NIGHTLY FOOTBALL FEDERATION - Season X!

Rock

Ok, ok, ok.

As I understand it, the purpose of the Rookie teams was to allow for two rookies per season, with the size of each rookie keeper squad never to exceed 6 (two rookies per year, maximum three year eligibility). Assuming that is correct, then it should be a max two round supplemental draft.

A good deal of this is due to my dereliction of duties as commish. I apologize for that. I even posted the "atta boy" comment to UKLK without thinking it through completely.

Obviously this needs fine tuning. And I have no doubt that there will be much discussion and debate on what is going on.

Bottom line, those who have a developmental keeper from the past two seasons have those players grandfathered into their rookie squad. They should have 2 spots for this year's developmental keepers. So the size of any given roster should be no larger than four (1 developmental from past 2 seasons plus 2 from this season).

The question I pose is that there are developmental squads with more than 2 keepers from this season - some drafted in the regular draft, some taken in the supplemental. I am inclined to let those owners keep their squads intact as is.

This is yet another situation where I cannot please everyone, so I am mindful of that. With that in mind I am inclined to allow the other owners to finish out their developmental squads with four players, to be taken care of in free agency on a first come, first served basis. Those owners would be responsible for posting in the developmental keeper thread that the Player is theirs, and if that rookie was picked up in free agency prior to the developmental designation, then they cannot be so designated.

Any thoughts are appreciated, but do realize that as with any disagreement, someone is not going to be happy with what I decide.

I don't see why we can't do FA's and continue the roookie draft? Maybe make a temp rule that nobody can pickup rookies until the draft, but everyone is fair game?

Also, I wish you two wouldn't stress on it. You have worked really, really hard on this. It was all thrown together really quickly, so there were bound to be a few kinks, but on the whole, well done. We'll have lots to discuss in the off season to iron out the wrinkles, but you two have laid down really good ground work. So I would advise a lil give and take on random issues now, knowing it'll all be worked out.

Which brings me to a proposal that I was talking to Eric about a week or so again. We always talk about "it'll be done in the off season" but never gets done because nobody knows when the hell the off season really is. We all get scattered around and such that there is only like one or two owners ready to talk.

The proposal is for us to have an official Post-Season Wrap-up, which would take place the day after the UBERBOWL and will last exactly 4 weeks, during which ALL issues will be discussed... resolutions, additions, & amendments will be nomniated and voted on. It would be mandatory attendance by all 12 owners. This way it's all done and over with.

Thoughts?

With that in mind I am inclined to allow the other owners to finish out their developmental squads with four players, to be taken care of in free agency on a first come, first served basis. .

I woudl hope this woudl be the course of action, as me and other owners spend 3-4 of our regular draft picks on rookies knowing they would be placed in the rookie keepers squad

How is that different than how we've been planning it? Once the supplemental rookie draft ends (yesterday), FA will then open up and owners may fill out their rosters and practice squads as necessary on the first come first served basis. You were always able to pick up rookies in FA and place them on the practice squad. That's the same right?

I'm not intending that to be snarky, I'm just making sure we're on the same page, or at least in the same chapter somewhere.

Which brings me to a proposal that I was talking to Eric about a week or so again. We always talk about "it'll be done in the off season" but never gets done because nobody knows when the hell the off season really is. We all get scattered around and such that there is only like one or two owners ready to talk.

My response to this is two-fold

1) I have found it to be the responsibility of the owners (especially the active ones) to make sure anything that needs brought up, is brought up. The Issues thread serves the purpose of keeping track of that stuff, and I checked before talking about changes this offseason. If it were really that important, someone would bring it up. I'm neither here nor there with the owners meetings. I do think they'd be beneficial, but I also don't think they are necessary. With respect to that:

2) It's put up or shut up time for some owners. They need to be active participants in league discussion and in the 'community' as a whole. If they can't do that, then it's time to part ways. Is it douche-baggy? Maybe, but when people don't post for weeks on end (sometimes more) it creates problems like what you're talking about. It's stressful for the select few who are trying to get something done. For the most part this year, getting a response for the rookie system wasn't too bad (although its clear many owners went "yeah yeah, that looks good, great.") but I know Rock had to pull friggin teeth with several owners last year.

You're right, Rock, this new system was rushed to get into place. In fact, towards the end, this is what Lucas was saying to people when trying to collect votes...

This discussion is moot at this point in time anyway gents. Less than half the league is in the PM and this is about the vote.

