WWE Weekly Television

Stallion

Definitely a pivot. They’ve been wanting the Rock/Roman match for so long, but it was the absolute worst time to try to do it. Cody is over like no baby face has been since, well; the Rock’s original run.

Rock is still over and loved by the fans, but this was NOT the right match and fortunately, to his credit, he recognized that once it was clear the fans rejected the whole thing.

But I swear to god if Cody doesn’t win at Mania this time…

Roman is one of those dudes I just can’t seem to figure out what the WWE sees in him. I’ve always thought he was boring as hell. I don’t dislike him, I just don’t care.

At least Lesnar’s not involved. 

Roman finally found his character. And it's a good character. The problem is the reduced schedule. From whatever rumors you want to believe, even with the remission of his Leukemia, he can't wrestle a full time schedule. Last year when he was showing up more often, Roman actually did WWE Live shows. This year has been a lot less.

Nothing Roman has done since WM39 has required him having the championship. If he had lost to Cody then, Rock/Roman would’ve been perfect this year. But that’s why he HAS to lose to Cody this year, because there at can’t be another year of this. Plus, I mean, it’s painfully obvious Roman is at best the third most important person in the company right now, behind Rock and Cody. Rock has absorbed all his oxygen. Sure as hell ain’t looking like the chief anymore with Rock around. That’s easy to build a story from after Roman drops the belt.

Agreed with Krawlie and Metropolis. The Roman vs Rock match was the plan. But WWE botched the execution. They thought the fans would be fine with Rock just taking Cody’s WM spot because hey, it’s the Rock! They misjudged how much we’re invested in Cody, which is a damn shame because they should know better. Shows you what they really think of their fans if they feel it’s that easy to take a character like Cody whom they’ve built up for years and just toss him to the side. The optics were made all the worse because around that same time the Rock was all over the news as the new member of the TKO board. Thank our lucky stars Vince is no longer in charge because if so, they would’ve doubled down on Rock vs Roman and done things to make Cody look stupid just to screw with everybody. Credit to WWE creative and the Rock himself for recognizing what was happening and pivoting. The last thing they wanted was for Philadelphia to crap on their main event. Rock knows all about that since the last time WWE tried to push Reigns on the fans, he and the Rock were booed out of the building at the 2015 Royal Rumble in Philly.

Roman has been great for WWE as its heel champion and you can’t deny that title has been made super important because of how long he’s held it (same as Gunther with the IC title). The Bloodline storyline was red hot two years ago with Sami Zayn joining the group and then all that went down with that. Had Reigns lost to Cody at last year’s WM, it would’ve been the perfect culmination to the whole Bloodline angle. But it lost its steam after Roman beat Cody and then disappeared for most of the year. IMO it was made worse by, every time he did wrestle, as infrequent as it was, all the matches were the same. I get that he’s a heel, but seriously? Many great heels in the past have had their share of clean wins. Just last month when Roman was in a 4-way match against Orton, Styles and LA Knight, that would’ve been the perfect opportunity to have a clean win. It’s a 4-way!!! Just have Orton hit the RKO on Styles or something like that where Roman could then sneak up behind Randy, toss him out of the ring and then he gets the pin on Styles. But no, even in a match involving so many wrestlers, they still had the same ending where the Bloodline interfered so Roman gets another cheap win.

They were calling him Shawn Spears, which I’m not sure he ever even went by in WWE. It was Dillinger, and for a short time he was Gavin Spears. If he ever was Shawn I can’t remember it

Either way I like it when they let wrestlers keep their real names/names used in other companies. I get they want their own copyrights, and usually that’s fine, but sometimes it’s just better this way

I found it odd that it was the Rock who put the stipulations into the match. If you beat us you get Roman one-on-one for the title; the Bloodline will be barred from ringside. That’s usually a face move. Heels would never put themselves in such predicaments. It should’ve been Cody and Seth who add the stipulations so that in wrestling 101 terms, the heels are the ones who have to think about accepting or risk looking like cowards. This is ass backwards. The only way it makes sense is if Rock is setting Roman up, as many believe is what’s happening. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.