Outlander

Cashmere

Has anyone else read the book Outlander by Diana Gabaldon?

A friend recommended it to me, describing it as a sort of historical fiction book involving time travel. After reading it, I checked the author's website and she describes it like this:

Frankly, I’ve never been able to describe this book in twenty-five words or less, and neither has anyone else in the twenty years since it was first published. I’ve seen it (and the rest of the series) sold–with evident success–as Literature, Fiction, Historical Fiction, Historical NON-fiction (really. Well, they are very accurate), Science Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Military History (no, honest), Gay and Lesbian Fiction, and…Horror.

It's extremely hard to explain what type of book it is, but it's easy to describe what I liked about it. It's a very engaging story with memorable characters. I really didn't think I'd like it based on my friend's description, but sure enough, I read the whole thing cover to cover in two days, and enjoyed it very much.

It's become a pretty epic series, so I think I'll have plenty of reading to do for the foreseeable future.

If you're looking for a fun read, I highly recommend it.

The library of Cashmere does not play by your silly rules, Icy.

And I think this might be one of the shorter books in the series, UKLK. I'm excited to start the next one, but I'm taking a break so I don't get burnt out on them right away.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I gave in and started book two. At first I had trouble figuring out which one was the second book. I got it on Kindle and started reading, but it didn't seem to be a continuation of book one. Now that I'm halfway done with it, I can attest that Dragonfly in Amber is, in fact, the second book, and it's just as enthralling as the first book.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I did. My thoughts are in the Impreza. It was okay... but as someone who reads a boatload of historical fiction and fish-out-of-water fantasy, I wasn't quite as taken with it. I thought the choices the author made were pretty safe.

However, I finished it, so that tells you something. If you look at my Impreza list, it's wildly different from what I say in the Reading Now thread. I've been abandoning a lot of books lately, for purely superficial reasons.

• 2 years later...

I'm all caught up on this series except for the most recent one that came out this month. I downloaded it for my Kindle, but I'm saving it for a bit since I just read the last one. As always seems to be the case, I'm getting less interested as I go along in the series, but I still like them well enough.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.