Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nightly Improvement Project

323 replies to this topic

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts
JACOB:

Is pro wrestling less popular in general, or is it just being discussed less at this site?

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
well, the rock just came back this year, so either he's cashing in or saving it. my guess is cashing in.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,924 posts
I would say definitely cashing in. I know several people that watch, and I am told that there are several successful sites dedicated to the art of man on man rubbing.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,487 posts

ICY! Do you have free time to writer recaps of Arrow?

I have tons of free time. But I'm awful at writing recaps. I don't know the style - what to include, what to leave out, how to summarize... it would read like an incoherent ramble that's possibly drug fueled. I'm better at multi-person discussion. Which I happen to love doing. The Vampire Diaries thread is the highlight of my week.

I like the crafty/Pinteresty board idea. But I have a feeling that Icy and I would be the only ones contributing. :(

We can make this work.

Dr. Who

*cough* SuperWholock *cough*

Also popular on the geek boards:

The Hobbit (and HobbitLock)
Harry Potter
"Hey Girl" with geek heartthrobs
quotes and pictures about books and reading.
Game of Thrones (especially Tyrion and Daenerys love and Joffrey/Cersei hate)
Avengers (especially Loki fangirling)
Superheroes in general. In addition to the Avengers, Batman, Spiderman, and Wonder Woman are big. Fan crossovers especially big.
Applying Mean Girls quotes to every tv show and movie through memes
Did I mention fan crossovers?
The Princess Bride
Portal
Anime in general and the films of Hayao Miyazaki specifically (My Neighbor Totoro especially)
The Avatar franchise, both The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra
Ermahgerd memes
Kittens
Everything on 9Gag

On the food boards:

cupcakes
bacon
bacon on cupcakes
smoothies
crockpot recipes for everything
Sriracha
cocktails

And I hate to break it to you guys, but...

On the beauty and fashion boards:

nail design tutorials
hair updo tutorials
make your own cosmetics tutorials
tips on how to get and maintain healthy skin and hair
tips on makeup application
clothing refashion
leggings as pants (can we NOT promote this?)

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,463 posts

JACOB:

Is pro wrestling less popular in general, or is it just being discussed less at this site?

It's still raking in the money same as ever, but ratings are dropping to 15 year lows and a lot of Nightly's wrestling fans have become disenfranchised with the product. Personally, I enjoy it just as much as before (more or less), but have lost interest in interacting with wrestling fans on the internet in general, not just on Nightly.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,846 posts
I still like the idea of the food forum as well.

My opinion has always been that just because it doesn't get traffic, doesn't mean there isn't a need. Take Lando as a perfect example. (Also, the loss of Angels has resulted in a small loss of thread traffic.)

I friggin LOVE the Mean Girl memes.
  • Iceheart +1 this

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,487 posts
I told Mr. Fat "you go Glen Coco" the other day. They're getting to me.
  • Cerina +1 this

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Avengers has been mentioned, and I think it's a great thing to focus on.

Remember how this board got started? Star Wars. News threads everyday. New members constantly, wanting to join up and discuss the next big movie.

Avengers forum. New threads when news breaks. News threads when new photos pop up online. Avengers. Iron Man. Thor. All of it. Lets just go crazy with the Anvengers, creating news threads therein with "jump out at you" thread titles that are sure to pop up on Google searches and draw viewers.

I say we even (possibly) go back to the whole concept of each forum having its own banner and color schemes. I say possibly because I don't know if it's possible with the current software or not. But how cool would it be to have an Avengers forum with some nifty color scheme? Possibly an Iron Man sub-forum with its own banner, and a red background/yellow or gold font?

I'm actually kind of excited about this idea.
  • Super Dragon +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,924 posts
With the demo version of IPBoard it's possible to have those individual colors at least. Of course it may not be possible on Nightly, and it would be a lot of work.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
That's unfortunate, but we could take it slow and tweak it until it's perfect. Just so long as when the board goes down, we don't lose the color schemes like we used to.

The old Lando System color scheme on an Iron Man forum would be awesome.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,501 posts

Interesting thought. Care to share a bit more on it?

I know it's been thrown around before, that condensing is a better way, but so far I think that every time we've combined forums it's had a negative effect on membership. That doesn't mean it's wrong, but I'm also not sure that it's RIGHT.

there's simply not enough traffic to maintain however many forums we've got
I know I dont click most of them, pretty sure others are the same. So i'm likely missing out on stuff.
if everythings in the one forum, then oters are more likely to join in

people say the message board is dead, it's not

http://forum.followfollow.com/

is the forum for my football team. literally hundreds, on at any one time

they have 3 main forums

one for football
one for techie
one for everything else

there are a few sub forums for the likes of gambling and tickets, but all the general chat goes in one of the 3 above
and it works

