NIGHTLY FOOTBALL FEDERATION - Season X!

Rock

Another Viking victory showing what my team is capable of on a good day!

And my team showing that it's fully prepared to underachieve each and every week.

Not that you needed me to underachieve, because you would've beat almost anyone this week, but, yeah...sucking gets old. Fast. Very, very, fast.

Never going to be unhappy in a week where the team scores ~95 do that for a whole season and things will be okay. won't be too often thay Turner, Nicks, Clark, and Marshall will combine for 10(!) points, so I cant be upset about the total.

I'm also not upset with you having that total. :drool:

There's a reason I had a freaking tight end as a keeper this season. There's only about 3-4 tight ends any sane owner would keep from season to season and he's one.

On another note, I knew that Fritz was going to have a great season for the Bills so he was always high on my draftboard but Jackson has been a very nice surprise.

is it me or does scoring seem like it is up just a tad this year despite expansion?

Yes. I haven't posted about it because scoring started at a very high rate last year as well. I was going to give it a couple more weeks to see if it was sustainable before running the numbers. I'll see what we're at now though. Gimme a bit.

Irish: There have only been a handful of times that someone has lost while scoring 100+ points (I want to say like 15?) so yes, 3 weeks in a row is almost assuredly a record.

League Scoring

2006: 77.90ppg

2007: 81.61ppg

2008: 79.12ppg

2009: 84.39ppg

2010: 79.21ppg

2011: 93.75ppg

All-Time: 80.583 (excluding 2011 numbers)

That rate is almost assuredly unsustainable (I hope anyway, jeez). Scoring is up slightly in my other league with the same set-up (to 87ppg). So I think so far we're all just really lucky, and the sample size is really small so something like Dex's 145 point game raises the league average by 4 whole points, if you take the average of 93ppg. Give it time and it will fall. Scoring is up in the NFL this year but still not enough to account for such a huge jump.

Scoring is up in the NFL this year but still not enough to account for such a huge jump.

Yeah, but YARDS are way up this year in the NFL and yards is a big way we score in addition to TDs. Our scoring is up because offenses are moving the ball at an insane rate early this season. Defenses will catch up.

Total yardage is up 10 yards from last season. Team points per game is up by 1 (statistically larger than you might think). But neither of those numbers represent a jump large enough to account for our huge leap in scoring. I think it mostly just boils down to us being lucky so far and an extremely small sample size to look at. If we get 8 weeks in and we're still blowing score records out of the water, then we'll really have something.

More random thoughts & observations...

*The Micks have scored more points this season than seven other teams. Those seven teams have combined for ten wins while, as noted, the Micks are still winless.

*The Super Dragons have only scored one more point so far than the Nightmares, but have managed to turn it into two wins, versus the the Nightmares zero.

*The Haters have put up 336 points in the first three weeks. Last season, they didn't reach that total until Week Six.

*As many owners had hoped, the rule changes have helped defenses be more of a factor this year. Most teams have a D/ST averaging at least double figures and the defenses of Team Carr & the Ruff Puppies are tied for an eye-popping lead league of 19.0 ppg.

*To go slightly deeper into the numbers (and make a more apples-to-apples comparison), league average scoring through the first 3 weeks of the past 3 seasons was fairly consistent with the year-end average (with scoring actually increasing later in the season in 2009). So, even for this early in the season, this is rare. Lockout aftermath, then?

...2011 - 93.7 ppg

...2010 - 79.6 ppg

...2009 - 81.0 ppg

...2008 - 79.7 ppg

*Rob Gronkowski's 18.7 ppg is so rid-onk-ulous that not only is he leading all TEs in scoring, Wes Welker is the only receiver period that has a higher average.

AP:

The Ruff Puppies have traded WR Reggie Wayne to Rock's Heels. Ownership was sad to see him go but all parties partied on good terms.

Owner Tom was quoted as saying

"It was a tough decision to make. We came into the league and the first thing we wanted to do was make an impact. We did so by trading for Reggie and making him our number one priority. Sadly though, injuries have hurt his season, and after the big statement I made during the draft, I saw a need to improve this club. We wish him all the best, and Reggie was a true pro about it. He understood we needed to make a move to get depth at the RB position to take some pressure off the guys like Reggie. Unfortunately it meant he had to leave us. We know he is thrilled about heading to a club like the Heels."

The Ruff Puppies also included in the deal a 4th round pick in next year's draft. In return the Puppies add a needed veteran back up running back in James Stark and add the returning Sidney Rice to fill the void left by Wayne. To make room on the roster The Ruff Puppies announced that they have come to terms with J. Rogers on his release.

"We feel the addition of James gives us a chance to be more flexible in the running game and even in the pass game later on. And with Rice returning from injury he should have great upside while filling in for Reggie as we wait and see if any of our fine rookie wide outs develop into the true threats we feel they are going to be."

Tom went on to comment on the preseason predictions made.

"Here we are sitting at 2 and 1, and it was said we would be lucky to pull out a 5 win season. It was said the Pups would barely be able to put up 95 a week yet we sit almost 10 points higher. It's always tough being the newbie, you get hazed, you get looked over, you get disrespected. We aren't looking to have a solid year while building a solid foundation for the future. We are looking to have a winning season and build a franchise players BEG to come play for. I said we were going to come in and knock out the biggest joker on the block, and well, did you catch the score of last week's win the Pups had over the defending champion Jokers? Expect more of the same in the weeks to come."

ok so two questions.

1. I have someone on IR. What does that allow me?

2. I have never started Andy Dalton. He's a rookie. Can he be my rookie developer keeper or whatever (never start him all year)?

Activate them on IR allows you to keep them and get an extra bench spot

If you drafted dalton and haven' started him all year then yes he can be a development keeper come pre season. Start him like I have done with Dan Thomas and they lose that possibility

I thought it was they had to be picked in the draft? Just to stop people jumping on the best rookie throughout the season and keeping them for free for a few years? As long as Bryant was drafted and not played then I have no problem with that (and don't remember having any such problem at the time tbh)

Also: Come on GFC douches. Every single team in the IFC has scored more points than the rest of you. Don't let them start to win the conference war again

I thought it was they had to be picked in the draft? Just to stop people jumping on the best rookie throughout the season and keeping them for free for a few years? As long as Bryant was drafted and not played then I have no problem with that (and don't remember having any such problem at the time tbh)

We never really made a definition of whether or not they had to be drafted, so there's no rule against it. Another thing for off-season discussion.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.