Once Upon a Time

irishdancer2

I caught up while I was down with the flu this weekend, and these are my general thoughts about the last three (or maybe four) episodes:

1. The bad team's habit of rehashing their plans out loud so Team Good can overhear is getting old.

2. I guess I can buy that Bae is also whats-his-face, but the big "Is this my son" moment could have been handled better. Henry calls her Emma 99.9% of the time, and he chooses that particular moment to walk in and call her mom? I don't buy it, and it threw me out of the scene.

3. Young Snow is getting too tall to be young Snow anymore, but she’s a fantastic actress. Her performances affect me much more than adult Snow’s do these days.

4. Where is August?

5. I rather liked young Rumpelstiltskin and Cora together, but seriously, HOW MANY TIMES do we have to watch this guy get his heart ripped out? Even once he's the Dark One he can't catch a break!

6. On a related note, how many times is Regina going to decide at the last minute to do the right thing for Henry's sake and then watch him leave with Team Snow?

I was a little underwhelmed by these episodes, but it could have been because I was also marathoning Game of Thrones, which I've decided is perfect in every way.

• 7 months later...

I was pretty quiet about it last season -- a combination of watching every ep time-shifted three days later, plus a general feeling of "meh".

I do still like the little glimmers of creativity they let in here and there. Best moment this week: when Tink reveals she found the bodies of Tamara and Greg ("what was left of him"), you see this fleeting moment of "WOO-HOO!" pass across Regina's face. Quick but priceless. :thumbsup:

<p>I missed that, I'll have to look at that again. LOL</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I was obsessed with Season One. LOVED it. Started losing steam for it halfway through Season 2.  Season 3 so far is just okay.  I do like Peter Pan so we're good for now. I suspect this Neverland experience will last as long as last season's Mom and Daughter excursion to the homeland. The writers seem to want to break each season into half season arcs. Which is fine, especially for the ones that suck.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

I like this show a lot, not caught up, watching it on Netflix. So I'm not really reading this thread/spoilers and stuff, but I just had to say something because stuff is going on in season two which makes me want to drop the show almost...

Snow is whining and depressed about killing someone. All the characters are like OMG Snow! Snow is like OMG who am I? I'm like you are the queen of a realm who fought a years long civil war... you've killed what has to be countless soldiers. Men. Perhaps fathers themselves, husbands, brothers etc. and you are crying over killing Magical Girl Hilter? Get the **** out. ****ing dumb.

Maybe Snow prided herself on conducting a fairly bloodless campaign, in which they simply captured all their opponents instead of killing them. Like The A-Team.

Apropos of nothing, found a neat thing today: a family/relationship tree for the entire series to date. No spoilers in there for season 3, since it's barely moved the mythology forward an inch. Pretty thorough, and as convoluted as you'd expect.

Season 3, I AM IN YOU!

Finished S2 and S3E1 yesterday night. I have to say that even though I saw it coming way back when Hook Solo was introduced, I am a little uncomfortable with Peter being a villain. I am holding hope that he's missing his heart or perhaps The Shadow thing is important to his soul working correctly.

The Family Tree Diagram is neat, btw. Low res for me however, felt like I was trying to read an eye test without my glasses. I am on mobile, perhaps that is messing with the image.

My wife and I should be caught up by the weekend now. Yay!

So I was thinking about my issue with S2 today, I'm a Mr.Mom remember so I have time on my hands and no adult to talk to. lol. Anyway...

The series focused on the wrong event for Snow to be tormented over. Everyone is OMG you killed that person and now your heart is dark, but in the heat of battle them or us was in effect. It was detailed just as such. The hero had to make that decision, it's a tough choice but the right one. Plus as I said before it's not like Snow hasn't killed hundreds of times prior to that so the story can't be about "it's my first time taking a life" that soldiers and peace officers often have to come to terms with.

What should have been keyed on however is the moment when Regina finds Snow with the instrument of doom. In that moment Snow talks to Regina and delivers an empassioned speech about how Regina can finally have the love she needs. Snow's whole character arc up to this wants Regina to turn good, but here with absolute intention we see Snow is abusing this known truth about herself. Snow gives Regina hope, convinces Regina love can be hers, that it can heal all wounds, but what Snow is truly doing is turning Regina into the weapon that which Snow wields to kill the villain that must die given the circumstances.

And make no mistake the villain must die, that situation was sealed with two outcomes. Killing the villain should not be the issue that darkens the soul, how Snow did it should have been the focus.

But alas the series never brought that up. Not even Regina when she confronts Snow. The thing that is focused on is the act of killing the villain, not the how.

Such a missed opportunity and now I realize that is the heart, pun intended, of why Snow and Companies whining about it bothered me so much.

• 1 month later...
Guest Indymion

Is no one watching? Who really thinks Gold is dead? Not I! I hope Pan is not gone for good, even if he's Rump's papa. He's been a fun villain.

And you think Hook would have tried being a bit more subtle than trying to lay a smacker on Emma! He knows she doesn't remember anything, what did he think she was going to do?

Pretty certain Hook was banking on True Love's Kiss to "wake her up", but unfortunately for Hook/Emma fans she obviously doesn't feel that way about him.

As for Pan I give credit to the actor/writing because the performance is wonderful. Lots of subtly in expression that seems to defy the age of the actor, which gets a nice display of contrast when he's being Henry. With that said I hate with full prejudice the concept of Pan being a villain.

I've never liked Peter Pan (I always wished the Disney version had ended with Wendy punching him in the face), so I had no problem with him as a villain. I was surprised how much I liked the actor's performance -- both as a snotty but wizened Pan and as Henry.

I also thought the mid-season finale, even with its cliffhanger, would've made a fantastic series finale if ratings had dipped more and ABC had pulled the plug already. It would've ended up a tragedy, yes, but in many ways we got so much closure with the cast as a whole.

Guest Indymion

I was disappointed that Pan is Rump's dad. But I do love him as a villian!

And yes, I forgot about true love's kiss! Emma just doesn't have the feels for Hook for that to happen. Maybe it would take something a bit more, erm...intimate since I'm pretty sure it's more lust on her part.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.