NIGHTLY FOOTBALL FEDERATION - Season X!

Rock

I'm just going with the flow here. I like the idea, and the particulars don't bother me either way.

Understandable, but when it comes to figuring out stuff like this, if there's one option that you like even a hair more than the other, an actual vote would really help to get everything ironed out. :shrug:

Fair enough.

B, because option A offers more concessions in a league in which 1) we're not the deepest league ever, and 2) 1st and 2nd round picks are considered by some to be too dispensible, in my opinion. I honestly wouldn't mind having three keepers and cutting the rookie keeper shelf life down by one year, to allow for more turnover and such so that every team has more of an opportunity to rise from the bottom of the standings. Another argument for another day.

On the same token, did we ever decide if rookie keepers would be allowed as tradable commodities so long as the original team follows the guidelines to retain their rookie keeper rights? If we did, I missed it. Life has been ridiculously busy and I know I've missed a few details lately.

Ex, if you're concerned about depth and favoring the lesser teams, I'm not sure why you'd prefer B. Choice A expands the talent pool for the supplemental draft and something you may not all be aware of is that that draft is slightly different than the regular draft. The "worst-to-first" order that is used in the 1st round of the NFF draft is used in every round of the supplemental draft. Also, these picks cannot be traded (players can be traded after they're drafted, but not the picks themselves). So, the available player pool is bigger and the lesser teams will have first crack at them.

These two items were put in place for the express purpose of favoring the lower teams from the previous year.

I don't think rookies eligible for the developmental keeper draft should be available in the primary draft. it should be an entirely seperate draft.

Allowing rookies to be drafted in the primary draft that can then be moved to the practice squad, only benefits stronger teams that are able to afford to pick a rookie in an earlier round.

Say for example that Team Carr has its sights on Andrew Luck in the draft, and with an unusual number of early draft picks, he is able to draft Luck in the 6th round because he was able to solidify the roster while other teams are still trying to build one. So now TC has a solid roster and the most valuable rookie that he can sit on for a few years without consequence, while weaker teams trying to rebuild are still filling out their current rosters and can't afford to take a developmental rookie in that high of a round. Seems to me like the rich getting richer.

Holy ****. Thats always been the case guys. We've had rookies taken in every round from 1 to 13, by strong and weak teams.

I'd argue that the opposite is also true. More developmental keepers benefits weamer teams. They are able to stockpile and build for the future while not having to sacrifice the present.

Holy ****. Thats always been the case guys. We've had rookies taken in every round from 1 to 13, by strong and weak teams.

Yeah, but there's never been an incentive before to draft rookies before the "rookie draft" because we never had one before.

The supplemental rookie draft was added to accommodate people who didn't want to spend regular draft picks on guys they might or might not play. The main means of selecting (impact) rookies is still going to come through the NFF Draft. The question of "how early do I take him?" has always and contines to be a huge question when it comes to rookies.

The incentive to take guys before the supplemental rookie draft is to do all you can to ensure you get your guy. Most people will probably have 1 guy they pick in the.main draft, maybe two. The supplemental draft is "filler." By the time the proposal has been in place for a couple years I doubt we'll have even a full round in the supplemental draft to conduct.

A scene from the movie "Big."

]PAUL

[/b]These tests were conducted over a six month period using a double-blind

format of eight over-lapping demographic groups. Every region of the

country was sampled, the focus testing showed a solid base in the 9 to

11-year old bracket--with a possible carry-over into the 12-year olds.

When you consider that Nobots and Transformers pull over 37 percent

market share, and that we are targeting the same area, I think that we

should see one quarter of that and that is one fifth of the total

revenue from all of last year. Any questions? Yes? Yes?

JOSH

I don't get it.

PAUL

What exactly don't you get?

JOSH

It turns from a building into a robot, right?

PAUL

Precisely.

JOSH

Well, what's fun about that?

PAUL

Well, if you had read your industry breakdown, you would see that our

success in the action figure area has climbed from 27 percent to 45

percent in the last two years. There, that might help.

JOSH

Oh.

PAUL

Yes?

JOSH

I still don't get it.

PAUL

WHAT DON'T YOU GET?!

If you have a question, by all means, ask. But try to be specific, try to include an example. That will better help me, Lohr, and everyone else understand A.) what you're asking and B.) How to answer that question.

Team Carr does not have a bunch of high draft picks because they were a top team last year. Garrison actually had a down year last season, going 5-8. The reason he has those picks is because he made smart trades. Both drafts are set up to favor the worse teams from last year. As I pointed out, the supplemental draft even more so. So, there's nothing to complain about there. If you want to complain about good teams having a bunch of high picks, then complain to the people that traded them the picks. It's not the system's fault.

