The last film you saw -- and what would you grade it

Rock

Love Is A Many Splendored Thing

D-

Cripes, it's supposedly a classic and I don't see why.

WWII war correspondant meets/falls in love with a Eurasian doctor-complications ensue.

It looks like it was filmed in Hong Kong -which is gorgeous- but to me, that's the only thing good about the whole film.

I'm sure it was released at a time in which a Caucasian man (AND HE'S MARRIED) dating a Eurasian woman was in horribly bad taste, so I'll bypass actually counting how many times she declares she is EURASIAN! (Must have been a brand new word back then, too).

The sets weren't spectacular, the editing is horrible. I don't know if the acting sucks or it's just that the dialogue is so stilted.

It does have a "so-bad-it's-good" quality to it, for instance,the gat dammed theme song is shoehorned in EVERY possible scene-it's in lobby music, bands in scenes play it, it swells up when they kiss-it is UBIQUITOUS. And cheesy. I small a drinking game!

If not drinking, don't bother.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest xhado123

Hannibal C

While a good ish standalone movie about a pschycotic murderer who eats people and has some sort of classy backstory, It promised to be a sequel to Silence of the Lambs and failed to bring the charm of Dr. Lector to the screen. I was truly afraid of the character in Silence, but in this movie he seemed... dull.

Sahara

C

A typical 90s style action adventure... ignore the fact it was made well into in the Aughts. Apparently it's a book series, if you are a fan of the book I will imagine you hated the film. There was enough here for me to dig, too bad the characters will never be revisited.

Afterthought: Given a choice between MattMc reprising Dirk Pitt or him reteaming with Kate Hudson for a Fool's Good sequel, I'll take Fool's Gold. I know it was a run of the mill romcom adventure, but I loved it as spiritual successor to Romancing the Stone. I am aware most hated it, but haters...

• 3 weeks later...

I've been watching a lot of Robin Williams films this last week.

What Dreams May Come - B

First time watch and rather enjoyed it. I liked the alternate ending better than what was used though.

Dead Poet's Society - A+

Still one of my favorite films. Love the scene where Keating brings out Todd's poetic side, breaking him out of his shell.

Hook - C+

I haven't seen this movie since the theater in 91 and didn't care for it then, but rewatching it again I think I've warmed up to it a little.

The Best of Times - B

I've always had fun watching this underrated film. It's a little slow going at times, but Kurt Russell and Robin Williams make up for it. They're great!

Sinister - A

Holy crap. Just ... holy crap. Watched this at 1 in the morning. Didn't need the sleep anyway. THIS, folks, is how you do a horror film. Creepy ambience prevails throughout, but enough dread to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout, and a few good jumpscares and some gore for good measure. I'd hate to be inside the head of the guy who did the sound track. Must be on a first name basis with Cthulhu or something like that, 'cause it's damned creepy. One of the best horror fils I've seen in a long time. Perhaps ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the entire Woody Allen filmography by watching "Bananas" (1971). It's alright I prefer the comedies he made right after this one. I think it's his only one ever with nudity in it. Still haven't watched "Magic in the Moonlight" though.

I'm in a movie-watching funk right now. Looking for my next undiscovered gem. I feel like I watched everything and whatever I didn't watch was because it looked horrible to begin with.

I'm desperate...for high science fiction, for story-based auteur stuff, even really low budget if it's good. Somebody's gotta suggest something!

Oh yeah I also watched John Turturro's "Fading Gigolo" (2013) last night also with Woody Allen. I don't know if it was John Turturro's directorial debut, but it had that sort of 'actor-turned-director' feel to the directing, like it took itself a shade too seriously, like with Robert DeNiro-directed films. But it was good. Maybe it's because I was high, but Sofia Vargara was quite infectious.

• 2 weeks later...

Seven Psychopaths

B-

Is a bit plodding in pace. Also seems to walk a weird line of unintentionally and intentionally tipping it's hat to later plot points. I am a "look thru my fingers to block gore" type of viewer and there were several moments that made me cringe, but that is to be expected given the topic. The characters are neat, the self awareness is neat and the performances are fun.

'Are You Here' (2013) B+

'The Angriest Man in Brooklyn' (2013) B

Has anyone noticed that Robin Williams' entire filmography really looks like an ominous trail of hints that he would commit suicide? I didn't notice before but now it's really hitting me in the face how much you can see a tortured soul behind the façade. Insomnia, One Hour Photo, and now with The Angriest Man in Brooklyn.

Even Mork and Mindy would have these heartfelt sad speeches at the end of episodes...

• 2 weeks later...

About Time- C+

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

I can't be objective about time travel films unless they're very bad, so this may be better than a C+ and I'm just being cautious.

Rachel McAdams AGAIN plays the wife of a time traveler, but this one's set of rules is a little different than any I've seen and this film is a lot happier than The Time Traveler's Wife. I LOVED Bill Nighy in this, and for some reason Lindsay Duncan here reminded me of Mia Farrow throughout.

One of the things that sets this one apart from other time travel films for me is the balance of storylines (not sure I'm using that term correctly). It's not just or even mostly about time travel but time travel isn't just co-incidental, either. It's also about mindfulness, the relationships we cherish and how we nurture them and allowing people to just be who they are without an inkling to try to 'fix' them.

Some of the lines are profound and hilarious:

"Life's a mixed bag, no matter who you are. Look at Jesus: he was the son of a God, for God's sake and look how that turned out."

and

Tim: Do you like Kate Moss?

Mary: I absolutely love her! In fact, I almost wore one of her dresses here tonight. You?

Tim: No, no. Her clothes look terrible on me.

and

Tim: Oh look! I've forgotten this. Jimmy Fontana, Il Mondo.

Dad: Greatest record ever recorded by an Italian who looks like he's got a dead badger on his head.

BEST character: Uncle D

Highly recommended for a lazy Saturday afternoon or late Friday night leisurely viewing. I'd be interested in knowing what you thought/think of it.

Godzilla (2014) : D-

Seriously what a peice of shit of cinema. The only thing this film had going for it was the budget. Budget to pay for sweet effects and a good D.O.P who managed to get some nice shots. Other than that what a ****ing absolute waste of time. I watched it on a plane as well and ordinarily even the worst movies are tolerable on a plane. Not this though. Tripe.

Shadows (1959) B

Regular black guys as protagonists. Flawed, normal guys. And they're black. Normal mix of black and white characters and race is not even an issue in a 1950s movie. Of course they're New York liberals but still I never thought such a movie existed. By contrast we have much less diversity today in movies. Apparently this film was a huge inspiration on Martin Scorsese and other New York filmmakers. I gotta rethink how I write black characters after watching this movie. Why do I keep writing about racism and let the white man bring me down? Why can't I write black and brown characters as everyday as the characters in this movie?

Magic in the Moonlight (2014) B

If you like 'Midnight in Paris' for the 1920's set design, then you'll absolutely love this movie.

****SPOILERS!!!****Plus I love movies about successful men that are almost proven wrong and defeated but then come out on top anyway because they're the man. Like Michael Clayton.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.