Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How does your garden grow?

gardening vegetables fruits flowers

139 replies to this topic

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,594 posts
So I have been putting a lot of effort into the planters I have around my trailer. I spruced up the front yard with lots of colorful flowers and two new rose bushes. In the back I ripped out several yucca trees (seriously, who likes these?) and put in a vegetable garden. I planted three tomatoes: an Early Girl, Beefeater and yellow pear tomato variety. Several zucchini's and cucumbers as well as two orange bell pepper plants. I also sprinkled several seed packets I had throughout the planter to lend some color to the space. When the plants begin developing fruit I am going to put up a fence and a bird net as there are plenty of ground squirrels and birds that would be happy to steal all the fruits of my labor.

Back garden:
Posted Image
garden by aprilsaur, on Flickr

front planter:

Posted Image
front planter by aprilsaur, on Flickr

Posted Image
front planter2 by aprilsaur, on Flickr

as you can see, my trailer is a horrid poo brown color so the flowers are necessary!

What are you guys growing??

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Members
  • 19,812 posts
Pretty!

Peppermint has taken over my herb bed. Anyone want some?

Cashmere

Cashmere

puppy mama

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 7,204 posts
Looks lovely, Copper!

I am currently growing nothing because I have no sun at my apartment and a black thumb. :( I do enjoy the fruits of my dad's labor when I go home though! He has a huge garden full of delicious things like squash, tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. This year he's experimenting with grafting for his tomatoes, so I'm excited to see how they turn out.

I'm not sure what I would do with peppermint. What do you use it for, Icy?

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
I've got a **** ton of tomatoes and peppers, plus my girl has a bunch of medicinal herbs. We got some skills but our gardening space has been cut in half by our control freak neighbor who chronically kills plants and does not utilize her space at ALL. Pics to come, we are planting on may 15th when the soil is warm enough. We also have a green room indoors. Will show off soon...

Evolence

Evolence

Miss Nail Polish

• Members
  • 12,149 posts
A much more orderly garden than mine. My garden is several years old, so some of the plants that were originally planted have slowly died off (or been crowded out by their more aggressive neighbors). Some of my more aggressive plants that like to volunteer seedlings have spread all over the place. I still tend to things and will keep things somewhat ordered, but I've let nature run its course to some extent.

Right now my spring bulbs are putting on a nice show. The crocus and glory of the snow have already faded, but daffodils, hyacinth, and tulips are blooming (or about to). My forsythia is putting on quite the show of yellow...Funnily, it did very little last year. This shrub sort of needs some pruning, as its growth is sort of lopsided due to it growing towards the sun. I have a bunch of pulmonaria that have spread all over the place...Ditto that with my columbines. Next up to bloom will be the mass of forget-me-nots (this is one of those aggressive plants that has reseeded throughout my beds). Sadly, not everything has lived as long as I'd like. This winter I lost one of my shasta daisies, a couple of lupines, and this other short little plant that I can't remember the name of. This year was also not kind to a few of my shrubs...Specifically, a pieris and kalmia suffered some die back. I don't know if it was because of the sporadic, warmer than normal weather which was followed by cold spells or not.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 18,971 posts
Nice job, April. As for what I am growing? You'll have to ask my wife. We have planters that we place at the foot of our front walkway, plants that are planted in the bed around our mailbox, plants that are planted in a bed with border around our front tree and bush, a vine-like thing that is crawling up the side of our house and plants that line the area next to the walkway. Perennials or Annuals. Something like that.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Members
  • 19,812 posts

I'm not sure what I would do with peppermint. What do you use it for, Icy?

Mojitos!

Also tea, tabouleh, and fatoosh.
  • Good God a Bear and Lace Mindu +1 this

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

Infinity welcomes careful drivers.

• Members
  • 20,584 posts
Not much in my garden, as I am just starting out and do not have much money. But I planted beans, carrots, tomatoes, lettuce,marigolds, snapdragons, lobelias, black hollyhocks, and penny blacks. I have a big hanging pot of petunias and some other plants that I don't recognize; potted sage and oregano; and I put my cactus out on the porch in the hopes that it might do better than it has been indoors. Gotta get more potting soil and compost before I can put in more beds.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Members
  • 38,699 posts
Soooo disappointed this isn't in Lando. You can't tell from the main page anymore.

