Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Batman Incorporated

DC Comics Batman Superheroes Comics Grant Morrison

8 replies to this topic

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Just picked up the trade for Volume 1. I think this is prior to 52, but from what I can tell in my 52 perusing Batman's last few storylines seem to have folded into the new continuity... so I guess wondering about continuity doesn't matter. LOL The pitch for this series concept seems to have been, "See that Batman: Brave and the Bold cartoon? Yeah take that, give it to Grant and tell him hey... Batman isn't for kids, Silly Rabbit!" In a manner this series seems like Elseworlds in DC Proper. As if some Doctor Whovian time/space event has transpired and realities are folded into one another. I think I like it. It's so damn out there that I think it's striking a chord for me.

My favorite new Batman so far is Man of Bats & Little Raven. So much :heart: for that.

Edited by The Human Torch, 31 October 2012 - 06:22 PM.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,736 posts
Man of Bats was probably my favorite story to date. :thumbsup:

Batman Inc. was the only DCU title that suffered no ill effects or consequences from the New 52 reboot. Grant Morrison is still trying to finish up the protracted Leviathan storyline that he's been telling since the beginning of his Batman run several years ago. It's a little more comprehensible if you've been reading from the beginning, but it's still good kooky fun if you haven't. I actually skipped large chunks of that Batman run, but I'm enjoying anyway.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Finished Volume 1. So much fun. They even went Tron: Batman! The end of Volume 1 both with the reveal and that death trap was so great. I'll definitely be looking for the next volume now. I have to say that Grant is hit or miss with me, everyone loved his All-Star Superman... but I was like eh. I loved his X-Men. Now I'm loving this Incorporated take on The Bat.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Hey! This is a thing that I like as well!

Volume 2 is currently ongoing --- Issues 1, 2, 3, and 0 have come out.

If you liked Batman Inc and haven't yet checked out the rest of his ongoing years long stint on Batman you might want to first direct your attention to "The Island of Mister Mayhew" in Issues 667, 668, and 669 (collected in trade as Batman : The Black Glove along with several other stories) and then to the six issues of Batman : The Return of Bruce Wayne. The former is Morrison's reintroduction of the long dormant Silver Age concept of the Club of Heroes (members of which are involved in Batman Inc) and the latter is a eon-spanning epic where a semi-amnesiac Batman falls through the past and becomes the Batman Of Many Different Eras including Stone Age Batman, Pirate Batman, Cowboy Batman and more! They're both the most like Batman Inc of his Batman work, I think.
  • The Human Torch +1 this

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Also : you might be interested in the excellent annotations for Morrison's Batman done by David Uzumeri over the years at Funnybook Babylon and ComicsAlliance. Here's a link to the annotations for Batman Inc #1 and here's a link to the Annotations tag at the same website.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

Batman Inc. was the only DCU title that suffered no ill effects or consequences from the New 52 reboot.

Green Lantern was unaffected, as well. Makes sense since those were their top sellers before the reboot.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I noticed that about Green Lantern too.

RC, I'll be on the hunt for those trades now!

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,398 posts
Yeah, but the problem with Green Lantern is that it's Geoff Johns. Morrison is a veteran comics writer that's left his mark on all the iconic superheroes. Johns is the world's luckiest fanboy.

Also, Synder/Cupello's Batman has been pretty awesome.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I haven't read enough Geoff Johns to distinguish a style or lack there off, I just know that DC really did him no favors with the way they packaged the Green Lantern trades.

Synder did 52's Night Owls stuff right? If so, yeah I enjoyed the first volume of that. Looking forward to the next one.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DC Comics, Batman, Superheroes, Comics, Grant Morrison