NIGHTLY FOOTBALL FEDERATION - Season X!

Rock

NIGHTMARES GET THEIR MAN

ESPN.com news services

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/Victor_Cruz_2012_Shankbone.JPG/250px-Victor_Cruz_2012_Shankbone.JPG

Victor Cruz speaks to media moments after selection.

It seems like it was years ago that the Nightmares began searching for the perfect WR2. Of course, that's probably because it was. For two years, they waited on Jeremy Maclin to grow, stashing him away as their Developmental Player in the NFFs original program for developing such prospects. When it was time for him to show his stuff on the regular roster, Mike Williams was tabbed as his DP replacement.

Williams sat and watched, while Maclin failed to live up to his potential. Eventually, Williams got his own chance to shine and did nothing more with the opportunity than Maclin had. Two years ago, the Nightmares tried to develop yet another young receiver, this time naming Julio Jones their DP. This time, the proverbial lightning seemed to be captured firmly in the bottle and Jones impressed so many as a rookie that the following season he not only moved onto the regular roster, but became the team's number one receiver. Unfortunately, a revolving door of complimentary players once again failed to solidify the starting spot opposite Jones.

Enter Victor Cruz, who team owner Eric Rash told us was a player he was "praying would fall to us". An unusual amount of depth in high profile running backs early in the first round allowed Cruz to fall to the Nightmares at the number nine spot, where the team made him the second wide receiver taken in this year's draft.

"In a way", Rash went on to explain, "this has been a long time coming. Victor is actually a guy that caught our eye during the preseason back in 2010. Then, again in the 2011 preseason, he stood out to us and he was firmly on our radar entering the draft. However, things kind of went sideways on us, as they do sometimes, and the draft ended with us not being able to find room to select him. Keep in mind, at that point he was what we call a "flyer" and there's only so much room for those types of guys on a roster. Well, as we all know, he flew that year, all right. And after keeping an eye on him all that time, we failed to pull the trigger fast enough and someone else snapped him up. Now, we get to rectify that and, in doing so, have finally found that perfect partner in crime for Julio (Jones) that we've been searching for".

Three picks later, the Nightmares followed up the selection of Cruz by completing their starting receiving corps, drafting tight end Jason Witten in the second round. The tight end position has also been one that the team has struggled to solidify over the years. "I feel like, just two rounds into this draft, we already have perhaps our strongest trio of pass catchers ever", concluded Rash, "and now we'll have to see about adding some depth down the line".

How far down the line remains to be seen, of course, and may be hampered by the team being without a pick in either the fourth or sixth round.

I think it's pretty bad too lol, but someone (Lohr, I think) did it when it was first updated so I said 'what the hell' and kept it. I imagine Lohr did it so that it contrasted with the teams, since they were already bolded.

But yeah, on the phone it's EXTRA unreadable, I do know that.

Btw Dex, you're almost up.

Just to make sure everybody sees this...

Ex (and everyone), rookies drafted are automatically placed on your PS if you have open slots. Once the PS is full, any other rookies drafted are put on your regular roster. Once the draft is over, if you want to shuffle eligible players, you may. When that occurs, then you will need to announce it in this thread.

Also, if you drafted a rookie and he is listed on your PS and you plan to keep him there, you may go ahead and remove (waive) him from your ESPN roster, in order to make room for the rest of your draft picks (or free agents, post-draft).

The regular rosters and practice squad rosters on TOP of the draft thread are updated ASAP, so everything there should be pretty clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.