Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nightly Improvement Project

323 replies to this topic

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,808 posts
Or maybe you'll turn some people on to it.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,826 posts
I think books, movies, tv and comics all need to be in the same forum. You can label threads any way you want when you make them, but topics are easiest to find if they're all together. And I think mods should be open to spoilers. It's one of the cons of being a mod or admin, and I think we can just deal with it.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
last thought on that^^^ - i think there would be a lot less need for spoiler boxes if they were seperate. though i see i am in the minority.

about southland, i might consider it when season 5 comes out, though the general response has cop show? great, like we need another one. despite all my encouragement. that's very discouraging.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
I love cop shows!

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts
I LOVE COPS
  • Copper +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,826 posts

last thought on that^^^ - i think there would be a lot less need for spoiler boxes if they were seperate. though i see i am in the minority.

about southland, i might consider it when season 5 comes out, though the general response has cop show? great, like we need another one. despite all my encouragement. that's very discouraging.

They are separate now, but not getting traffic.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
you guys - southland is the best, most realistic cop show ever made.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
K I did a recap for The Voice.

now everyone else needs to start doing stuff instead of talking about doing stuff.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
season 5 of southland doesn't come out until february 2013. if i get my hands on the existing seasons, i could recap when i run through them, but i don't see the point if nobody can watch. when i had comcast they added southland's first two seasons a handful of episodes at a time in order right up until season 3 aired - that's how i came across it, watching it by accident thinking it was another show and got hooked from the first episode. so you comcast people keep an eye out. has anybody watched this show?

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,476 posts

Not really, IMHO.

One, not everyone has read all the books / seen all the episodes. I'm avoiding the current Song of Ice and Fire thread until I'm through A Dance With Dragons.

Two, a lot of the popular tv shows nowadays are based on books or comics.

Three, a lot of popular movies are based on books or comics.

Like I said earlier, if we had a forum setup that was conducive to multi-media discussion of the same story, we would actually need fewer spoiler boxes. We'd have fewer "oops" spoiler moments, too, because there would be a clear place for comparison discussion.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts

now everyone else needs to start doing stuff instead of talking about doing stuff.

i started one for american horror story asylum.
  • Copper +1 this

Svenn

Svenn

• Members
  • 720 posts
I'm throwing my perspective in, as somebody who has been coming here forever, but mostly lurks.

First off (and this isn't really helpful, but I think it's worth noting), this place has a pretty amazing base of loyal followers. I have been visiting this site off and on since 1999, and that has always been my reason for returning. I feel like I "know" the long-term users, and I enjoy seeing their take on things. I don't think I'm alone. I think there are other long-time visitors who come back from time to time, and in some cases it's interesting to see what re-engages them. JamesMadison rarely posts, for example, but always seems to pop up when there's a compelling legal issue. I think Cuckoo had been away for a long time, but randomly reappeared in response to a bunch of Rev's religious threads. I'm sure there are other examples. That's really just an aside, except that I think that it sets this place apart from others, and I think it is a good indication of its potential.

I mostly come here to check out the Lyceum, because I feel like the discussion there is (generally) more intelligent than what I would find in other forums or comments to news articles, and, again, I'm interested to see how the 'nightly gang' is reacting to major news/political events. I also visit the TV forum if there are any TV shows that I am interested in. In those cases, I always come here after watching an episode to see what peoples' reaction is. I did this with Lost (although I was late to the game, and was reading really old threads after watching really old episodes), Terminator, V, The Event, now Revolution... So the suggestion for TV recaps is good, it will hopefully generate more discussion or speculation about what is happening in the shows.

I want the Lyceum to stay, of course, but I would never want it (or anything like it) to be the main driving force behind interest in this forum. Nightly would totally lose its character, if that were to happen.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Since I started the Walking Dead thread I will use it as a place to do episode recaps. Either tonight or tomorrow I will start with the previously aired ones and go from there. I'd also love to do Breaking Bad, when it returns.

Tonight I'm working on a Bohdi sauceesque project since I pulled up the last of my garden. Have to see how it all turns out though after I make a supply run and get my canning done.

I will try and think up some good musical discussion for the coming weeks, maybe pull out some deep cuts and have us all revisit them together. I like that we are looking for fresh ideas around here. We are a creative group of people, this should only need a little elbow grease and everyone putting their shoulder to the wheel.

Super Dragon

Super Dragon

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
Can the Arena be a subforum of Sports? I know that traffic is slow for it right now, but wrestling discussion goes up or down depending on the time of year. Come January I'd expect a pick up. If you put it in with the moving pictures forum, I think it's likely that it gets cluttered with different wrestling threads.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
hey admins, how about some feedback in this area?

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,808 posts
So far we haven't really had an opportunity to discuss in depth, partially because I was out of commission for all of yesterday. However, you can definitely tell that I'm in favor of the changes and everyone is excited about the enthusiasm and initiative users are showing. I think that it's especially exciting that this is a case of change being brought on by the users instead of being forced by the administration.

But we are continuing to discuss, and we won't be making any changes until you hear something first.

As for the Arena, that's something we definitely would like some more Feedback on. I'm not a big fan of subforums in general, unless it's something that is distinctly a subset (hence my idea of making Fantasy Sports a subforum).

So really, I think the question is: does the Arena serve enough of a purpose to keep it separate?

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,476 posts
Brando, since when have you been an admin, anyway?
  • Copper +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,808 posts
Since a couple days ago.

I'm mainly here for tech support to help Cerina since Jaycie isn't able to be around much.
  • Iceheart, Cerina and Copper +1 this

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
yeah I was just like WHOA --I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused!

Super Dragon

Super Dragon

• Members
  • 4,152 posts

So far we haven't really had an opportunity to discuss in depth, partially because I was out of commission for all of yesterday. However, you can definitely tell that I'm in favor of the changes and everyone is excited about the enthusiasm and initiative users are showing. I think that it's especially exciting that this is a case of change being brought on by the users instead of being forced by the administration.

But we are continuing to discuss, and we won't be making any changes until you hear something first.

As for the Arena, that's something we definitely would like some more Feedback on. I'm not a big fan of subforums in general, unless it's something that is distinctly a subset (hence my idea of making Fantasy Sports a subforum).

So really, I think the question is: does the Arena serve enough of a purpose to keep it separate?

I believe that with creative minds working together, the Arena can serve enough purpose to keep it seperate. I also think that it would make sense to have it as a subforum, because it's labeled as "Sports Entertainment" We could even add MMA to the purpose of the board.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,826 posts
He gave me a better rolling eyes smiley. I'm easy to please.

I'm down for just about everything that's been discussed. Some of it I've half-thought about just doing anyway, if I could figure it out. I'd like to get the other Admins' thoughts on this, but I don't think we're going to. So I vote Brando and I outline a plan. We show it to you guys for tweaks, comments, approval, whatever and then we just do it.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,635 posts
I think Super Dragon's suggestion of Sports Entertainment is the best option for a subforum. I would just hate to see us lose the Arena, becuase I think it's one of those niches that we do right, and I don't think it would do well if we just threw it into the Sports forum.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,808 posts
It has begun.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
i'm getting my own forum, right? the one i had in the subverse was pretty good.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,476 posts
I was like "wait, American Horror Story isn't a movie..."

Reply to this topic