Crazy Political Status Updates from my Facebook news feed...

Ness

I am not a cake person -- my grandma taught cake making/decorating at some adult extension course and her house was always full of cakes, pastries, chocolates, etc., but despite all of it, the only cake I liked was the German chocolate (not German in origin, btw), which I am literally drooling over thinking about now.

So is German chocolate cake widely hated or something?

Also, does cheesecake count as "real cake" or not? Because I do occasionally like cheesecake.

why are you sucking up to a NAZI??

My comments shouldn't be seen as sucking up to Pong. I'm shaming you for being even less than him.

And Spam is a level above Pong because she isn't one of your mouth breathers or Pong.

Back on topic, this has been making the rounds.

Not that it's a truly "crazy" political status update, but I do think it's kind of crazy how people who would never willingly associate with a conservative, couldn't articulate the GOP platform outside of gross caricatures even with 24 hours to study and 10 guns to their head keep passing these messages along to one another, convincing themselves that the only reason somebody could possibly disagree with their vote is 'cause that person is sexist and/or racist and possibly a religious fanatic. Such a nice, smugly reassuring bubble to live in :)

post-4639-0-48196800-1458926568_thumb.jpg

Back on topic, this has been making the rounds.

Not that it's a truly "crazy" political status update, but I do think it's kind of crazy how people who would never willingly associate with a conservative, couldn't articulate the GOP platform outside of gross caricatures even with 24 hours to study and 10 guns to their head keep passing these messages along to one another, convincing themselves that the only reason somebody could possibly disagree with their vote is 'cause that person is sexist and/or racist and possibly a religious fanatic. Such a nice, smugly reassuring bubble to live in :)

That thumbnail's actually kind of funny. Oversimplified, yes, but broadly accurate and succinct.

"A new project called “Vote Trump Get Dumped" is encouraging women everywhere to not date, sleep or canoodle with anyone who’s a Donald Trump supporter. “The Greeks did it. Women during the temperance movement did it. This is a tried and true method of getting men’s attention when they’re being dumb,” the website reads.

Not as interesting activism to me as 2004's "'No More Bush' Girls," but I applaud their efforts.

That thumbnail's actually kind of funny. Oversimplified, yes, but broadly accurate and succinct.

Yeah, that's why I made a point of saying it wasn't truly "crazy."

However, while I am pro-choice and can't imagine that ever changing, the idea that in order to be opposed to abortion you "think women aren't people" annoys the fuck out of me. Casting broad-brush aspersions on those who disagree is a childish, transparent, and tired attempt to silence debate on a morally complex issue. It also, IMO, betrays fear -- why is it so important to shut down the conversation?

I agree the stuff on the left-hand side (rich vs. Mexicans/Muslims/BLM) is oversimplified while broadly accurate. But at the end of the day, that shorthand only serves as an indictment of the United States' political illiteracy and intellectual bankruptcy.

However, while I am pro-choice and can't imagine that ever changing, the idea that in order to be opposed to abortion you "think women aren't people" annoys the **** out of me. Casting broad-brush aspersions on those who disagree is a childish, transparent, and tired attempt to silence debate on a morally complex issue. It also, IMO, betrays fear -- why is it so important to shut down the conversation?

If your whole political movement is essentially "vanguardist" in its nature; that is to say that the movement expropriates the identity of some group or another for political purposes, and relies upon the loyalty of that group for its legitimacy, these kinds of tactics are needed to maintain that loyalty. Fear of other groups and movements is needed to cement support.

I agree the stuff on the left-hand side (rich vs. Mexicans/Muslims/BLM) is oversimplified while broadly accurate. But at the end of the day, that shorthand only serves as an indictment of the United States' political illiteracy and intellectual bankruptcy.

Very well said.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.