Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Terra Nova

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,209 posts
http://www.fox.com/terranova/

OK, so who is down with this upcoming show? Right now, I can't say that I am.

To me, sure the FX look pretty good;at least Jurassic Park quality (it better be with Stephen Spielberg being involved), but it looks real derivative.

Long story short, in 150 years, the Earth is dying and people need a new home. Where, you may ask? Why 80 million years in the past! Seems logical to me. :rolleyes:

It looks like 1 part Jurassic Park (including the vehicles and some sets), 1 part Ray Bradbury's A Delicate Sound of Thunder, and 1 part Land of the Lost, with a twist of Stargate SG1\Atlantis. The cast? Basically, they look like the rejects from the cast of Lost.

I guess what bothers me the most is who else is involved, besides Speilberg: Brannon Braga and René Echevarria. Aside from their reputation for watering down the Star Trek Franchise (which they did, but in all fairness, I think fans have been overly harsh on them), you would think with all the time traveling that went on in TNG, Voyager, DS9, and Enterprise (od this series also shares the title of the "true" finale of Enterprise), those two would be acquainted with the idea of the Butterfly Effect. I mean, every other major franchise (yes, even Spielberg's Back to the Future) dealt with unintended consequences of changing something in the past, when you time travel. Sci fi innately requires suspension of disbelief, but it has rules it must follow. This is why I can't really get excited about Terra Nova: it violates a basic concept of time travel that has been followed by so many sci fi franchises. One would think that establishing a colony of humans during the cretaceous period, SOMETHING is bound to be changed!

So, what do you think?

Edited by El Chalupacabra, 03 July 2011 - 01:21 PM.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• 20,212 posts

you would think with all the time traveling that went on in TNG, Voyager, DS9, and Enterprise (od this series also shares the title of the "true" finale of Enterprise), those two would be acquainted with the idea of the Butterfly Effect. I mean, every other major franchise (yes, even Spielberg's Back to the Future) dealt with unintended consequences of changing something in the past, when you time travel. Sci fi innately requires suspension of disbelief, but it has rules it must follow. This is why I can't really get excited about Terra Nova: it violates a basic concept of time travel that has been followed by so many sci fi franchises. One would think that establishing a colony of humans during the cretaceous period, SOMETHING is bound to be changed!

This.

I think it looks awful for this very reason.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• Members
  • 10,500 posts
spielberg never made back to the future

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 28,520 posts
He exec-produced, if I recall correctly.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,209 posts

He exec-produced, if I recall correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future

yes.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I forget, when does this premiere? I'm interested.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,209 posts
September 26 2011, I believe.

Abraham Gatling Hands

Abraham Gatling Hands

• Members
  • 105 posts
i agree the whole time travel deal is a bit lame imo since you have the whole butterfly effect, but then again would you REALLY have it from that period? between the ice ages and metors nearly everything from that period went extinct and was virtually unknown until like 1842? so that means that the large bulk of human existance/evolution goes unchanged by the time travelers and their fossils are found by man in a time when they can start doing something different to save the planet. or maybe the idea by the time travelers is to actually jump start human existance on Earth and give man a 65million year headstart to deal with the crap that happens in their time.

If this show basically ends up being a "this all happened because of mans polution, specifically AMERICAS polution!!!111!1!" then I wont watch. Otherwise, I think it's worth giving it a shot.
PS. I bet aliens show up at some point... lasers and dinos on TV were just meant to be!

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
i guess they couldn't choose the specific time to go back to...

Spoiler

pass.

Iceman

Iceman

omit myself

• Members
  • 5,328 posts

http://www.fox.com/terranova/

OK, so who is down with this upcoming show? Right now, I can't say that I am.

To me, sure the FX look pretty good;at least Jurassic Park quality (it better be with Stephen Spielberg being involved), but it looks real derivative.

Long story short, in 150 years, the Earth is dying and people need a new home. Where, you may ask? Why 80 million years in the past! Seems logical to me. :rolleyes:

You know what's funny is Star Trek (TOS) already told this story with the episode All Our Yesterdays. In the episode the Enterprise crew encounters a planet where all the inhabitants have time traveled to the past because their sun is about to die out. I wonder if that's where they got the idea for this new series. :hmm:

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,724 posts
Ten minutes to showtime!

Sheep Murderer

Sheep Murderer

Sure I'm a boy?

• Members
  • 6,986 posts
So, how was it? I almost, maybe, kinda thought about watching it.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,724 posts
First ten minutes was Wall-E by way of low-budget Blade Runner knockoff, dreary and deathly and ho-hum. The rest of it was Jurassatar. The family was cute but not really endearing yet. Their idle chatter was perfunctory and blah. Stephen Lang just barely wins the show, less gruff than that one huge movie role of his, but still a tough guy you want to follow. It was also nice to see Simone from Pushing Daisies working again, albeit without her accent or an obedience clicker.

The dumb teenagers were being dumb and earned no interest from me. They start out, "Dude! We totally figured out how to make our own drinks, steal a car, and sneak our after curfew!" but inevitably transition to "Sure, we're surrounded by killer dinosaurs in the dead of night, but we're young and we have guns! We can totally take them!" and then there are unhappy predictable consequences that could've been avoided if only the government had barred dumb teens from time travel. If their presence persists, I'll be snoozing through their scenes.

Special effects were great for TV, just-okay for movies, nothing revolutionary. The set decoration was a disconcerting hybrid of Minority Report and Gilligan's Island. The cheap military cars with fall-apart armor were kinda cool in their realistic poor safety rating.

