The last film you saw -- and what would you grade it

Rock

Re: Maleficent's unchanging "evil" appearance. That was annoying too, I agree. As was her name, given it's etymology. Perhaps they should have further played with the tale by having her good child self be called Briar Rose.

Just watched:

Pirate Radio

B+

Slow to start as the characters all had their 'this is who we are moments', but it then came together in a satisfying way. Quirky, sharp, wit. Quite enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: A-

if i was to pick between rise and dawn, i'd choose rise, just because i loved watching the growth of caeser. and what he was becoming. it's one of my favorite transformations in any movie i've ever seen.

with that said, dawn was pretty amazing. in rise, you saw caeser go from loving humans, to hating and despising humans. in dawn, while he doesn't go back to loving humans, he at least comes to the realization that not all apes are good, and not all humans are bad.

The Babadook - A-

A solid horror film that recalls Insidious and The Conjuring. Slow to build up and a bit of a let down ending prevent me from giving it a solid 'A' but a great first outing from as yet untried Australian director Jennifer Kent. When it peaks roughly between 30 minutes in until about the 1:20 minutes mark, you're in for some real shivers. This babadook critter is bad news.

• 2 weeks later...

Maleficent - B+

Pleasantly surprised. Jolie was wonderful, story was good and and I really enjoyed the world of Maleficent. The 3 pixies were dumb, though.

The Interview - B-

It was alright. Sometimes James Franco is nails in a movie, other times, he just completely sucks. For most of the movie, I thought he was pretty terrible, but he got better at the end. Silly movie throughout, the scene towards the end in the film editing room was pretty ridiculous (dumb), but but I'd view it again.

Interstellar: B

Too long, set up well for cool possibilities for space travel, wormholes, black holes, quantum mechanics, and terrifying space and such. Shame it had to turn all the build up into a Genesis song by using the "power of love" as it's solution. Was hoping it was gonna head more into the trippy 2001 space odyssey territory but instead it turned into Armageddon. Typical happy ending.

Kid talked me into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles last night-- the new one.

I was surprised that the Turtles themselves were not as bad as I expected. Leo was kind of uninteresting, weird since he was always the main one-- but their design and different physical styling and the FX were surprising decent.

Everything else though was terrible.

I'm so tired of contrived connect-the-dot script writing. How many times do I have to see a movie where the lead, in their first scene, must expound about how they didn't go to college to be doing THIS! (or substitute college for whatever current path they are on).

And everyone is somebody's father or they were connected and procphecy this or that. So tired of it.

Also, anyone else notice that this movie and Amazing Spider-Man had the exact same final act? Right down the to skyscraper germ-distribution device.

C-

Taken 3

D

Not memorable at all because you've seen the movie before, it's called The Fugitive only not as good. As such, the story was incredibly predictable. Shaky cam overload...why use shaky camera and odd camera angles on non-action scenes? There's no need for urgency so don't use it. Stunts were so far fetched and impossible they didn't make any sense. One second, he drives a car inside an elevator shaft at a parking garage. It hits the ground floor, he is in the drivers seat. It explodes seconds later. Seconds later after that, he's on the rooftop making a call on his cell. (??????)

Gone Girl

D-

Acting was top-notch, storyline was utter crap

Just finished watching this. I'll bump it up to a D+ only because for a short while in the middle I was somewhat interested, after being bored through most of the first half. Then, the end utterly destroyed what little entertainment I had enjoyed. I'm not an Affleck fan, but he wasn't the problem. Tami's right, the story just blew.

• 2 weeks later...

Fury: C

Let down by it's over the top ending. The first half of the film was great, loved seeing the war through the perspective of tank officers. Very claustrophobic. Liked how their armour while being a source of protection and cover also felt like a claustrophobic tomb. The character development and their relationships were great.. So when the film digressed into a "war is glorious come get some mother fuckers" finale it cheapened all the good initial set up work. It felt like 2 different films. The first half had the warts as all feel of saving private Ryan, not trying to glamorise or glorify what happened in the least. But then the second half felt like Mel Gibson's the Patriot or We Were Soldiers or something. It's a shame cause it was a really good set up and premise. That said I still enjoyed it.. Just not what it could have been.

• 3 weeks later...

The Kingsman: A

James Bond + Men in Black - Aliens = Kingsman.

Good action, good characters. Funny at times. Some graphic violence not suitable for children. It has a fight scene to the song Freebird and a shootout to the KC and the Sunshine Band's Baby Give it Up. Strange combos, but it worked well enough to make the action light-hearted and fun. Colin Firth did a lot of ass kicking, which is something I wasn't sure he could ever do, but he pulled it off. Samuel L Jackson plays the villain with a Mike Tyson lysp (why???). Whatever, it was a really enjoyable movie.

Nightcrawler: A-

I'm not sure how this movie flew under my radar in 2014, but I watched it and thought it was great! Jake Gylenhall was awesome as the lead. He plays this really likable guy...except he's not. He's an asshole, and would leave you in a fire to burn to death if it meant he could catch it on film and sell the footage. See this movie.

Edge of Tomorrow: B+

Another good movie from 2014 I somehow missed until now. It's basically a sci-fi version of Groundhog Day. That premise is what made it a very enjoyable movie. Tom Cruise proves he can still do action movies. Emily Blunt was perfectly cast for her role. She and Cruise had good chemistry together. It was cool seeing Cruise's character transform from a wimp to savior by reliving the same battle over and over again to the point of perfection. It was also fun to watch him just get destroyed over and over again. Can't give the movie an A because the ending was crap. It was fairytale-ish and didn't make any sense. It also seemed forced; I could almost here the director say "okay let's wrap it up now". Still, definitely a real good flick.

'The Cobbler' (2015)

I thought this was going to be some dramatic coming-of-age midlife crisis movie about Adam Sandler and Dustin Hoffman's father-son bonding during a Spring Peach Cobbler tournament in Brooklyn or something. But it was totally not. Got pretty dark. It was a dark 'comedy'. Must watch! A new turn for Adam Sandler. 2 paper maché boobies out of 3.

Grand Budapest Hotel!!! A-

"There are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity..."

There's SO MUCH quirk in this film that I adore, I can't even cover it all here. YOU WATCH IT PLEASE and come back here and chuckle knowingly at my sly references then, okay? Before you watch, know that this film is cutesy, whimsical and the plot has nothing to do with any real enjoyment you'll get. If you abhor those things, maybe this is not your film. But I usually cringe at whimsey and this one, I LOVE.

ZERO drawing on his moustache daily

The placement of the front desk in the hotel

The GIANT cast! The endless cameos!

Ralph Fiennes doing dry comedy!

BILL ****ing MURRAY!

The pastries, a birthmark of Mexico in meticulous detail, the place and people names and are we in Russia? Czechoslovakia? Elbonia???

The brilliant colors-especially vivid purple and electric red!

It's a visual feast-the optical equivalent of chocolate decadence with fudge frosting. I can't believe an American made this-it watches like a foreign film and reminds me a lot of the TV show Pushing Daisies, both in cinematography and line delivery.

LOVED.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.