The last film you saw -- and what would you grade it

Rock

• 2 weeks later...

The Two Faces of January

B+

It had many amazing character moments between Mortensen and the Isaac guy, but Dunst was a real stinker in the film. Also, the ending was not quite right- not sure how I would have changed it, but I wanted something a bit more... blurred.

but omg Viggo Mortensen was so so hot in this film!

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies in Retirement- A-, considering

It's from 1941. I'd never even heard of it and recorded it because of the description on my cable menu-which in my case, turned out to be highly inaccurate and that was fine because I was pleasantly surprised! In fact, about 15 minutes in, I was wondering why I'd never heard of this film before. It's not a star-studded cast, but it features Ida Lupino and Elsa Lanchester-no slouches in 1941 box office names. I also think the film quality is on the poor side-it's not very crisp.

But the stories are intriguing! It's a nice Halloween alternative-not scary by any means but very moody-set on the moors, lost of inclement weather and nefarious goings-on. There are 2 'dotty' sisters, which sort of reminded me of Arsenic and Old Lace, but I liked these 2 better, especially Lanchester's role. There's murder, there's 1941 sexual tension, there's a hoity-toity dowager, downtrodden servants and mischief.

Seeing that it's 73 years old, yeah-A-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033802/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Dead Again- B-

The formula has been done to death but I still love it-amnesiac is hypnotized to find out who she is and gets regressed to a former life, but there are a few twists, so that helps. They use the Back To The Future method of having the present-day actors also play the dead ones, but in this there are a few from the past who are still alive (the past isn't THAT distant). Maybe people who are good at figuring out what's going on in movies will know what's going on, but I was almost completely surprised.

Kenneth Branaugh and Emma Thompson's American accents are good-at least not very distracting. Wayne Knight is almost Newman in this and Andy Garcia plays a small, but rich part. Robin Williams plays an ex-psychiatrist who is now a stock clerk in a grocery store and this character is DARK-it reminds me of his role in Insomnia a bit and given his recent suicide, I rewound and rewatched a bit for clues.

There's also one of the most realistic "fight scenes" I've ever seen in a movie-couple of punches and it's done-no superhero moves, no constant poundings with no consequences.

Psycho-- A

So very good. Roommate didn't understand the "hype" about it. Hahaha.

Attack the Block-- B-

Pretty good but it was lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on. Also on an unrelated note, I had to put the subtitles on because I cannot freaking understand that South London accent.

Alien-- A+

Seriously. One of the best films ever.

Attack the Block-- B-

Pretty good but it was lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on. Also on an unrelated note, I had to put the subtitles on because I cannot freaking understand that South London accent.

That's cause they're from the GHEH-OH.....the GHEH-OHS of LONE-DON.

'I BREHK the rules' -Scary Spice

John Wick

B+

A great October movie. Good assassin movie that doesn't do too much of anything, does everything well.

nice clean choreography in the action. No shaky cam bull****.

It doesn't waste a lot of time awkwardly spoon-feeding you the storyline rather it SHOWS you what you need to know.

Interesting camera shots, (mostly) believable stunts. No over-the-top mega explosions and physics-defying uber-stunts.

Keanu Reeves is stoic but it works for his character. Plus he proves he can still kick ass.

The Poltergeist: A

Still a good scare flick after all these years. Just suspend your disbelief of the typical horror movie level IQ of the parents and it's very enjoyable. With a simple, yet effective storyline the poltergeist succeeds where it needs to in a horror flick without trying to do too much.

The Poltergeist 2: D+

Unlike it's predecessor, the sequel is boring and strange. Making Carol Ann some kind of clairvoyant is unnecessary and makes the story even less believable. This, in conjunction with a strange supporting cast and weird native American undertones makes the story stupid and confusing. The special effects were better than the first, at least.

The Poltergeist 3: F

Big Hero 6- B+

Beautiful movie. Amazing to look at. Funny at times. Beymax and Hero work great together. I did find the story a little generic, and the twist/reveal was obvious from the beginning. Also, maybe a bit heavy on the peril, as it was a bit taxing on my 4 year old, but overall he loved it. Already wants to see it again. Beymax will be a big hit with kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Hero 6- B-

Mixed bag. while it was beautiful to look at, and Beymax was a joy the story itself was paper thin. Very few jokes for the adults in the crowd and very cookie cutter side characters. That being said, I did laugh quite a few times while watching it. I just wish I didn't know exactly what was going to happen after the first 20 minutes of the film.

Total Recall- B-

Rewatched this old Arnold classic last night. He really got some awesome roles back in the day. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and wish there were more movies that took place on Mars!

• 2 weeks later...

Maleficent

C-

Pretty to look at is about all it has going for it. The art direction and cast are fine. The score is extremely lackluster whether by post production choice or the composer blowing... whatever it was it is almost criminal given Tchaikovsky could have been heavily featured. The plot is like fan fiction which gives every important moment to the title character while hacking to pieces all motivation and purpose from every other character. Story points and characterizations that are easily forgiven in an animated musical appear glaringly stupid in this modern live action film.

In addition the film attempts to expand on the fairytale and create a strong female piece but is bi-polar in it's efforts; Maleficent becomes herself thanks to rape, or well the closest thing we'll get in a Disney film. Sleeping Beauty is devoid of nobility or purpose, magically "blessed" to walk around smiling at everything like a simpleton. The Three Fairies have the handful of sense they did own stripped from them so that Maleficent can do more. Prince Philip is an afterthought with no purpose what so ever, instead he is gutted so Maleficent can again do more. Sleeping Beauty may as well not had a mother as the Queen is essentially non-existent, again so Maleficent can do more. Maleficent is greyed into heroism meanwhile the traditional good king is flipped to the villain with zero grey, no redeeming qualities. Maleficent is robbed of her Magnum-style "Did you see the sunrise?" moment because she must be painted more as a hero, only killing the villain because he tries a last ditch attempt to kill her.

Maybe C- is too good a grade.

It may sound like nit-picking, but a problem I have with maleficent is the fact that she's the only fairy that looks like a female vampire with devil horns. She LOOKS like a villain from birth, long before she went to the dark side. Then she gets screwed over by the future king and TURNS into a miserable, angry, revenge driven tragedy figure. The film made a point of this by transforming her kingdom in the marsh from a happy nature retreat to a frightening, hostile swamp. However, no transformation was made in her appearance. She looked evil the entire time, and I saw that as a continuity problem. I think she should have slowly grew horns over time.

It would be like Anakin Skywalker walking around the Jedi temple in a darth vader suit with a red lightsaber in the prequels. Wouldnt make any sense.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.