The few unexplained bits and dangling subplots they tossed in for good measure (rock drawings, a lost son, a rebel alliance, questionable government motives) kept it from being 100% by-the-numbers, and were tantalizing enough that I wouldn't mind seeing more, but I'm not all WHOA yet.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 19,360 posts

Sci fi innately requires suspension of disbelief, but it has rules it must follow. This is why I can't really get excited about Terra Nova: it violates a basic concept of time travel that has been followed by so many sci fi franchises. One would think that establishing a colony of humans during the cretaceous period, SOMETHING is bound to be changed!

They addressed this simply and effectively, I thought. It will probably be further addressed through the crazy son.

Show itself was pretty cheesy. Entertaining, with moderately appealing characters. Won't stick around too much longer unless it gets a little more something from the wizard, be it brains, a heart, or the courage to be truly different. Not holding my breath for a smashing improvement, but I don't feel like I wasted two hours, either.

:eek:

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,209 posts
Well I never got excited enough about this series and I forgot it was on yesterday.

Sounds like it was mediocre and in some ways, basically as much of a let down as Falling Skies, except it has dinosaurs.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 19,360 posts
Oh, it was a lot better than mediocre. What this show suffers from is hype and built-in production advantages. As in, if this was produced by a small studio on the Sci-Fi Channel before it went Syfy, it'd be highly impressive.

But here, there are clearly a lot of talented people and a lot of dollars involved, so when it doesn't measure up to greatness, it is judged a lot more harshly. It's definitely worth watching and giving a chance to; they have a lot to work with here, and could make a really neat show out of it.

Of course, it could just as easily end up being Melrose Place with dinosaurs, so we'll have to wait and see...

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,209 posts
Well I am sure they will repeat the pilot soon. Or hulu it. Maybe I will check it out.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,724 posts
The pilot is up on the official site right now.

If I'm reading correctly, future episodes won't be posted till 8 days after airdate unless you have a Dish Network account. I just found it on Comcast/Xfinity/whatever On Demand, too.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Even if you miss the live airings, you can now find this stellar documentary about Man's struggles with over population and time travel reairing in instant-syndication on The National Geographic Channel. 4 Serious.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,209 posts

Sci fi innately requires suspension of disbelief, but it has rules it must follow. This is why I can't really get excited about Terra Nova: it violates a basic concept of time travel that has been followed by so many sci fi franchises. One would think that establishing a colony of humans during the cretaceous period, SOMETHING is bound to be changed!

They addressed this simply and effectively, I thought. It will probably be further addressed through the crazy son.

Show itself was pretty cheesy. Entertaining, with moderately appealing characters. Won't stick around too much longer unless it gets a little more something from the wizard, be it brains, a heart, or the courage to be truly different. Not holding my breath for a smashing improvement, but I don't feel like I wasted two hours, either.

Oh, it was a lot better than mediocre. What this show suffers from is hype and built-in production advantages. As in, if this was produced by a small studio on the Sci-Fi Channel before it went Syfy, it'd be highly impressive.

But here, there are clearly a lot of talented people and a lot of dollars involved, so when it doesn't measure up to greatness, it is judged a lot more harshly. It's definitely worth watching and giving a chance to; they have a lot to work with here, and could make a really neat show out of it.

Of course, it could just as easily end up being Melrose Place with dinosaurs, so we'll have to wait and see...

OK, I just saw it, and yeah, it wasn't that bad at all. They do address the butterfly effect issue, so that is good to see. I have to reverse my stance on this show, and also say it is far more entertaining than Falling Skies (maybe because I went into it with low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised). If they minimize the annoying teen angst "Dad VS son" and "kid disobeying parents and almost getting eaten by dinosaurs" subplots as much as they can, I will be back to see this show.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 19,360 posts
Once again found myself enjoying the show, despite its massive levels of silliness -- and I'm even looking forward to the lecherous scientist/wife dynamic!

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,565 posts
I liked it again tonight. Very Birds like. And the CGI again isn't too bad. On the close up shots, particularly of it hopping after the little girl, it was noticeable but overall it was great for TV.

I'm liking that the show isn't taking itself super seriously also. While it's still fairly serious, the writers seem to know the premise is pretty out there and aren't afraid to take little jabs at themselves.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 19,360 posts
Well, two outta three ain't too bad, I guess. It's a shame, because this coulda been an awesome episode, but such poor execution... and some of that Taylor dialogue was just painful.

EDIT:

OK, I judged too quickly. The last 15 minutes managed to save it from complete suckery... punching out Malcolm is always a good move, and maniacal laughing while driving the ATV through a dino's legs is sooooo badass.

Edited by Pong Messiah, 10 October 2011 - 09:57 PM.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,923 posts
I thought it was a decent episode, the only thing is, wouldn't the virus still spread? And if so, wouldn't the dinos themselves be affected? That was my only gripe with the episode, I doubt they'd administer the vacine to the dinos as well.

Hopefully next weeks is better.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,724 posts
I'm not sure anyone cares if the dinos regress to infancy and become catatonic non-threats.

All teenage subplots kept losing my attention (except for one bit of dialogue that foreshadowed a possible betrayal at some future point), but this was the first time I enjoyed Mr. and Mrs. Shannon as a couple. I despise love triangles, but I like how Malcolm's awkward presence keeps forcing them out of their shells in good ways.

Taylor's PTSD episode was written kinda hammy, but Lang's performance was so loony and over-the-edge that I didn't mind.