NFF Practice Squad Changes

Darth Lohr

Well, yeah, Ex. Not sure if you made him your DP or not, but either way, it was the year before we started the Practice Squad. So, as of last year, it really just comes down to is how long has he been in the league, if he was in the NFF at some point as a rookie, and has he ever played in an NFF game.

Yeah they must have been drafted onto somebody's roster/practice squad in the first year (and not been used in any game) in order for them to retain eligibility right?

Otherwise people can just pick up a good second/third year player whenever they want, which is not the point. It's about sporting rookie talent and letting them develop into players without being penalised by losing a bench spot (or at least that was my thinking when I first proposes the idea of a rookie keeper)

What the hell is the problem, people? There is nothing to be confused about, nothing unclear, and nothing that needs to be "fixed" next year. Read the damn thing again:

Players eligible for the Practice Squad may come from the NFF Draft, the Supplemental Rookie Draft, FA pool, and trades. In order to be eligible, players must be on an NFF roster as a rookie. Players will immediately lose eligibility if they appear in any game at any time.

Irish, I certainly hope you do a better job for your clients than you do your fantasy team. "The language was not specific enough"? Seriously? "Players eligible for the Practice Squad may come from the NFF Draft, the Supplemental Rookie Draft, FA pool, and trades." Unless you plan on birthing them in a cloning lab, I'm pretty sure that that very specifically covers all the possible ways players can get put on your PS.

"In order to be eligible, players must be on an NFF roster as a rookie." There is nothing remotely vague about that. The player must at some point of his rookie NFL season spend time on a NFF roster. Very simple. Very, very clear. The only possible way to confuse the issue is by choosing to interpret it by using language that is not there. No, it doesn't say, "Well, what if he's drafted and cut three days later" or "What if he's released by a team and picked up by a different team" or "What if he's picked up as a FA midway through his rookie year". It doesn't need to say any of those things, because it's a blanket statement that covers it all. Was he on a NFF roster when he was a rookie? OK, cool.

I sincerely hope there is not some kind of push already next season to "reform the system". This system was hammered out after great discussion, put into plain and clear language, explained repeatedly in open discussion to any owner who still had questions, and then it was voted on and passed without a single vote against. Despite all of that, there has been no shortage of confusion from the first day onward and now there's talk about changing the system? At some point, the burden needs to fall on the individual owners to grasp the source material provided them and not blame the system.

If we're going to go through all of this to come up with a new system and have people agree on it, then give it just one year before wanting to change it, I'd rather not even bother. Minor rule changes are one thing, but I really do not want to have significant parts of the league in constant flux. I am attaching the Practice Squad rules, as they were voted on, to the PS Roster thread. It will stay there permanently to be available to anyone whose understanding of any portion of the system is unclear. Let's give this thing a chance to run smoothly for awhile (which it will, if people stop to take the time to understand how it works).

Rookies only for designation to PS. Those not designated in their rookie year are FA's.

Lohr, careful with the condensing remarks. I'm not arguing with anyone, and obviously there is a misunderstanding. Just because you have one point of view doesn't make anyone else's wrong.

I don't think that should be the case. If I bail on Trent Richardson (because of a hypothetical bad rookie season) and don't keep him between years, and someone takes a "chance" on him in the draft for next season they should absolutely have the opportunity to designate him for practice squad. I'm pretty sure this actually happened with Randall Cobb. He's changed hands quite a few times (amazingly never having appeared in a game), spent time on the waiver wire, was kept once, not kept once, but as long as he remains eligible I see no reason his owner (in this particular case, me) can't keep him as a developmental player.

This is not a "rookie keeper" system, it's a "developmental keeper" system, I think that's where a lot of confusion comes from.

This isn't my point of view, this is the system as voted on by the league. It's not an opinion that the proposal covered specifically who is eligible and when, that's fact. It may be my opinion that people need to take the time and effort to actually read and understand things themselves, but that's because it's been explained over and over in every possible way I can think of. I'm sorry if it gets me a bit snarky, but Lucas and I put a ton of work into this to not only get it passed, but to make sure that everyone understood it. Hell, Sean, we even made sure to include you in the whole process of fleshing out the details.

So try and understand that I was really looking forward to reaching a point where we could just sit back and enjoy the ride, with the only work necessary being the actual day-to-day record keeping. We made the effort, we went through the process, now I just wish we could move forward. If there is some detail you want changed, that is one thing (and really a matter for the thread created for those issues). However, I honestly cannot understand how we are still having confusion over how this works. I think Lucas has a point with people thinking in terms of "rookie keepers", but this was all covered multiple times before the vote and many times since then - and is all spelled out in the proposal - so there really is no excuse for people not knowing or understanding.

Okay people claws away, let's not get into another cat-fight. People misunderstand things and see things differently; it's only a fantasy league after all.

Right.

I think the issue that cropped up is that Kaepernick was not drafted onto a roster or onto a Practice Squad. He was picked up off the bench by Ash halfway through the season and sat on the bench all year. That's fair enough. He wasn't used, no rules have been broken and Ash is using the system as he is allowed to do so. All good.

My misunderstanding is simply that I didn't think Kaepernick has been picked up at all at any point and Ash was now simply adding him to his PS (which as a proven player seemed a bit odd to me). That side of things is all good now, he has hasn't played and Ash has had him riding pine for the duration of the time he spent on his team. He then drops Kaepernick down to the PS. Fair enough.

And Sean, to be clear, this...

Irish, I certainly hope you do a better job for your clients than you do your fantasy team.

...was in jest. The kind we all make around here to each other. I am genuinely frustrated about certain things, but my "claws" were not really out, so you can go back to sleep, UKLK.

See -another joke!

• 2 weeks later...

It's not. In fact, I had already moved those two guys to the official PS roster quite awhile ago. I think Ex just misunderstood my explanation on FB. As to why I announced it myself...well, I was frickin' exhausted last night and I think I just did it out of habit, after I changed my own official PS roster. lol

Ex (and everyone), rookies drafted are automatically placed on your PS if you have open slots. Once the PS is full, any other rookies drafted are put on your regular roster. Once the draft is over, if you want to shuffle eligible players, you may. When that occurs, then you will need to announce it in this thread.

Also, if you drafted a rookie and he is listed on the PS and you plan to keep him there, you may go ahead and remove (waive) him from your ESPN roster, in order to make room for the rest of your draft picks (or free agents, post-draft).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.