NIGHTLY FOOTBALL FEDERATION - Season X!

Rock

About which part? The part where where you could have added and started the Chargers defense if you had just dropped the Bears defense or the Eagles defense, or the part where you didn't say that your wish was to have started the Chargers defense until well after their game began?

In both cases you're trying to change the way things are to get what you want, whether it be by making a roster change that either the current league settings or ESPN fantasy football in general did not permit or by getting points for a lineup change that you did not indicate you wanted made until after the game involving the defense you wanted had already started.

The way this would normally work is we would address the league settings later so as to prevent this from happening in the future, not scramble to accomodate a team as if either they were affected negatively and cheated of points or roster moves were not allowed that all teams are entitled to.

I have a meeting this morning, but let me chime in with my quick and non-thought-through opinion.

I am very adverse to changing rules in the middle of the week. I am even more adverse to it after games have started for the week. While highly doubtful, if someone wanted to play the Browns defense due and could not based on the limitation, it would be unfair to change the rules afterwards.

I am just sitting back and reading this stuff. It will be VERY interesting on the outcome of it and most likely will need to be archived for the various fantasy sports leagues here on nightly. I hope the integrity of the sports leagues is not compromised................

You are wrong again. There is no mid week rule change as you and Irish have alluded to. The rule is what has been written in the Constitution with regards to roster limits, which we have never had. If ESPN's standard settings are not consistent with that, it is hardly a problem of the participants in the league.

The rule is what has been written in the Constitution with regards to roster limits, which we have never had. If ESPN's standard settings are not consistent with that, it is hardly a problem of the participants in the league.

I don't know if it defaults roster settings to standard every year or if it was just never changed in the first place. Either are totally plausible answers.

It has always been that way. I know in years past, I've had to drop a D/ST to pick up a new one if I had two. This is nothing new, it's not an oversight. It's the way our league is always set up. The constitution may take precedence over the ESPN site, but the two work together. Unless something is specifically spelled out in the constitution that contradicts something on ESPN, we've used ESPN to backup anything not covered in the constitution.

For a precedent, just look to the tie-breaker controversy of a few years ago. Some people were not happy with the tie-break system during the season. However, because nothing contrary was stated in the constitution, it was agreed that the current ESPN setting were to be used and it could be addressed in the offseason if people wanted to change it.

I can't help it if I'm the only one who knows the rules. :shrug:

For a precedent, just look to the tie-breaker controversy of a few years ago. Some people were not happy with the tie-break system during the season. However, because nothing contrary was stated in the constitution, it was agreed that the current ESPN setting were to be used and it could be addressed in the offseason if people wanted to change it.

Are you talking about the tie between you and Irish, which preceded the Constitution by 9 months?

I can throw "precedent" out there too, like the time Irish changed a rule on the fly regarding playoff seeding when none of us could figure out why ESPN had it set the way it was.

Unless something is specifically spelled out in the constitution that contradicts something on ESPN, we've used ESPN to backup anything not covered in the constitution

^ this

It would make sense that a "no limit per position" blanket statement/rule wouldn't apply by default to D/ST. It is different from any other position. It is not an individual player. You start the game off with points @ that position, while every other position has to start at zero and work its way up to their point total for the game. There is only one per team in the NFL, versus a much deeper pool in every other position on offense. If too many people in a deeper league were to horde @ the D/ST position, it would be vastly unfair - whether they planned to use them all at one point or another, or just keep them so somebody else couldn't utilize them (not somethiong we do in this league, but it does happen elsewhere).

At the end of the day, it's easy to rationalize why such a limit is put in place by ESPN.

Further, since the limit has always been there, it is understood to be agreed upon. No one has ever proposed changing it. It has never even been mentioned until now. Personally, if it was ever brought up, I would vote to keep the limit. It makes sense to me. However, the point is that it was not brought up previously and there was no vote to change it.

Because we have different opinions than yours? Bullshlt. I'm not going to say something I don't believe in, simply because it would benefit my friend. I don't agree with you or your take on things. It's not personal. Other people seem to disagree with you as well and I don't believe it's anything but honest opinions (including in Ex's case, especially since he would've won regardless & has nothing to gain by voicing his opinion).

