to see this movie I don't know how they are doing this.

Guest_J.R.R. Tokin'_*

Guest_J.R.R. Tokin'_*
  • Guests
So we all cool with Depp playing Tonto then?

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Depp is part Native so it's cool. He's taking the k-word back.

(kemosabe)

Guest_J.R.R. Tokin'_*

Guest_J.R.R. Tokin'_*
  • Guests
No, Depp has as much native ancestry as any other white American - nearer to zilch than "it's my culture." A distant great grandfather or grandmother being a native American doesn't make you of that ethnicity. Could he apply for a government grant to get money for school based on tribal membership? Could he even register for a tribal enrollment in the first place? Did he ever mention this very important part of his ancestry previous to filming a movie as a painted up native?

Please. Same thing.
  • Ryn +1 this

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Not really. Tonto is a hero. Sort of. A sidekick? Yeah. How many positive portrayals of Native Americans on screen are there? The fact that they grabbed a whitey to play Tonto is an insult to any working Native American actor but having a Tonto on screen is not in and of itself as ridiculous as having The Mandarin on screen.

Guest_J.R.R. Tokin'_*

Guest_J.R.R. Tokin'_*
  • Guests
I didn't say having either of them on screen was ridiculous. I said the fact that they grabbed a whitey to play Tonto is an insult to any working Native American actor. How many positive portrayals of Native Americans on screen are there?

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
So... we... agree? I'm pretty sure we agree.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
I wasn't trying to make a statement, just that this:

"In a 2002 interview, Depp stated that he has Native American ancestry;[9] in 2011, he specified, "I guess I have some Native American [in me] somewhere down the line. My great-grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek."

plus this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brave

equals the fact that it's not a total whitewash as it were.

Moot point though since it looks like a stupid movie.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Posted Image
  • Ryn and R.CAllen +1 this

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
I keep expecting that to be a gif and it's freaking me out that it's not moving.

OR IS IT?!

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,941 posts
I don't see how it's an insult to hire a white actor to play Tonto. It's not a racial decision, its a financial one. Should actors only be able to play parts of their specific race? And how narrow do we want to get with this definition? I mean it seems to be casting a fairly wide net to say only a Native American can play a Native American? There are many different types of Native Americans? Can a Sioux play an Algonquin? Can an Eskimo play a Cherokee? And if you say yes, isnt that like I said just casting a wide net? Isn't that saying "they are all the same". Can a Korean play a Japanese man? Can an Arab play a Persian?

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Posted Image

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,736 posts
Now I want an Iron Man film in which Iron Man fights a villain called the Jew, played by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson because box office. I'm imagining the awesomeness in my head right now.
  • Driver +1 this

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Posted Image

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,941 posts
Was it ok for Al Pacino to play Scarface? An Italian playing a Cuban? How about James Caan playing Sonny Corleone? A German-Jew playing an Italian?

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Posted Image
  • R.CAllen +1 this

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
I think Driver should post like this. ALL. THE. TIME.
  • Driver +1 this

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts

I don't see how it's an insult to hire a white actor to play Tonto. It's not a racial decision, its a financial one.

IT CAN BE BOTH!

Should actors only be able to play parts of their specific race?

Kind of yeah? Especially when it's a group that's been marginalized? Shouldn't filmmakers strive for some sort of accuracy?

And how narrow do we want to get with this definition?

Just narrow enough to avoid Native Americans being played by white people. That is narrow enough for me.

I mean it seems to be casting a fairly wide net to say only a Native American can play a Native American? There are many different types of Native Americans? Can a Sioux play an Algonquin? Can an Eskimo play a Cherokee? And if you say yes, isnt that like I said just casting a wide net? Isn't that saying "they are all the same".

If I were Driver here is where I'd put a picture of Mel Brooks as the Indian chief in Blazing Saddles

Can a Korean play a Japanese man?

If I were Driver here is wher I'd put a picture of Harold from Harold and Kumar as Sulu.

Can an Arab play a Persian?

I'm torn between a picture of Deanna Troi in Crash or maybe Jake Gyllenhaal from Prince of Persia?

Was it ok for Al Pacino to play Scarface? An Italian playing a Cuban? How about James Caan playing Sonny Corleone? A German-Jew playing an Italian?

I am totally okay with those. That's just white people playing white people. I agree that parsing the differences between races and restricting each actor of each race to portraying only people entirely like themselves is ridiculous. But if you're going to have an actor that's a certain race and that's the only guy of that race to be in your film in a substantive way maybe going for the guy who is not that race to play him isn't the best decision. And, yeah, Driver has pointed out that Depp is 1/whatevereth Cherokee and made a film starring and about Native American people so maybe it is okay but then again maybe not? I AM OPEN TO ARGUMENT ON THIS ISSUE.
  • Driver +1 this

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Posted Image
  • R.CAllen +1 this

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,941 posts
I think if this were some kind of historical epic that I'd probably agree that putting Depp as a Native American would be a poor decision. But this movie ain't going for accuracy, its The Lone Ranger. It's an action comedy, probably heavy on comedy. I don't think they need to be accurate in any way.

I think the real issue is how the character is portrayed in the movie and based on some looking I've done on the internet it seems most of the pieces I've read have that opinion. They don't really care if Depp is playing the character, they care if the character is portrayed as some wild savage comic relief. Which seems to be the case.

Edited by The Choc, 12 March 2013 - 09:13 PM.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Posted Image

Reply to this topic