Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Opinion of the singularity: real or quackery?

vote in the poll

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Opinion of the singularity: real or quackery? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

?

1. Voted Real (6 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. Quackery (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*
  • Guests
Here is the wiki page for people that are not aware of the concept:
http://en.wikipedia....cal_singularity

In summary, it is decades old, but the idea was recently popularized further by Kurzweil, who wrote a whole book about it. The basic idea is that our ability to create devices to increase computational speed have exponentially increased over time, as per this image:

Posted Image

Here's another image illustrating the same point:

Posted Image

Now, the above is not the controversial part. What singularity says, however, is that eventually (and perhaps much sooner than we think), if our ability to increase computational speed continues to be exponential, we will soon reach a point where we create a CPU that can calculate at the speed exceeding the human brain.

Once that AI is created, it would be able to replicate and reproduce itself at even greater rates of increased intelligence, that point is labeled the singularity, which then would lead to something called the "intelligence explosion." In other words, the AI beings would be able to think (and create technology) in a way completely incomprehensible by humans. The theory suggests that at this point, society would rapidly and fundamentally change in such a way (perhaps in a matter of years), that it would be completely un-recognizible to humans today and we have no way of which to predict what will happen.

Whether this is good or bad is up to debate.. some suggest it could be good, such as the creation of brain-computer interfaces, which would presumably lead to human immortality. Others say it could be bad, such as the idea of "grey goo," that future AIs (in the theory, particularly nano-tech), would reproduce and replicate itself as such a high rate, that it would ultimately consume all the resources on Earth at a unstoppable rate.

Kurzweil suggests the singularity will happen at some point this century.

Plausible theory? Or just a load of quackery? Vote in the poll.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,245 posts
Ooh, this reminds me of an Asimov (I think) short story. I need to go find it....

I think there's something to it, how much I don't know; but something. There's still a long way to go, I know that much.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,245 posts
Oh yeah, here it is.(story). The Last Question (wiki).

Couldn't help but think of that a little bit.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
i'm jumping on the first spaceship to planet paradise when the first successful wormhole trip makes it back...unless it's controlled by the nanobots. this reminds me of episode 9, season 5 of futurama: a clockwork origin, when the jury made of an evolving race of robots evolves overnight to a higher state of consciousness. In the grand scheme, all physical beings are but yokles. Now settle your petty squables and get the hell out.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,679 posts
I love Kurzweil, but he is forgetting to factor politics into his theory. When idiot conservatives block things like stem cells and space funding and etc etc etc it slows technological progress. I think the singularity will occur, but not in this century.

Aside, if we do get an AI it'll be because Apple will have figured out to make it marketable and it will behave like a petulant hipster.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,846 posts
This
Posted Image

will lead to this
Posted Image

will lead to this
Posted Image

will lead to this

Posted Image