Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nightly Improvement Project

323 replies to this topic

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Hahaha! I thought it was a great "wtf" post. I sat there and re-read it a couple times just to believe it.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Wait.

We're going to condense Movies and TV and Comics and everything but we're going to separate the community forums even more?

To each our own, but I'm off the bus on that one.

Tagging. Or why anything done?

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,826 posts
We needed something nice and happy to balance out Lando and the Lyceum. Plus, we just condensed several of the most popular non-media based forum ideas into one.

The whole aim of the Nightly Improvement Project is to take suggestions and try new things. If they don't work out after a few months, we'll change them again. Being stagnant is what was killing this board. We don't want that.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,798 posts
We're open to new ideas from the community, and that was an idea that got discussion early in this thread. We decided we'd try it on a probationary basis.

Worst case scenario is it fails and gets put back into the Cantina. Best case scenario, threads like bodega's sauce thread get the attention they deserve.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Action. Love it. Change. I can dig it. Work. Eh, but unsolicited I've tried to walk the talk by increased activity for the fun of it and to help sell examples.

With that said, I am dense so... but Isn't The Cantina between Lando and The Lyceum? And isn't an end goal of database awesomeness via tagging contrary to just booming a seemingly superfluous forum?

I'm trying really hard not to be a dick, so I really hope I'm not coming across like that. :) :heart:

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts

We're open to new ideas from the community, and that was an idea that got discussion early in this thread. We decided we'd try it on a probationary basis.

Probationary basis is my absolute favorite kind of basis.
  • NumberSix and The Human Torch +1 this

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts
Call me old fashioned but I prefer regular ole missionary.
  • ShadowDog +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,798 posts

Action. Love it. Change. I can dig it. Work. Eh, but unsolicited I've tried to walk the talk by increased activity for the fun of it and to help sell examples.

With that said, I am dense so... but Isn't The Cantina between Lando and The Lyceum? And isn't an end goal of database awesomeness via tagging contrary to just booming a seemingly superfluous forum?

I'm trying really hard not to be a dick, so I really hope I'm not coming across like that. :) :heart:

I wouldn't describe Cantina as between them, I think they're all different. My personal descriptions are: Catina is the mostly nice general discussion, Lando is mostly not nice teenage boy discussion, and Lyceum is political arguing. So the new board is a combination of all the other boards we've had in community: picture it as a mix of the Photo Album, the Food board, with a sprinkling of Angels.

And the point of tagging is having a database that's set for future merging/splitting and better searching. We're just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.
  • Iceheart +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,826 posts
Yeah, see here's what happened:

Lando and Angels both died last year, but instead of laying them both to rest, the admins decided to put Angels in the ground and hide Lando away. THEN, Landoites, being the vicious blood and soul-sucking creatures that they are, began to haunt the other forums for victims, but most of the Angels faded away into oblivion or floated up to Heaven while a few remained with us and struggled to find another home amongst the other forums. What we've discovered is that Landoites need to have a place to troll, and Angels need a place to make home. So we reinstated Lando, and we've revamped Angels to make it more in tune with the wants and desires of those left on the forums while still being inviting to the rest of the population.

And, honestly, we really are just throwing things at the wall. Somebody left me in charge with ideas but no technical know-how, so I brought on Brando to be my bitch sidekick and help along these changes. (And as it turned out, he's got brilliant ideas all on his own!! Score!) But we've promised each other, the mods and the general Nightly population that we will be willing to undo or redo any mistakes or changes we make if that's what is going to make the majority of Nightly happy. We're not proud or stubborn. Just trying to make this place fun.
  • Iceheart +1 this

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,476 posts

Call me old fashioned but I prefer regular ole missionary.

BO-RING.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
take it to lando, you hussie.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
I like the hobbies forum. I clicked in it and was like, "Oh! All INTERESTING stuff!" Also, we need a little coven of estrogen. I for one would like that to wallow in when times get tough.
  • Copper and creamtuff +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,798 posts
And there's absolutely no reason that other hobbies can't be discussed as well. If someone wants to post about his Barbie collection, that's the place where no one is going to judge Torch that person.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
:D

I don't have Barbies. Although I almost bought the Barbra Streisand Barbie... for my daughter... except the sculpt was ****.

I do have Porcelain Disney Princess Dolls. I mean my wife does.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
i think the lyceum belongs in the top entertainment forums, not the community forums. i've never understood why it was part of the community. although, it might make that group of forums overwhelming again if it were there.

creamtuff

creamtuff

Awesomesauce.

• Members
  • 2,070 posts
Can the following thread be moved to the Hobbies forum, please? http://nightly.net/t...es#entry2082514

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
So been reading thru the selection in Hobbies. Neat. However I do not get why marriage threads are in there? Doesn't that fit more in a general topic community thing? Being in there doesn't it just become Angels 2. Just trying to get an idea on the focus, maybe the forum name is too specific. I dunno.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,798 posts
It is pretty specific, we're trying to come up with a better name.

Basically because the wedding threads have been specifically about the planning, etc.
  • The Human Torch +1 this

creamtuff

creamtuff

Awesomesauce.

• Members
  • 2,070 posts
Wedding threads are like terminal hobbies. They aren't something you keep doing indefinitely, but they are certainly hotbeds of creative projects and interesting ideas. For example, for my wedding, not only were all the decorations DIY, but I also made my own veil, necklace and decorative clasp on the dress. My best friend made the dress. The photographs taken by the professional photographer are generally artistic and creative - all of this falls into the category or hobbies / crafts / creative interests.

Also, the current forum name is temporary. We are working on coming up with something less specific.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Hobbies Inc.

Inc. being incorporated of course. In this definition: a Community Forum which incorporates Hobbies as the talking point.

Obviously immensely similar to Hobbies, etc. However the etc implies a sorta Grab Bag, free for all, miscellaneous lack of focus.

In comparison;

The Lyceum: We think we're thinking about Importance!
The Cantina: Casually gather to discuss ourselves and our worlds.
The Lando System: That place we joke about, in, on top of and from behind.
Hobbies Inc.: What we create is what we are.

Justifies four boards, yes? No? Distinct personality attributes to each while not harpooning MALE, FEMALE or FREAK on any. Okay maybe Freak, yeah.

Or whatever you guys do. :) I trying.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,476 posts
I like Hobbies Inc. The "Inc." makes a lot of sense.

DeathLurtz

DeathLurtz

Good thing they stamped that fire out quickly.

• Members
  • 3,563 posts
i just got an idea I figured i'd throw out there for the hobbies forum name

DIYorama

eh?!

eh?!
  • Iceheart and Cerina +1 this

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
i think the restructuring has turned out very well. lol, i did the math and ironically we went from 14 regular forums to 12, not counting the condensing of the archives.

Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone

never forget

• Members
  • 11,577 posts
The Lyceum needs a scorekeeper. Someone who keeps track of every time a person was proved wrong. Have a running tally pinned at the top of the forum.

Someone please make this happen.

Reply to this topic