Yeahhh buddy

Yeahhh buddy

Big Pun

• Members
  • 152 posts
I tried growing tomatoes last year but the SOB squirrels kept eating them. The were some good tomatoes though.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
the north has all the best flowers: bulbs. growing bulbs in the south is sooo much of a hassel. you would have to dig up all the bulbs, dry them out, and leave them in the fridge for 15 weeks to simulate winter for that zone. **** that. gardening is too expensive, and i don't have my sweet, cheap-as-free soil hook up anymore. also, our most hardy fruit trees suck: brown turkey fig and grapefruit. yuck.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Took a walk down the other end of Eastie today with the lady. Found an old Eye-talian named Vinchenso sunning himself with a huge selection of plants in the alley way next to him. Totally have a local hook up for quality stuff now.. We picked up some lettuce but he had great lemon and lime trees we are going to go back for. Says he's been selling plants in that alleyway since 1972. Not a lot of that type of **** anymore in America.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,690 posts
We're sorta in the middle of our "gardening plan." We have the front bed cleared out and now it's home to a hydrangea, a philodendron, star jasmine, and some pretty annual color things I don't know the name of.

Meanwhile, we have several plants in the back in containers either flourishing or waiting to be planted in the back veggie garden (which is waiting to be dug up and made...). Right now we have a grape, some strawberries, squash, onions, spinach, chives and basil. My plan is to transfer the big ones (squash, onions) to the veggie garden, but keep a lot of the smaller plants in containers.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Members
  • 33,998 posts
We've got about 44352 plants growing in the house and in the yard. As for edibles: basil, sage, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, green and red peppers, Anaheim chilis, plums, oranges, cherry tomatoes, and regular large tomatoes. Tasty!

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 21,923 posts
I am currently growing moss. Lots and lots of moss. Everywhere.
  • Destiny Skywalker, Darth Krawlie and Good God a Bear +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 16,401 posts
I brought a fern. I am not doing well with my fern. Why Spam not able to raise ferns? ARGH!

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 21,923 posts

As for what I am growing? You'll have to ask my wife. ... Perennials or Annuals. Something like that.

MY HEAD HURTS
  • Copper +1 this

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• Members
  • 10,493 posts
i thought this was going to be about pubes

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 21,923 posts
of course you did

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Some comedian did a bit on how Scotsmen are experts on pubic hair. It was random, but somehow worked.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 20,538 posts

I am currently growing moss. Lots and lots of moss. Everywhere.

I think my yard is more moss than grass now. It feels like I'm walking on a pillow!

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 21,923 posts
And when you decide to let the moss have its way, it stops expanding. You can't win!

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Dont worry about what people say, we know the truth.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,594 posts
I forgot to post about my growing herb garden! Right now I have a ****-ton of parsley (it LOVES the weather here), oregano that some animal slept on one night and crushed but it's still hanging in there, rue (no idea what it's used for, but it said it was an herb and it has so pretty leaves) and mint that CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD DUN DUN DUN. For real though. I planted it in the fall and then it got super hot and I forgot to water it enough and it died. This spring it came back FROM THE ROOTS.

Posted Image
herbs by aprilsaur, on Flickr

also- I love moss, but it is tooooo hot where I live to grow it.

Lace Mindu

Lace Mindu

Hubcap Diamond Star Halo

• Members
  • 5,593 posts
Oooh, lookit all the pretty plants!! Isn't growing fun?

My own garden looks AWESOME thanks to virtually no winter in Chicago and a very early spring. I HAVE ROSES BLOOMING IN APRIL. 'nuff said. It's a spring miracle. Piccies to follow.

Icy, you'd love our huuuuge pot of mint. We got it at half-price day in the fall at my fave nursey tent in the mall parking lot, the employees all came out to bid goodbye to "the mojito plant". We suspect they helped pinch it back to it's bushy splendor. Oh, and I'm guessing you know why we keep it in a pot! But they called it "sweet mint" not peppermint...I'm thinking it's spearmint? Whatever it is, it goes very well with rum and cahacha (sp).

Ferns can be tricky to transplant. Give'em tons of water and they might perk up, though.

MG - I have a whole circular bed in the back that I am trying to grow moss in and it WON'T WORK. I think moss knows when you want it to grow, so it just refuses...although I hear they are very particular about Ph values, which I never check. But I keep hauling tons of different kinds home from my brother's woods and so far...nada. Phooey. The only moss that's growing anywhere is either on my bricks where I don't want it, or in my vegetable garden.

WHICH I just finished planting. 5 tomatoes (2 more in pots), 9 hot peppers, green and yellow beans (pole and bush), a zillion lettuces, spinach, chard, cauliflower, 8 cucumbers, 2 zucchini, onions, carrots, radishes and herbs, all smashed into (2) 3 1/2 x 10 foot beds. Forget this square foot gardening business, I'm into square inches. :)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gardening, vegetables, fruits, flowers