The last film you saw -- and what would you grade it

Rock

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Starbuck is a pretty good French-language Québécois film about this guy who donated a lot to a sperm bank back in the eighties and now finds out he has hundreds and hundreds of kids. I give it a B! It's funny! Heartwarming! You should see it or wait for the upcoming English language re-make with Vince Vaughn in the title role!

Clarification : it is not a film about Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace even though that would be awesome they should totally make that instead of this boring Blood & Chrome thing they're doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Martha Marcy May Marlene-- A

totally trippy movie in which you don't really know what is memory and what is reality for several minutes at the beginning of each scene. Elizabeth Olsen proves that she's not just a pretty face like her older twin sisters. Looking forward to watching her career.

The Blues Brothers-- B+

Haven't seen it since I was a kid and I forgot how funny and odd it is. It DOES lag in a few spots, hence the less than A grade.

Zero Dark Thirty

C+

An intriguing romantic comedy that's short on laughs but long on heart. Jessica Chastain stars as a beautiful young overachiever with a razor sharp tongue on a desperate quest to find the right man. She's helped along the way by a ragtag group of misfits who don't always believe she'll find happiness but are willing to help her try. She spends most of the movie meeting up with friends and former co-workers of her beau-to-be and grilling them about his hobbies, interests, and general activities. Things take a turn for the worse and just when she's tracked him down their first date gets postponed again, and again, and again. Finally, everything falls into place and she manages to send over a bunch of the guys to bring him around for a midnight rendezvous. It's the ultimate meet-cute for this May(a)/December romance but can true love ever come to pass in our modern hectic world? Note : there is no need to see the first twenty-nine films in the Zero Dark series.

I'VE BEEN WATCHING LOTS OF MOVIES LATELY:

Silver Linings Playbook-- B+

This is the first movie I've seen that hasn't made me want to repeatedly slam Bradley Cooper's face into a curb. SO GOOD JOB BRAD! A really good portrayal of what living with mental illness is like. Also, Jennifer Lawrence, holy ****.

Total Rec(k)all-- C- This was the new one. It was just one big action scene. No one really even talked about what the plot was, and i had no emotional investment in the good guy winning or the bad guy losing. Pretty poor movie.

HELLO I am taking over this thread. For whatever reason, I'm watching a lot of movies lately.

Collateral-- A

I always think that Tom Cruise plays a better villain than hero. In this he's strikingly sociopathic, borderline mad. I love it. Jamie Foxx plays an excellent Every Day Man and Jada Pinkett Smith does a good job as the tough-but-vulnerable damsel in distress. ALSO: Mark Ruffalo with a slick back! AWESOME!

The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

A

More than ten years on (WHAT IS HAPPENING TO TIME????) it still holds up. Moody, deliberately meaningless, with great performances from B.B. Thornton, Frances McDormand, Tony Shalhoub, Michael Badalucco, actually everybody down to the one-scene cameo character actors are great.

Excision

B

A dark comedy horror about a misfit girl and her dreams and her family. Really quite scary; the dream sequences are grossly unnerving. Reminded me a little of this movie. Traci Lords (!!!) is good as the mom, Roger Bart likewise for the role of dad, and for some reason the school the main character goes to is staffed by Ray Wise, Marlee Matlin, Malcolm McDowell, and Matthew Gray Gubler. It is St. Hey-It's-That-Guy-From-That-Thing High School.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.