Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Season VI NFF Issues/Discussion Topics

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,776 posts
Please use this thread to bring up NFF issues, discussions, feedback, suggestions and other league matters.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Recap for those that may have missed it in the NFF thread...

I think it'd be a good idea to try and have an actual "owners meeting" immediately after the season to address (or at least start to address) the various problems, ideas, and system tweaks that arise or are proposed. If there are items that need further exploration (i.e. glitches that everyone agree need to be fixed, but need actual solutions developed), we can schedule another meeting later in the offseason specifically for that (which should receive better participation from the owners, since everyone will know about it in advance).

As things stand, we always have issues or ideas that get some attention or discussion around the league, then are put to the side until later. Having a devoted thread like this is great, because we can keep track of those things. However, we seem to lose momentum on them during the long offseason. By the time people start straggling in again in the summer, the ideas aren't as fresh, the urgency is a little less, and people are short on time and focus. If we get to it right away, we can hopefully get a bit more efficient and productive. And we'll have plenty of time to take care of anything that needs more than a simple vote.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• 14,874 posts
Before I forget, We need to do something about bench sizes.

I'd also like to revisit the minor league/farm system idea. My initial thought would be a 4 round rookie only draft following the actual draft.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,260 posts
I think we should just increase the number of developmental keepers. Add a bench spot, have the ability to carry 2 or 3 developmental keepers.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
What I'm getting at is that we don't need bench spots for the developmental keepers, since if a team is not utilizing a developmental keeper, that extra bench spot just goes to another FA.

Our bench spots are too many already IMO. If we could set a developmental keeper system separate from the rosters, we can actually eliminate these extra roster spots, and expand the developmental keepers to 2-4 per draft class. I would like to continue with the three season rule, and if you "promote" a developmental player, you have to cut a player in your active roster.

If we limit developmental players to three per draft class, that means your developmental roster could never be more than nine in any given season.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,260 posts
Yeah, the past couple rounds I've struggled to sell myself on just about anybody. I was online when I came up 2 picks ago and it took me 5 hours to pick because I just didn't care lol.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
Hence contracting the rosters... (see issues thread for ideas)

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Meh, then it can become a battle of free agency and waivers, which means nothing without a waiver budget.

I'd rather luck into getting a player who turns out good by selecting them than by being the one in order to grab them from FA.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
I'm actually in agreement with DI. Reduce the roster by 2 or 3 spots. Having a bench bigger than the starting roster leads to a larger number of reaches late in the draft. I don't see it turning into a battle of grabbing the hot free agent, as one would still be able to carry almost a full roster of backups. And regardless it will always be a battle of grabbing the hot free agent either way due to someone outperforming projections, or someone going down to an injury. Plus I like the idea of a developmental draft after the draft. It would be like the supplemental draft, add some strategy to the draft, do you take this rookie in the draft due to his upside, or hope he falls into the developmental draft? I just think an added thing if this was to happen would be the idea of any rookie taken in the regular draft, would not be able to be a developmental player later on (so in order to keep them, it would count against your keepers).

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,260 posts
If we're going to have a farm system, why exclude college players from it.

The extra draft of rookies, when rookies are eligible to be taken in the actual draft is a totally meh idea.

Also I couldn't disagree more about having too many bench spots.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,260 posts

Meh, then it can become a battle of free agency and waivers, which means nothing without a waiver budget.

I'd rather luck into getting a player who turns out good by selecting them than by being the one in order to grab them from FA.

x1,000

Contracting the rosters is an awful idea.

The issue this late in the draft is that we're ridiculously ahead of schedule and have had one week of preseason, whereas in the past we're usually at least two weeks worth of games into the preseason so you have a bit better of an idea on sleepers and low level guys who are an "injury away" and such.

That's part of the problem with starting a draft on August 1st, but because of the way we do it, starting it any later would be a total crapshoot.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I've never hated anything as much as I hate the idea of contracting rosters. We need that depth to make game day decisions fun rather than a fait accompli.

groove terminator

groove terminator

There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know

• Members
  • 2,915 posts
well i know i dont know as much about the college system as you guys as coverage wise down here is often nil until bowl season
i'm all for a development system but i know i would be the most limited in terms of knowledge as everyone else as i already rely on stats as my main source of working out who would be good to draft

but hey i guess i am in the minority so really ill just go with what you guys think and adjust to whatever system you guys think will be best

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
We wouldn't draft college Players because they are not in the NFL.

Deeper benches take a good amount of skill out of the game (especially considering our starting rosters). Ash nailed my thoughts so I won't repeat them here.

Another thought is deep benches promote owner apathy, and takes away the hard decisions of picking up and cutting players.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,260 posts
Maybe if you keep a steady stream of ****ty players on your team, that would make those decisions easier ;)

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Yeah...accountng for bye weeks and potential injuries, we could settle for things as they are for now. Not ruling out revisions later, but for now I think we are good.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Well even though it wont matter until next season I shall throw out a compromise. This is something we did in a league I used to be in.

During the draft after you had a full starting roster plus 3 backups you could pass on drafting. Once you passed on a pick your draft ended (baring trades). You then got the head of the class status on free agents, meaning for instance, if it was in effect and I passed on round 13, and was the only one to pass all draft, I got first pick on any free agent. It allowed someone from picking randomly from a hat of names but kept them in it for awhile (2 years in a row a guy tried to pass his draft after the min, it wasn't until week 5 it paid off since all the sleepers we taken).

Just a thought to mull over for a season. There's that, reduce rosters, or keep same, or of course expand!

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
The other part of why the draft seems "sucky" this year is, since this was a year of expansion, the talent pool is shallower than we're used to. Combine that with what Lucas was saying about being ahead of schedule, and we are digging deeper than ever - with less information. So, it's bound to feel different than usual.

And I couldn't agree more that it's much better (more fair, more fun) to have the luxury to take a flier or two in the draft, rather than the waiver order determining everything. (Not to mention the need for those spots created by bye weeks, injuries, and developmental players).

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
At the moment, I'm not sure I see any need for change at all. I have to wonder when I hear talk about the current system lacking strategy or causing this huge surplus of useless players that lead to apathy. Maybe some of you are throwing darts at the draft board, but I can guarentee that are other owners that - even at this point in the draft - are still drafting based on homework and gut feelings. Personally, I still have more guys I'd like to draft than I have roster spots and my seasons are still filled with tough decisions. :shrug:
  • Exodus, Lucas1138 and UK Legend Killa +1 this

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,260 posts
+1

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

...I can guarentee that are other owners that - even at this point in the draft - are still drafting based on homework and gut feelings.

I'm about to prove that...

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,776 posts
God forbid owners use late round picks for handcuffs.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
Wouldn't want to take binky from the bab, would we....

The point of the draft is not to get handcuffs. That should be a decision to make regardless of the number of rounds or roster spots.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I certainly never expected to see myself ask this, but is it possible next year to make that RB/WR slot a true flex position and have it be RB/WR/TE? With the way that the TE position has changed in recent years, it's almost as possible for a team to have two good plays available in a given week as none. While the position remains a minimal factor for some teams, a team like Ryan's could be very effective going two TEs every now and then. I would even consider it myself this week, if it were an option.

With the talent spread a little thinner now after expansion, it might be nice to have an additional option. Even if it's not used that often, it wouldn't hurt anything to have it available. And real NFL teams certainly use the formation enough to make it a "realistic" addition to our league.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,260 posts
I would prefer we just added a roster spot and made it RB/WR/TE