The last film you saw -- and what would you grade it

Rock

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lotus1225

Percy Jackson & the Sea of Monsters - B-

This is better than the first Percy Jackson movie, and though they tweaked some of it, it was still okay. But if you've read the books, you can tell what really happened and what they changed in the movie. :hmm:

Ahhh, now I am afraid to watch TMI: City of Bones. I hope I won't be disappointed.

Guest Lotus1225

Just now, Warm Bodies: A

It's about the world in the post-apocalyptic era, and the atypical human-girl&zombie-boy love story.

There's the thrill and fun parts of it too.

I like this film much better than the common girl-vampire relationship. :)

Kick-Ass 2 - B

Not nearly as good as the first, but still entertaining with over the top outrageousness galore. Jim Carrey was great! I haven't liked him in anything in a long time, but he was a standout in this. Too bad he dissed the movie. I do wish Matthew Vaughn had directed again. It would have been much better.

Drive - B

Beautifully shot, but it's all aesthetic and achingly hip. Hollywood with indie film pretentions. Ryan Gosling is good at being a man of few words with a flick-switch-bezerker gene, and it's an entertaining film but not worth the hype.

Burn After Reading - A

****ing genius. Everything about this movie is rad. Brad Pitt does the best parody of his own stereotype it's fantastic. I wanna hate the guy but I just can't. ****ing love him. George Clooney is great as the spy/sex pest as well. Wanna hate him to but he is the man. Modern day Carey Grant right there. Great movie.

The World's End (2013)

Grade : B+

In many ways it is simultaneously the most childish and the most grown-up work done by Edgar Wright. Not as overtly comedic (though I'm sure I'll catch a lot of the jokes and callbacks and semi-obscurant or misheard Britishisms once I see it again) than prior efforts but really funny. It's a bit like Hot Fuzz in that it only fully embraces what it is towards the final third and it feels ... slower than his other work. Like it's been edited a little less in his usual rapidfire style. I'd rate it an A if I had grown up with (or even recognized) the music and maybe someday when I'm oooold and grey and all of 42 the whole thing will hit me where I live but for the moment it's a bit out of my wheel house.

Guest Lotus1225

The Mortal Instruments : City of Bones

Grade: A

For a movie adaptation of a book, I give it 3 thumbs up! I was so afraid to watch it at first, knowing that it's an adaptation of a book I read (and so the other Cassie Clare's books!). Surely, it had been tweaked here and there BUT the cast is AWESOME! Jace and Clary, and everyone were just so perfect! I wish The City of Ashes movie will come out soon.

The Cheshire Murders A-

It's an HBO documentary on one of the most horrific home invasions I've ever heard of.

I felt like I'd been punched hard, in the gut, when it was over. I wish I hadn't watched it and I've been watching and reading about true crime since I was 12. I cannot imagine having to have been on the jury. A few twists near the end make it even more WTF.

AWFUL. Well-done.

Just got back from seeing Elysium at the cinema. Thoroughly enjoyed it - superb cast, great story. The effects were very good.

The writer/director of District 9 has turned in another damn fine film.

Deserves a big fat A grade! :-)

I really really wanna see that

Just got back from seeing Rush - that film is amazing. Actors nailed it. If you like F1, you will love this, but even if you aren't a big fan, I still think you will be swept away by it.

If someone wrote that story, you'd throw things at the screen shouting how ridiculous that all these things happen, but it all did happen!

Watch it on the big screen - I found myself leaning into the corners as they were driving!

Grade:

F1 fan = A+;

non F1 fan, easily still a B+!