Like Lucas said, nothing major has changed. Ever since we started the Developmental Player system, you could draft a rookie and stash him until later. Yes, you can keep more guys now, but unless someone is willing to use four of their picks in the regular draft, it's not like they can hoard players. And even if they tried, the other owners pick from the same players and can beat them to it. And even if they actually managed to snag four good rookies and put them on their practice squad, that still means that they'll need to fill out four spots in their regular roster with undrafted free agents. I highly doubt someone will be both willing and able to pull this off, bit if they do, they're certainly paying a price.

And like Brad said, it's been voted on. We had one minor little detail we needed opinions on, but it's too late to try and overhaul anything. If there is something that you really want changed, then you just need to try and gather support for it next offseason. There's a thread devoted purely to those types of discussions. :shrug:

In his defense, he did give up a draft pick to get Matt Stafford last season. Albeit a 3rd rounder, but lower picks would be more meaningful if people didn't constantly trade their high picks.

No matter what the team, I am opposed to so many early picks being gathered because (as skiff said) one team gets three of the best available players before some teams even get their first pick selected. Its nothing personal at all, its just a forehead-slapping moment when people deal their early picks.

Stafford for a 3rd rounder. That was reasonable. You guys should consider doing the same, IMO - offer lower round picks instead. You'll notice a change in the makeup of your team when you get to pick better players early with the rest of us.

Alright, let's try to focus on the task at hand. Unless Ex has read my above post and changed his mind, the issue on who should be included in the practice squad (through the supplemental draft & free agency) stands at 2-5, in favor of Choice B.

If we can get the rest of the votes in before the draft starts, that would be swell.

Stafford for a future 3rd (7th) was a steal, even if I didn't keep him. If I had any luck other than bad luck last year it would have saved my season. I have extra picks this year because despite the down year I still had a lot of tradeable assets.

1st round picks are overrated by some people. Usually due to a couple questionable keeper decisions (or if someone with a loaded roster didn't bother to try to trade their extra assets) there are 3, maybe 4 picks that have an incredible value in round 1. By and large, 1st round picks are exactly what they are: 5th round picks. This year we kept 48 players and 9 developmental keepers this year. Our first round is a 5th round.

I vote a) but if they are eligible to be on the rookie roster then allow it. Or am i misunderstanding the 3ones year thing? Is it a players 2nd(3rd) season they HAVE to be on the active roster? As in the csn be on the rookie roster for thier rookie year, the next year and the next?

Either way i vote a.

Abd i didn't check my pm since i never got a notification of any kind saying i had a message haha.

from the proposal:

Once selected, players will be placed on the “Practice Squad” to be kept on Nightly.net.

Players will be able to kept going into their 3rd season, as it is under the current developmental keeper system.

A player is eligible for the practice squad through their third season.

Remember, Ash, it's not a "rookie roster". This goes beyond rookies, as the original Developmental Player system was meant to do. It's a Practice Squad for young players (3rd year or less). That's why I really think it shouldn't just be a "rookie draft" or that free agency should only apply to rookies. It's not just a rookie squad.

heels_logo_2012.jpg

Thank you everyone for coming to the 2012 Heels Annual Press conference. Normally this address is held before the draft, but we were waiting on a few things to unfold and wanted to do so after we made our first pick.

As reported earlier today, Rock's Heels has been renamed to The Heels. As much as this was a marketing decision it was also personal. Over the past year, I've come to realize that being an NFF owner isn't about my vanity. It isn't about the money or the fame or the publicity.... it's about the people. The fans. It's about that middle aged man taking his 2 young boys and his only daughter to the ball park to cheer on their sports idols and cry for victory. It's about a community rallying behind a common goal, taking pride in it's team and accepting nothing less then absolute victory. It's all about US.

Over the course of the off-season, we decided to go back to the drawing board and find out what we really have in this team and what we need to duplicate 2009's success. We already have a great keeper corp of RB's and WR's, but we needed real leadership on the field. Through relentless negotiation, lots of determination and a pinch of lucky salt, we were able to acquire the biggest free-agent EVER in Peyton Manning. We've given him the reigns to our entire offense and he's been great in camp. Two great running backs to hand the ball off to, three spectacular receivers to toss to... but we needed that speedy, confident threat over the middle to make us complete. So earlier today, we drafted 2009's NFF Champion Tight End Vernon Davis! We're so pleased to have him lace up as a Heel and know he'll become a great target for Manning.

So as our new tagline says... we are ALL IN. I've stepped down as NFF commissioner,...I've sold my NBF team... I've released my controlling ownership of 3 other leagues I have been involved with for years... and now I've taken my name off the lunch pails and t-shirts. The Heels are ALL IN this year. Enjoy the show, folks.

heels_12.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.