NIGHTLY FOOTBALL FEDERATION - Season X!

Rock

Nightly Football Federation Press Release

NFF_logo_main.jpg

London -- (AP) -- In accordance with the NFF Constitution the proposal for the expanded Developmental Keeper System has passed with 75% approval. There were 8 yes votes, 0 no votes, and one abstention. The proposal takes into effect immediately. Beginning with the 2012 season, each team will have a 4 player practice squad to be kept on this message board. The eligibility of players remains the same as the previous rookie keeper system. Any questions may be directed to the league office.

I thought it was a separate draft? I'm confused.

That was the most confusing/difficult to word part of the proposal:

When an owner selects a rookie in the NFF Draft they will remain on their live roster. If the owner wishes to 'demote' the rookie to the Practice Squad between the NFF Draft and the Rookie Supplemental Draft they may do so. (As this may be confusing, the point is so that you still only have 17 total players at the end of the NFF draft including new rookies, past DPs, keepers, and draftees).

The way it's written when you select a rookie he goes on your roster. Basically by the end of the draft you should have 4 keepers + 13 selections. In between the NFF Draft and Supplemental Rookie Draft you may demote rookies as needed, once the rosters unlock you may fill out your roster as needed.

What's the point of shuffling around roster positions, and picking up Free Agents, when you could just draft all your active players in the primary draft and pick your developmental roster from a pool of developmental players in a separate rookie draft?

Well, the practice squad can be used in a couple different ways. In the example above that Rock used, it would most likely be a rookie that you think is going to be really good - just not this year. Granted, you probably wouldn't take such a player in the third round, but that's also part of the strategy of the draft. How soon do you go after one of those guys? How soon is someone else? You never know!

After the regular draft, if you still have spots available on the practice squad, then you can fill it out in the supplemental draft. These then would obviously be deeper picks, sleepers, guys you have a gut feeling about, or for some of you, pulling out the dart board. ;)

OWNER OPINIONS NEEDED - PLEASE!!!

When Lucas and I were working out the nuts & bolts of this system, there was one point we could never quite agree on - so before we implement the new system, it would be a good idea to see how the rest of the league feels.

To recap, for the practice squad (i.e. "developmental players") an eligible player is one that has played in the NFL no more than 3 seasons and has never appeared in a NFF game at any point. However, the debate concerns just whether or not the player actually has to be a rookie when he "enters the system". So to each of you, do you think that...

A) Second year players should also be available to add to the practice squad through the drafts and free agency, so long as they have never played in a NFF game. After all, such players can be held over from their rookie season by a team and then traded in their second season and still maintain their eligibility. Allowing second year players will also expand the developmental pool in the drafts and free agency.

B) Only rookies should be available in the drafts and free agency when it comes to the practice squad. It should be a hard and fast deadline and if you miss the boat, then you miss it!

Please leave a clear vote in your reply.

Does the primary draft have a finite number of rounds or does it continue till all teams have filled their entire roster?

13 rounds, because in theory 4 keepers + 13 draftees = roster of 17. If you fill your roster up before you hit 13 selections your last selections are just voided and not used.

I'm just going with the flow here. I like the idea, and the particulars don't bother me either way.

Understandable, but when it comes to figuring out stuff like this, if there's one option that you like even a hair more than the other, an actual vote would really help to get everything ironed out. :shrug:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.