Films that SHOULD have sequels

The Human Torch

That's one a ton of people have pitched, but no one has bitten on.

I don't understand why. It'd benefit from better effects but the heart of the story is timeless. It seems like the perfect movie for a remake.

Imagine it. Centauri sending out the new Starfighter game with the latest console release...only this time Centauri is played by Julie Andrews.

What would be cool is an Ender's Game sort of twist to it-- where kids on Earth think they are playing a networked MMO game flying Starfighters not realizing that they are actually remote piloting drones in a real war. After the network connection destroyed, Centauri has to go find them to come and do it live.

Will you sue me if I write this as my next book? Hahahaha.

You are. Ready Player One is more like the Matrix where people know they are in it, the architect dies, and everyone plays the games to get control.

And Nanci-- NO YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!

I shouldn't post my ideas... but I was feeling all THT.

First they get the right to vote, NOW they want to be represented fairly in media? When will it end.

The matter deserves more respect than this. If "strong female lead" just ends up being a fad, a gimmick, or a replacement of one stale version of stock character for another, the whole notion will come to be seen in a bad light by serious movie goers. If not today, than down the road a decade or two when gender politics is no longer flavor of the month.

Fair representation in media deserves good writing, fresh ideas and well rounded, thought out characters. Not "boys are stupid, throw rocks at them; GIRL POWER! GIRL POWER!" This won't lead to good film, but to a sort of feminized variant of what "blaxploitation" was for its target audience. Remembered at best for being humorously kitschy.

[edit] I'd also hope you're not naive enough to believe most so called feminist concerns these days are actually about equality?

THIS!

Going with the topic and with some recent news; Ghostbusters to be rebooted with all female cast.

Like many I have always wanted another Ghostbusters film. I believe a sequel can be made with all the flavor of the property and required social benchmarks without a possibly flawed mathematical equality equation of the original has four male leads and so the reboot has four female leads. The previous films presented us with a strong female character in Dana, I know this can be argued against mostly on the Damsel-In-Distress basis and that's fair. However just because a character needs another character does that mean it is an inferior or slanderous representation of that type? Aren't people who need people the luckiest people in the world? ;-)

The Ghostbusters films really revolve around Dana more than anything. She is the catalyst. You can use that in a sequel, making it a bloodline thing. The sequel should revolve around Dana's son now being the catalyst. This provides an opportunity to bring in some surviving Ghostbusters, but as advisers, we really don't need to see 62 year old Dan Aykroyd in a jumpsuit. The torch can be carried by a younger generation. We don't need a set of four to get the feels right. Winston Zeddmore is a barely established character, but there are hints of more than 'busting as his life... which is intentional as he is us, Winston is the common citizen. Give Winston a daughter. This daughter is now the new torch bearer, she just doesn't know it yet.

Do not write a romance subplot.

Establish that Winston's daughter is like the guys were in the first one. Quirky, young, but not a student age, established but perhaps not yet respected. To avoid a carbon copy, empower this character with seeing her granted an earned professorship. This new responsibility then can be a point of angst when the peril starts. Heighten the differences from the similarities by establishing she's married and already has a kid or more. Winston's daughter's family has checked off all the traditional social marks for success as an adult, this is what she wanted for her. Unfortunately now the film's peril demands her genius and her compass. Her father's life now seems to be burdened onto her.

Establish that Dana's son is the common citizen. He has plenty to offer, not just snowflake syndrome due to his bloodline. He is a journalist, at his heart a truth discoverer with a keen investigative mind, but like many of us he is a ponderer... with part of that showing in a lack of real commitment to whatever he is committed to at the moment. His childhood was a broken one, in the traditional sense, but that doesn't mean he is broken. He struggles with that and as a result is at a place in his life were he is perhaps forcing a square peg into a round hole, he is getting married. The film opens with that and it's where we quickly get to have our family reunion before the cracks start to creepily creak.

Those two characters breathe life into a sequel and it writes itself from there. Those two characters should provide everything needed to examine all our modern sensibilities and most importantly, at least imo, they are an honest progression from the previous films.

I wouldn't worry about it having a romance sub plot, Human Torch. That's not really done any more. Defeats the purpose of having "strong female characters" after all.

I'm not surprised to see that these types of characters are often written poorly. Fiction intended to appease criticism rarely is.

Another sequel idea:

Cannonball Run

This time it's Comic Con Run. Various celebrities bored with the yearly drain of mass marketing junkets decide to make a game of having to work, the nerdiest of them jokes about Canonnball Run and then BAM! That's what they'll do. Winner has to make it to Hall H first, so the last leg of the race is on foot thru the floors of the San Diego Comic Con.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diPICUxtRdo

When I first saw it I thought they were teasing at the return of the Matrix franchise, which I thought would be amazing. You could bring back Morpheus and take a different direction with it. Maybe have him reach out to someone else instead of Neo this time. Maybe no need to confront any octopus machine overlords, just stay in the city and have fun with a new hero meant to save the day. A young child, boy or girl, would be great.

They are working on a King Conan movie now

You're right. And if they do it right, it can work well considering Arnold's age. Had they done it back in the 80's they would have had to put him in makeup or prosthetics to age him (a la Back to teh Future). Now he can actually just play the part of an older Conan who has become king. I think about how Clint Eastwood had the script to Unforgiven for years, but refused to film it because he wasn't old enough to play the part.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.