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
DOWN WITH MEGA THREADS! you all were pissed at my multiple batman threads, but all i did was take individual ideas, thoughts, and questions OUT of the 7979458934953 page UNSEARCHABLE thread - you know, like the old days. some of them were fun, some of them were actually serious. i was really pissed off when my mr. freeze thread was absorbed THAT included new pics i created. maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all, was it?

color schemes are possible, they just take time and knowledge.
  • Destiny Skywalker +1 this

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
I'd be willing to do show recaps for a few shows I watch regularly:

The Voice
Survivor
Castle
Person of Interest
  • Cerina +1 this

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,647 posts

DOWN WITH MEGA THREADS! you all were pissed at my multiple batman threads, but all i did was take individual ideas, thoughts, and questions OUT of the 7979458934953 page UNSEARCHABLE thread - you know, like the old days. some of them were fun, some of them were actually serious. i was really pissed off when my mr. freeze thread was absorbed THAT included new pics i created. maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all, was it?

I friggin hate how any one subject only gets one thread now. Our search function sucks and gigantic threads are unwieldy. Plus we have this magical thing called tagging now.

Well then I'm not pinteresting my outfit today. :(

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,924 posts
To summarize our current ideas:

Seems like everyone's down with some type of condensing, main ideas seem to be some combining of the major headings into individual boards, with the exception of the community boards (Lando/Lyceum should be separate).

New color schemes

Maybe some new boards focusing on geeky content? Superheroes/Avengers?

COMMUNITY
Recaps by Copper
The Voice
Survivor
Castle
Person of Interest

Working more hand in hand with the user-base to create content, especially. Having mods work more as leaders than as babysitters, similar to what I know Pong has done in the past. Basically taking the front page idea and integrating it with the forums.

color schemes are possible, they just take time and knowledge.

I actually agree. I think we should have taken your advice back then and made a Batman forum, or at least a more general Superhero forum. I also hate megathreads.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,924 posts
Another possible breakdown, more than 5 forums but less than we have now:

Entertainment
Moving Pictures – TV/Movies/Animation/Wrestling
Written Word – Books/Comics
Music
The Save Point
Star Wars Universe
Superheroes
(Temp board for popular series/movie)

Sports
Sports
--Subforum Fantasy Sports

Community
Cantina
Lando
Lyceum

Communications
Feedback

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,487 posts

Well then I'm not pinteresting my outfit today. :(

I love how Reese and I are the same person now.

you have to keep movies/tv, books, and comics seperate due to spoiler issues.

I disagree, but it would take agreement from participants and active modding.

For example:

A Song of Ice and Fire JUST THE BOOKS

Game of Thrones JUST THE SHOW

A Song of Ice and Fire BOOKS AND TV SPOILER THREAD!

Which would create three threads in the same forum, instead of two threads in two forums, where spoilers never meet.

Besides, I book spoil The Vampire Diaries all the time. Under spoiler boxes. I'm more complimented for my ability to predict the show than anything.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
that's just my opinion, so i gave an example layout that would be ideal for keeping them seperate. sometimes mods don't want to be spoiled either, as i have recieved PMs asking me the favor to check on threads for them in the past.

what is a possible downside or negative effect of keeping those three mediums seperate?

I'd be willing to do show recaps for a few shows I watch regularly:

The Voice
Survivor
Castle
Person of Interest

now list the shows that don't suck :p

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,924 posts
I would suggest that if we condense we still keep mods. So even if, for example, Movies and TV get combined, Rock and ShadowDog both stay on as mods and remain leaders for the specific content.
  • Iceheart +1 this

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
they suck to YOU but they get plenty of rating so they have the benefit of mass appeal.

Also, there are other shows I love that I'd be willing to do recaps for when they start airing. (HBO's Game of Thrones, Girls, Newsroom and USA's Psych)

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,487 posts

what is a possible downside or negative effect of keeping those three mediums seperate?

One, having three active threads in one larger forum would make the board look busier. That may be more appealing to a new person who is seeing the board for the first time.

Two, it would be easier access if you do happen to follow two media of the same story.

Three, combo threads are hard to categorize right now. The Vampire Diaries is the only thread I can think of with some combo discussion, and the book discussion is done under spoiler tags. I'd love some threads where we can freely talk about both media, and it's really awkward to find a place for that right now.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
no ideal in my world of order and peace of mind, but i can see some of the benefits.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,924 posts

Also, there are other shows I love that I'd be willing to do recaps for when they start airing. ( Psych)

I would personally LOVE that. Would definitely give me an excuse to talk about each episode.
  • Copper +1 this

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
i would recap SOUTHLAND but everybody here has decided to miss out on one of the top 5 best shows on television right now. top 5 is an understatement, btw.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
I thought the point was to increase traffic with new blood. sooooo you SHOULD recap it and maybe someone will find this place via google.

Reply to this topic