Star Trek into darkness. C+

A predictable blockbuster. Nice visuals and effects, but standard directing that you'd expect, a pretty boring story and pretty bad script too. I mean, it was enjoyable and all, but I could have easily had just as much fun watching anything else. Ho Hum. Oh and the accents are terrible as well. The russian guy? jeebus... I forgot how bad he was after the first film... Simon Pegg's scottish accent was pretty appalling too, though he did have some of the funniest moments in the film.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lone Ranger

C

A completely unnecessary origin story. Nobody needs to know how The Lone Ranger and Tonto got started. They just are. Doing a Lone Ranger movie about how he got started is like doing a Mickey Mouse movie all about Mickey's rise to greatness, him finding his little yellow boots, inheriting his white gloves from his dad, a meet/cute with Minnie Mouse. The least interesting part of The Lone Ranger is how he became The Lone Ranger and the most interesting part of The Lone Ranger is watching him be the Lone Ranger. So the parts of this movie where they are fighting bad guys on trains = good. Just about everything else = bad. I mean, you've seen the Pirates films. You know Elliot & Rossio can come up with some clever action sequences and figure out cool ways to use things like with Tonto's bird in the cage and stuff. But it's all in service to a story that's profoundly unneeded and that gets muddled in the telling (why did Butch Cavendish keep the silver mine a secret for 20 years? why do the good guys break off the search for the love interest and the love interest's son to go look for info in a whorehouse? is the silver cursed? characters just show up places for no reason and I can excuse the Tonto-breaking-out-jail thing but what about the love interest and the kid how did Tom Wilkinson and Barry Pepper find them hold on if Tom Wilkinson likes her how can he risk her falling in with dangerous criminals who will kill her if that old guy hadn't had a moment of regret they'd both be dead or even earlier during the faux-Comanche raid they could have been killed? why does Helena Bonham Carter hate Tom Wilkinson I thought she only hated William FIchtner?) and besides the best parts of the action-y bits were spoiled by the trailer.

Also, Tom Wilkinson is the bad guy in this movie and part of the Reid family in The Green Hornet (2011) so I guess that makes Danny his illegitimate son and not the brother's because every good nerd knows The Lone Ranger is The Green Hornet's uncle and that would explain his attachment to Ruth Wilson besides.

Elysium

C+

Why did they let Matt Damon play a Mexican? Why are human beings building the robots instead of robots building the robots? If the people on Elysium really don't care about the earthlings why do they bother shipping them back to their homes why not just throw them into space? Why am I supposed to be surprised if I'm told a character will die and then he dies why didn't the movie have Matt Damon cured of his radiation sickness instead and have him CHOOSE to die for the little girl and all little meerkats everywhere? If the hospital beds can magically reconstruct faces in seconds and cure cancer and make the lame walk again why can't they at least resurrect the recently deceased? Elysium seems like an exclusive place with relatively few people the government seems to be like seven guys and their command center is pretty small so where are all these fake IDs coming from? What is up with Jodie Foster's accent? How bad can the health care be if Matt Damon can break a bone and just walk around like he's fine and plus they give out free drugs at the parole office? If the technology exists for shoulder-mounted rockets from earth to fly all the way up to outer space in seconds flat then why haven't the poors tried to shoot down Elysium or threatened to do that if the rich don't share the magic bed technology with them? If they can get up there so easily why aren't they taking hostages instead of just going for the magic beds? Who are the ships full of magic beds for if Elysium doesn't want to share the magic beds with anyone but themselves? If Jodie Foster has the technology to make the lights in the room go off and avert surveillance then why not just be all like hey mister president I'm Jodie Foster wanna have hot sweaty times with me and then kill him instead of going through with this complicated coup? That would work on me. I would go for that. I know she's a lesbian and twice my age but still. Come on. Jodie Foster sweaty times. That'd be a story.

• 3 weeks later...

The War of the Arrows - A

The Youtube description calls it a martial arts film, but it's very much not. Plenty of suspenseful faceoffs between archers, with a decent story reminiscent of "The Last of the Mohicans," as one critic calls it.

Guys. I just got GI Joe from Netflix. But I am scared to put it in and watch it.

Don't expect anything good.

Just saw Man of Steel. It gets a B. Most over the top action sequences ever.. But it tries to be a little too serious for a superhero outing, and cheesy as all hell. Which is to be expected, but when you combine that with the serious heavy handedness it goes for as well it detracts a lot from the film. Loved Zod and crew's black suits with skull mask stuff. Reminded me a little of combine soldiers from Half life, meets Enclave armour from fallout, meets batmans steez.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.