I side with...

Pong Messiah

I was talking to a hardcore Romney supporter a few days ago, and said -- truthfully -- that if I could trust him to be the softly pro-choice, pro-business nerd version of Romney that has popped up again a few times lately, that I'd prefer him to Obama.

As someone who is pretty pro-life, I realize that the GOP candidates mostly are just paying it lip-service because it gets them votes from the Jesus crowd. I know Roe vs Wade is never going to get overturned, no matter who is president. When I took the quiz, I even ranked it as pretty low in importance because i know this. The most you're going to get is someone like Bush denying federal funding for stem cell research. Outlawing abortion is pretty much a conservative Christian wet dream.

I was talking to a hardcore Romney supporter a few days ago, and said -- truthfully -- that if I could trust him to be the softly pro-choice, pro-business nerd version of Romney that has popped up again a few times lately, that I'd prefer him to Obama.

As someone who is pretty pro-life, I realize that the GOP candidates mostly are just paying it lip-service because it gets them votes from the Jesus crowd. I know Roe vs Wade is never going to get overturned, no matter who is president. When I took the quiz, I even ranked it as pretty low in importance because i know this. The most you're going to get is someone like Bush denying federal funding for stem cell research. Outlawing abortion is pretty much a conservative Christian wet dream.

With all respect, while I don't expect it, it would only takes a 5-4 vote to overturn it, so I think "wet dream" is a bit of an understatement:

It would not take much to overturn the Roe decision. With four of the nine members of the Supreme Court over 70 years old, the next occupant of the White House could have the opportunity to appoint one or more new justices. If say, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the oldest member, retired and Mr. Romney named a replacement hostile to abortion rights, the basic right to abortion might well not survive.

That said, I'm pro-choice, but having a SCOTUS with a majority that actively sneers at the term "social justice" is more important to me than Roe, so...

See, I love life too. However I can't stomach the thought of black market abortions; no regulations, safeties etc. With it being on the books at least some protections both medical and legal for mother and child exist. In the meantime I want our culture to strive for the education and healthy lifestyles that should naturally reduce abortion to essentially an emergency necessity option... and also hopefully create a healthier outlook on sex, pregnancy and other life choices. [sorta how I look at the legalization of some drugs too, Regulate and Educate.]

Not sure what party that fits under because I'm always screamed at by the people that the Right wants no exceptions and the Left wants to offer everything at McDonald's.

My official political opinion is that I am not smart enough or well informed enough or inolved enough in the issues to know or care what is best for the country.

• 3 years later...

Marc Allan Feldman Libertarian 91%

John McAfee Libertarian 89%

Austin Petersen Libertarian 88%

Darryl W. Perry Libertarian 87%

Gary Johnson Libertarian 85%

Bernie Sanders Democratic 80%

Kinda interesting the closest non-Big Ell candidate would be the Bern.

Donald Trump, 88%

The lowest was Jill Stein at 17%, which makes sense given that I can't think of a single issue that I agree with the Greens on. If anything, it should even be lower. Clinton was my highest Dem at 30%.

I thought some of the political themes were interesting (is this part new?) Most of them I'm relatively centrist on, which moderate swings up to 50 points, but most being less than 10 points in any direction. A couple I scored highly on though:

Multiculturalism vs Assimilation, 70 pts

You side strongly towards “Assimilation”, meaning you strongly believe we should be a unified culture. This theme is most important to you.

Tough vs Tender, 88 pts

You side strongly towards “Tough”, meaning you strongly believe in tough love and have little sympathy for those that break the law or make bad choices. This theme is more important to you.

My lowest swing-

Religious vs Secular, 8 pts (towards secular)

You are a centrist on Religious and Secular issues. This theme is only less important to you.

Which would explain why I can vote GOP even though I actively despise the bible thumping group. At the end of the day, I can stomach being around them over progressives, which by the way, I scored 58 pts in favor of "traditional" over "progressive."

Guest El Chalupacabra

Bernie Sanders: 82%

Hillary Clinton: 79%

Jill Stein 79%

Austin Peterson 74%

John Kasich: 71%

Gary Johnson 65%

Donald Trump: 60%

Ted Cruz: 55%

Carrie, you strike me as being sympathetic to the so called "European new right" - the same tendencies in North America are being referred to as alternative right or alt-right. Believe it or not, I actually subscribe to some of these guys on YouTube. I actually kind of sympathize with them, to an extent, although I think a lot of them go too far the other way. Too much edge for the sake of edge, as one way of putting it. But the tough mindedness (to a point) and the rejection of political correctness resonate deeply with me. I don't necessarily oppose diversity and multiculturalism either, I just don't get blowing it up into a kind of secular religion - romanticizating them.

So, despite my rejection of so much of the contemporary left ... how do my views end up dovetailing with those of the communist party of my own country by 86 or 87%, according to this test?

Well I don't think I've made any secret of the fact that my views parallel the alt-right in many ways.

As far as you- well, because your views on many issues, including say, economics, are probably pretty similar. Notwithstanding gripes you may have with particular individuals, presentation/tone, or electability/feasibility of certain ideas.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.