Once Upon a Time

irishdancer2

Following a really cool commercial for it, season 2 premiered last Sunday night. I thought it was pretty solid all around. Among my favorite bits *SPOILERS*:

*MULAN OMG MULAN!

*How worthless Sleeping Beauty looked next to Mulan :lol:

*Emilie de Ravin (Belle) as a regular! YESSSSSSSSS!

*The gooshy end moment between Belle and Rumpelstiltskin

Negatives

*Soooo... Mulan was in love with Prince whats-his-face? That's weird.

*Soooo... wraiths=dementors? I don't care if the wraith myth predates Harry Potter; after millions of people saw dementors come to life in the films, the OuaT FX people should've designed them differently. Not only did it look really similar to dementors, the soul sucking looked EXACTLY the same.

*Snow wanting instant mommy-daughter bonding. AUGH, she's annoying me already!

Anybody else watch it?

I watched it and loved it, of course.

By the way, in rewatching Season 1 I was able to appreciate Snow and Charming's love theme and how many different variations they used on it during the season. A lot of effort was put into that and it went over my head during the course of the seven months the season aired. It's only when watching episode after episode close together that you really get it.

Rewatching season one with the knowledge that Gold remembers everything is also cool because you see how many private jokes he makes at people's expense. It's pretty cool.

I'm really glad that the fantasy scenes this episode turned out to be flash sideways instead of flashbacks. A season of flashbacks leading up the curse was okay but that'd get tedious after a while so I hope they're done with that. We don't really need to know how Snow and Charming specifically took their kingdom back. They did it, so let's move on to present times. Flash sideways handles this nicely. We still get fantasy scenes but they're current and relevant to the situation at hand.

He was awesome on True Blood so I'm intrigued.

Pinocchio is on ice because there's too much going on right now. They had a lot of threads to pick up from last season's finale and there's only so much screen time, so why not just have it be that he's laying in that bed for a couple episodes still a wooden boy until things slow down and they have screen time for him? Maybe there'll have to be some kind of magical quest to get him turned back into a human again.

Okay, now I'm wondering where Pinocchio is. Or where his wooden corpse is. LOL

I didn't see it until tonight but Regina is going to have a Benesque arc. Ben started out being total evil on Lost and over the course of four seasons was redeemed somewhat. He was never completely good, but He Got Better. I suspect the same for Regina.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay, Cerina!!!

Yeah, Dex, I at least believe that whatever else happens, Regina does really care about Henry. I loved last week when she realized she was turning out like Cora and stopped herself. This week was pretty meh for me. No Rumpelstiltskin and very little Regina makes for a very boring mix. Snow and Emma playing all mommy-daughter still weirds me out. Lancelot was interesting, though. I hope he's not really dead.

I was completely distracted this week by what is either bad dialogue or bad acting. I can't really figure out which. (I'm totally caught up now btw.)

Also, maybe it's just me...but if you're going to title an Episode "Lady of the Lake" that includes Lancelot it should actually include the LADY OF THE LAKE!! :angry:

I was completely distracted this week by what is either bad dialogue or bad acting. I can't really figure out which. (I'm totally caught up now btw.)

This. Everything felt very rushed. I think trying to squeeze in a flashback, a Storybrooke sequence, and a real time fairytale storyline was too much. I also don't think Henry and Charming have much chemistry together, so trying to make them all men-of-the-family together is weird as well.

Obviously they shot this episode and the one last week at the same time, which is why there weren't many main characters in common between the two eps.

When the first flashback was from before the curse I was immediately bored. I don't give a **** about any of that fantasy land ancient history anymore. Flash sideways are okay because they're current, but the past stuff doesn't interest me anymore. We've gotten the big answers, the ones that interest me, anyway. But when it moved forward to beyond when Rumple became the Dark One that got a little more interesting.

I'm not saying Rumple should have killed his wife ... but I understand.

Also, Vincent from Eureka looks VERY different with short hair. If not for his voice I'd have never recognized him.

I like the flashbacks. I enjoy seeing how they've taken so many different characters from different situations and have them all entertwined and stuff. I especially like the "twists" they have on them, like Rumplestilskin being the Beast AND the croc (though my son would be disaapointed because he loves Tick Tock Croc).