If you not getting your way makes us ***holes, then so be it (though I have no idea what the ruling will be). You're not always as logical as you like to think, nor is your point of view the only valid or sensible one. The big difference between your example above about Irish changing things is that, as you said, "none of us could figure out why ESPN had it set the way it was.". It was something new that we talked about and agreed didn't make sense. This is something that has been set for years and everyone has always gone by it. If you wanted to change it, it should have been brought up before the season started.

No you're ****ing ***holes because you repeatedly manage to take all the fun out of a ****ing fantasy league that exists solely for that purpose. In a GAME between "friends," most of whom have known each other for at least six years now, that is patently insane. It's ****ing clear what I wanted to do and it's clear it was 100% within the rules. I say again, if we had commissioners who did their jobs THIS WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN AN ISSUE. Whether it ended in someone saying "no dice, gotta drop a defense" or "oh yeah you're right, we haven't in 6 years had position limits, let's make that change," it should have been over with between Friday evening and Sunday morning. I kept my mouth shut when Rock and I ran (a strong majority of) the draft despite the fact that neither of us were in charge. It was only briefly brought up during the scuffle over the rookie draft but this will NOT function well without active leadership for these very reasons. This is only the most recent example in the past year-plus where people have gotten on my ****ing case, accused me of gaming rules and in two cases outright cheating. Even before that people bitched and moaned up a ****ing storm over my damn worthless opinionated previews. I'm done messing with it. This isn't a fun group and that's a shame. It's a group filled with small, mean spirited, ungrateful asses. No one is exempt. Well except for the people in the league who don't even post I guess. I'm over it and moving on.

I remember this one time, just once, when I chose not to post and let my record do the talking for me until somebody asked why. I said that I felt under-projected. I didn't exactly bitch and moan. I simply had a different opinion.

Yeah, that was a long time ago.

I know I bitched and moaned and the projections given last year, but I was simply trying to have fun with it ya know? I felt like being a loud mouth brash bastard, since even though I lurk a lot I hardly post anywhere, or in great numbers. Didn't realize you took it personally, so my bad.

And I will say, I do agree with ya when it comes to this issue, it shouldn't have been after the games started for something to come of it. Like you said, had a comish popped in said, no dice drop a D, bring up in offseason, all of this could be avoided.

I get it though that we can get busy at times, but on the other hand I kind of feel like there is no excuse since during the draft I felt almost hounded to make picks at times even though normally I was quick to pick, and normally I was having to post while I was at work.

Even though he just lumped me in with the small, mean spirited, ungrateful asses, I think Lucas has a point. This is supposed to be a game among friends, and it's supposed to be fun. Now that he mentions it, it hasn't felt like either for at least a year now. I'd like to see a return to the fun that this is supposed to be.

As fun as the league is supposed to be, it seems people let the rules burn their ass a little too much at times. I'm guilty of it too, dating back to the confusion over practice squad rules. But it happens. Crystal clarity is ideal, but it is not always possible. I don't think anyone should be called a ****ing ***hole or a small, mean spirited, ungrateful ass just for disagreeing with somebody else over league rules.

And Dex...to be honest, despite being 0-3 until now I have been having a good time this season (for example). Periodically checking my phone, choosing a place to have dinner on Sunday nights where I can catch the game and follow whatever player(s) have a direct impact on the outcome of my game that day. I mean can you imagine last Sunday w/ GB @ Seattle? I had Rogers, Nelson, Crosby, and the GB D/ST. Having a good time w/ my family @ dinner watching the game AND having a good time periodically checking back on my phone to see how a play has effected my matchup. Trying to mix and match different lineups in the midst of having a losing season so far and a vastly unproven WR group. Waiting to see when Rodgers was going to actually become the QB we all know. It HAS been fun for me.

It has served as a timeout from all the wedding planing (12 days away!) that has had me so stressed w/ unprepared groomsmen, a forgetful pastor, and a job waiting tables in which it's the slowest time of the year and makes money a bit thin at a very inopportune time. I get to check on my roster and take my mind off real life problems for a few mins or so, and it's great.

But even here, things aren't always going to go 100% smooth. People are people, and not everyone is always going to agree all the damn time. People with league responsibilities are going to be busy from time to time, I've been plenty busy so I know damn well that sometimes life happens and it takes priority.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.