WWE Weekly Television

Stallion

I just have to say that last night's 20th Anniversary Raw show was very underwhelming. I was expecting more. The beginning, with the theme music over the years, was great to hear. But, where was HBK? Bret Hart? Austin? A lot of people missing. One thing that made me drop my chin was Barrett cleanly pinning Orton. That was a tad surprising.

The key to Divas matches is just like most other matches - it takes two characters the crowd cares about. Doesn't have to be a good match if the people really care about what they're seeing, and really want one person to win or want one person to lose really bad. Trish vs Stephanie @ No Way Out '01, any Trish vs Lita or Trish vs Mickie James match, the Lita vs Victoria cage match, Molly Holly vs Ivory, I mean really the maches were good and the talent was good. It was a small niche in wrestling with a small roster of Divas, so most of the good stuff involves the aforementioned Divas (not counting Stephanie).

It didn't always suck.

The attitude era had a great divas division. Any diva not being used in a feud over the Womens Championship was either a valet or manager and could be interwoven into other feuds and play equally with the boys.

The problem is with the talent they have now, they keep letting the best ones go. If they got behind it with good writing they could have had a great division with Beth, Natalya, Eve, Gail Kim and Kelly Kelly. They only have 3 women who are over: one isn't a wrestler (Vickie), one left on Monday (Eve) and the other is involved in a top feud (AJ).

I've always hated chick wrestling, even if the wrestlers were talented. I think it's because it's harder for me to suspend disbelief. Part of what makes wrestling work for me is when thou have interesting characters, and there have never been enough interesting chick wrestlers at one time to make it appealing. It just looks like a bunch of hot chicks cat fighting.

Part of the reason why I hate it is because I'm always thinking of what they could be doing instead, like giving male mid carders more air time.

• 2 months later...

The Arena is dead. I thought that traffic would pick up for Mania, but it didn't happen.

The crowd was awesome last night, and I'm interested to see if there is any carry over. I'm thinking if/when Mania comes to Dallas, I may just spend all my money on Raw the next night.

Last night was once of the best things I've seen in wrestling in years. Hottest crowd I've seen for as long as I can remember. I am so glad I decided to watch last night.

Thing is, I'm not sure the WM29 crowd would have been as hot for Ziggler cashing in as NJ was last night. I would guess not.

I really like the Ryback turn. Between the general Cena hate and the Goldberg chants it makes sense to feud these guys to see if anything shakes out. Both have been pushed as faces, but neither have been universally embraced.

If neither of them make any progress with the fans how cool would it be if they BOTH became heels? Then guys like Punk, Ziggler, and Bryan would have the perfect foils to to become true superstars.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.