The last film you saw -- and what would you grade it

Rock

Little Monsters - A

This was one of my favorite movies as a kid, but I hadn't watched it again since becoming an adult and it was freakin' magical! Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but I almost enjoyed it more on this recent viewing than when I was a child. The plot holes are big enough to drive a truck through, but the costumes and make-up effects were pretty amazing, which helped cast that "movie" spell on me and made the plot holes unimportant. Good times. I will be buying this one for my future kids to enjoy someday.

Drive - B+ - I like Ryan Gosling. I don't buy him as a badass, though. Any of the long shots where he looks like a slender Guess model in his skinny jeans almost made me laugh. If Tom Hardy was in this role, A.

One for the Money - Wife loves the books. I love my wife. Grade: Incomplete.

The Phantom Menace 3D - F+ The + is for the 3D effects, which weren't that great. Too many things left just plain 2D. Any time people talk about the "subtle" 3D? Yeah, they probably don't realize that the whole movie isn't transferred to 3D. I watched about 25 minutes of this film with the glasses off.

Drive B+

I like Ryan Gosling. I don't buy him as a badass, though. Any of the long shots where he looks like a slender Guess model in his skinny jeans almost made me laugh. If Tom Hardy was in this role, A.

completely agree. also issues with the music; sometimes it fit perfectly and other times it didn't at all. i would have to say that the "violent and gory" scenes were done perfectly, acting wise and special effects, and did a lot to save to movie, otherwise, this movie would be kinda forgettable.

The Crazies F

if i turn the movie off before an hour into it, it gets an F. it was just too slow and low-budgety in a way that they were dragging their feet with boring dialogue to save money. womp womp.

Fast and Furious B

was not expecting to like this, but it surprised me.

Fast Five B-

lots of small nitpicks, pretty preposterous, but interesting enough to hold my attention and entertain me. i love that these movies are filled with a couple hundred sexy bitches. gave it a minus because fast and furious was better, to me.

Man on a Ledge - C+ - plot hole after plot hole. Just a ridiculous movie that could have been a Phone Booth level treat.

Chronicle - A- - It was the best "found-footage" style movie I've seen. I hate those types of movies, but this one was entertaining. Very good acting all around, and an awesome story with great character development.

Act of Valor - B+ - For what it was, it was very good. Gets dragged down by the "acting."

Arthur (2011) - B

My expectations were low and it exceeded them - not by much, but enough to feel a little elevated after watching the movie. I used to watch the original all the time as a kid, but I never really noticed or cared about the plot - I just like watching Dudley Moore be Dudley Moore. In this version, I enjoyed Russell Brandt be Russell Brandt, but I also actually noticed the plot and I thought the relationship between Mirin and Brandt was incredibly believable - kudos to them both. The love story wasn't anything to write home about - the real story was between Hodgeson and Aurther, imo. In general, it was entertaining and I do not regret watching it. Heck, when it starts getting syndicated on TV, I may even watch it again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bodega

Finally watched Downfall on netflix. Solid A. The actors look and move so much like their real life counterparts. I enjoyed the atmosphere and tension that came with making the German people under the Nazis so human. In a very clever way they had me rooting for them, if only in a theoretical "Hitler could have been great for the German people if he wasnt a raving bigot" kind of way. Led back into watching WWII in HD which mostly concerns itself with the Pacific front but is non the less captivating.

Tower Heist B-

first half was kind of boring. i expected more laughs. best part is the actual heist...i figure that was probably someone's "good/funny idea" and tried to write a story around it.

It was the best "found-footage" style movie I've seen.

quarantine

Immortals - C-

I wanted to rate it higher just for the concept and I wanted to rate it lower for the execution.

Hugo - A+

I really enjoy "love letter" movies from great film-makers about those things that inspire and fascinate them. (Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris is another one.) I saw it in 2-D but there are parts I could recognize as being very cool in 3-D. And I have to hear Scorsese's commentary. I could listen to him talk film for days on end.

The Big Year C+

too much of a "feel good" movie for me to give any letter higher than a C. from this cast, i wanted more adult humor than family fun with irritating drama that doesn't really deliver in the end. there were some good laughs. nothing spectacular, though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.