I like Charming a lot less in the real world. I think he's the only person I feel this way about.

I like anything that has to do with Rumpelstiltskin, flashback or otherwise.

Cerina, I feel the same way. I think it's because I can't get over him being cheating-husband-David, even though he's Charming now.

EDIT: Brainstorm! What if the guy in the opening of the season premiere was Baelfire?!

I echo point C!

A. Am I the only one just suffering through the Emma/Snow parts now? Rumpel and Regina make this show for me, and Lana Parrilla continues to impress me more and more the farther they go into Regina's backstory.

B. Having Jefferson have the upper hand (over Regina) in this episode was really interesting. I'm curious to see if there were more steps between that and her taking him away from his daughter.

C. I like Dr. Whale :yes:

D. I LOVE Archie! It always makes my night when he pops up.

The norm for stories in Once Upon have either fairy tales or popular stories whose cookie jar Disney has had a hand in and I was on the fence thoughout the episodes since Wales doesn't fit in that. But then at the very end, they showed at awesome castle and BW world and they won me over. But are they now going to have Ruby date Lon Chaney Jr ? Has Griffin been in Storybrook all this time unseen ?

1. The guy from this episode was the guy from the opening scene of the season premiere, wasn't it?

2. I like Emma better when she's away from Mary Margaret. I actually enjoyed the flirtation with Hook, though now he's going to be a douche to them.

3. The giant is The Blitz!

4. I'm very meh on Sleeping Beauty.

1. That was totally the same guy.

2. Me too!! OMG!

3. Whut?

4. Same. She bores me. Sorta, this whole dream thing is slightly interesting.

This episode was pretty good. I liked all the stuff about Emma and the mystery dude from the beginning. Can't wait to see what that means! I'm also intrigued by this shared dream Henry and Aurora are having. AND WHAT WAS IN THAT BOX?!?

3. He's a one-episode character from How I Met Your Mother. Coincidentally, that episode was also one that featured Jennifer Morrison (Emma).

I enjoyed Emma's hipster fashion sense :lol: I actually much prefer her as that character. Sometimes modern-Emma comes across as too wooden. Mystery dude was kind of too scuzzy for me. I know he's a thief and they're on the run or whatever, but he defintely had a stoner vibe.

:shrug: This one was okay.

1. I want to punch King George in the face.

2. I was actually waiting for an awkward kissing moment when Ruby and David were standing watching Henry sleep. I think I hate Mary Margaret too much.

3. Okay, here's a thought for Belle. There's a big murderous mob coming after your friend... maybe you should call your on-again/off-again BF, Mr. Gold? Because, you know, there's pretty much nothing he can't take of.

4. Seriously, did they just decide they don't want to pay their leads anymore?

1) Ditto.

2) I don't hate her but still ... hawt.

3) I suspect she didn't because Gold doesn't need any more motivation to do evil things. It'd be like needing a ride home from the bar and calling your alcoholic friend. NOT cool.

4) This happened on Lost as well. They'd go weeks with us seeing very little of the leads. Happens on big ensemble shows.

1) I'm a little amused that this takes place in a small town that no one can enter or leave, but George can pop out of nowhere after all this time and no one had any idea he was there. At least with Dr. Frankenstein, he was around as Dr. Whale first.

2) Yeah, she's hot. I was a little disappointed with her storyline here, because I like her as an actress. I got excited when she first met that other wolf thinking there was so much they could do with that. Then he took her home to the pack and mommy dearest and it got weird fast. Her friendship with David is cool, though. It's nice seeing him be nice to someone who he isn't in love with/isn't family.

3) Alright, fair enough.

4) I'm okay with it so far, as long as the episodes stay interesting enough.

5) They introduced three characters in this episode just to have the pleasure of killing them off. Excess, much?

• 4 weeks later...

George has been around he's the DA that tried to prosecute Mary Margaret.

Where. The. Hell. Is. Pinocchio.

I'm glad the mid season break ended somewhat happily. And I'm glad Emma and Snow made it back, that was getting annoying.

I really wish more of the main cast could act.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.