Further discussion and refinement can take place following the vote.

And what people understood how the draft was going to work came from the things he & I said in the NFF Rule CHange Committee, such as this...

I'm okay with there being a second draft to fill out other spots on Team's practice squads, just as long as it doesn't impact the regular draft, like Lohr said.

So, I am very confused why after saying that the draft was to fill out remaining spots on the squad and saying that we can fine tune things after the vote, suddenly Lucas is suddenly going "letter of the law" and fixating on wording in the proposal that should not have been there. We discussed a variety of practice squad sizes, anywhere from 2 to even 6 players. What was never discussed was having the supplemental draft only fill out part of the squad and then using free agency to fill the rest.

That makes no sense and isn't consistent with the way we do anything else. Having just two rounds was never even discussed, you simply put it in there and nobody noticed it when we were rushing to get this thing passed and into action.

Ok guys. The REAL commish's are Irish and Co-Commish UKLK. Garr, Eric and I help out, but the desicions need to be made them. No need for us to argue. Let's let them handle this snafu and we'll abide by what they say. We'll work out all the details in the off season.

Can I suggest instead of waiting until the end of the season when people will go AWOL, lets start talking about what we feel worked and didn't work. To be honest, come say March, I won't really remember what I like and didn't like about the whole thing.

Just saying.

Our season ends when the NFL playoffs begin. So our "meeting" will still take place during football so it'll all still be relevant. Trust me.

We also have a thread to list NFF offseason issues so you can list stuff there as the season goes along.

Ash, you can bring up anything anytime in the this thread. It's good to start talking about things sooner, I agree. I think what Rock is saying is that was need to start acting on things right away, instead of waiting.

Gar, those are statements you made - how in the world do they not apply? You said you saw the purpose of the supplemental draft as being to fill out the practice squad. That statement doesn't require any other context to make its meaning clear. Same with the first quote. People were asking a number of questions about the various points of the proposal and you told them we could "discuss and refine it later". You were not talking about anything specific, but rather any point in general and this is one of those things that needs discussion & refinement.

Rock's right, though. I don't think there's any doubt as to what you and I think, what matters now is what everyone else (especially Irish & UKLK) thinks.

Alright. The free agents should be available for tomorrow. If anyone has a problem and is locked out from picking up players, let me know. If you can get a screen grab, that would be helpful as well.

We are going to let any team fill out their development squad with four rookies at that time as well.

For ease (and if it's even possible) I will see of the site will just allow me to expand the benches by 4 to just place developmental players on the roster and out of the FA pool.

That really isn't really going to make things simple. Yes, all players will be accounted for on ESPN. However, if you add four spots for the practice squad, they're going to appear the same as all the regular spots. So someone is going to have to keep track of whether all the extra spots are only being used on eligible players and not as extra spots. In addition, there will be no way to tell when someone signs a player that happens to be eligible if they are signing him to the regular roster or the practice squad, since they're both lumped together.

So, that means you still have to have a thread to keep track of exactly who is and who isn't on the practice squad. Which is exactly what we have now. The current practice squad rosters are kept updated on the very first page of the thread. You'll only need to really bother checking this list if you happen to be picking up a FA that is practice squad eligible, which isn't likely to be very often. Is it really so hard to glance at it before you take someone?

Alright. The free agents should be available for tomorrow. If anyone has a problem and is locked out from picking up players, let me know. If you can get a screen grab, that would be helpful as well.

We are going to let any team fill out their development squad with four rookies at that time as well.

For ease (and if it's even possible) I will see of the site will just allow me to expand the benches by 4 to just place developmental players on the roster and out of the FA pool.

it was 3 posts up buddy, so i got no idea about time difference at the moment

That really isn't really going to make things simple. Yes, all players will be accounted for on ESPN. However, if you add four spots for the practice squad, they're going to appear the same as all the regular spots. So someone is going to have to keep track of whether all the extra spots are only being used on eligible players and not as extra spots. In addition, there will be no way to tell when someone signs a player that happens to be eligible if they are signing him to the regular roster or the practice squad, since they're both lumped together.

So, that means you still have to have a thread to keep track of exactly who is and who isn't on the practice squad. Which is exactly what we have now. The current practice squad rosters are kept updated on the very first page of the thread. You'll only need to really bother checking this list if you happen to be picking up a FA that is practice squad eligible, which isn't likely to be very often. Is it really so hard to glance at it before you take someone?

100%

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.