Crazy Political Status Updates from my Facebook news feed...

Ness

I love the year the statistics were taken from. Also, malpractice is some scary stuff. It's just as telling about gun violence as about health practices that kill. While the conclusion it's trying to draw is pretty funny I think it's a great picture of America today and in 2011. :thumbsup:

the point that's being made is that people freak out about guns like they're killing everyone all the time and we have to ban them
Yep. Laughing at people who can't discuss guns without getting hyper-emotional about it doesn't mean you enjoy gun violence. Talk about a weird leap.

This totally reminds of a womyn's studies major I knew in college who foamed at the mouth over songs using the word "girl," who assumed I was rolling my eyes at her because I support domestic violence.

Also: I'm pretty sure the statistics in Ms. Spam's friend's poster are totally wrong.

:eek:

Very good point Pong. I think you know that I'm not one of those anti-government "nuts" that the gun control crowd likes to talk about. I don't own guns, and I'm not particularly anti-government. However, I think that repeatedly, history has given us indications that governments of all stripes can't be trusted too much. Even in our own history, there is a lot of precedent for having a healthy distrust of the government. I have long maintained that an armed populace is a check against government tyranny, yet some people think this type of attitude is completely whacko. I don't get that-- don't they realize that the American Revolution was essentially an armed insurrection (courtesy of an armed civilian populace) against perceived government tyranny?

I don't own guns, and I'm not particularly anti-government. However, I think that repeatedly, history has given us indications that governments of all stripes can't be trusted too much. Even in our own history, there is a lot of precedent for having a healthy distrust of the government. I have long maintained that an armed populace is a check against government tyranny, yet some people think this type of attitude is completely whacko.
To-tally agree.

But of course, they'll say "Blah blah blah, things were different then, blah blah blah, the U.S. military is far too powerful, blah blah blah..."

Which is, of course, horse****. If the 2nd Amendment wasn't about people protecting themselves from their own government, there'd be "reasonable restrictions" on it, like a warning that citizens who aren't police officers or in the military can only have muskets, not dangerous (and terrifying!) state-of-the-art rifles.

And of course the U.S. military is way too tough, but so what? How many rebellions in history have there been where the rebel side hasn't been outgunned and outmanned? How often do they actually win? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any where the upstarts started out as an odds-on favorite, and they rarely succeed militarily.

:eek:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

From a email that I just received:

Jim Rundberg is a candidate for Governor of Colorado. He is Republican, Pro-life, Against Gun Control, Making Colorado more free!

Thank you for contacting Jim Rundberg. He will respond to you very soon. Know that your ideas are always welcome. We are working together to build our future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.