Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[UPDATE: PSN is back!] Teh HAXORS! PSN go down.

Sony PSN Hacked Anonymous PS3

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
That guy is a nozzle.

Darth_Binks

Darth_Binks

5 Stars

• Members
  • 4,867 posts
On the plus side, it looks like the trophies and friends lists are fine. Yeah.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

Does the PSN have cards like XBL? If this ever happened on XBL I wouldn't have any information stolen as I have never put any in.

qft

I loved my days on PSN w/ my PS2, but thanks to Halo I have been converted. I totally love the option of never having to share my personal information in order to play online.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,502 posts
except pns has cards the same way xbl does as well. you dont have to have card details stored. but at the same time, you trust the company to keep them safe

they had my details. if they get used it's easy to trace back so no permenant harm will be done. not worth worrying about like some folk are

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I had moved since I last updated on my info. So it was inaccurate anyway and my financial institutions are aware of my present status. Besides I had my basic profile information on Facebook etc. It's out there technically anyway. That and my credit score is essentially non-existent anyway, being that I haven't worked or anything in a decade. So my risk should be minimal.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,013 posts
I don't own a PS3. I own a 360, but I'm not a fanboy so while there's some bias caused by lack of familiarity, it isn't the active bias that many seem to have. Having said that, the big problem I have as a potential PS3 owner is that Sony really was pretty non-responsive for several days. I understand the reason, they wanted to be sure before they did anything. But they came across looking like they were keeping things too hidden.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Some of that is forgivable when understanding the timeline of events:

Sony detects an intrusion. Immediately shuts down PSN. They initiate an investigation, then contact an outside security firm for assisstance. A couple days into the investigation it became clear what happened and what was targeted. Law Enforcement is advised and the press/consumers then informed.

So see, Sony didn't know what to explain for a couple days. Then they probably needed legal/law enforcement advice as to what to reveal.

I still wish things had come out sooner, but rationally I can understand the trickling out of info when I look at Sony's explained timeline of events.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,013 posts
Yeah, but most companies that deal with stuff like this are better prepared to deal with the public.

I still think that it's more likely that Godzilla is involved. The whole earthquake thing was a lie.
  • The Human Torch and Otanku +1 this

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
LOL That was great. I didn't see it coming.

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
Torch, your timeline is generous. It was a week before Sony emailed their customers and even then they didn't know whether cc details had been taken. They should have been more upfront with their customers from the start - tweeting vague outages doesn't count.

Gamevet

Gamevet

• 4,378 posts

It's irritating to us, but can you imagine the bricks that Sony Suits are ****ing?! This is five days offline now. Imagine the money they are losing. Not to mention the hits to their reputation.

If they were hacked, those hackers better be ex-MI6 or some other awesome impossible mission force because depending on the location of the servers they won't just have the FBI on them but it could fall under Interpol (if I understand the legalese correctly).

I'd guess that SOCOM 4 sales are going to tank for the first couple of weeks. It would be wise of Sony, to push the launch back a couple of weeks.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
http://blog.us.plays...able-this-week/

Sony's putting PSN online next week, it'll be a gradual roll out by region.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
Guess I'll be keeping myself busy with the single player aspect of Portal 2 a while longer.

Gog

Gog

Science over myths

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
Word is now that it was probably Anonymous who hacked Sony. Just like when Bin Laden denied the 9-11 attacks at first & then took credit. I hope this ends with the members of Anonymous getting shot in the head too.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Figuratively speaking hopefully. :)

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
We'll shoot them in the heads online.

As soon as it's back up, of course.
  • The Human Torch +1 this

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
Sony did confirm it was them, they posted that officially. The fact that the FBI and likely Interpol is involved, I don't doubt that the hackers who comprise the group Anonymous are going down hard. That would be, IMO, the first major victory against the hacking community. That's what happens when you mess with a multi billion dollar giant.

As far as the PSN, I hope it's up soon, but more importantly, I like that I get 1 year free of identity theft protection on my credit card, plus a month free subscription to playstation plus offers.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,502 posts
http://www.reviewson...e-back-program/

more free stuff!!

expect it to be along the lines of uncharted, LBP etc i would imagine

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I feel bad. For a moment when I read "will give away two free titles per account" I thought, "Wow! Four free games!" See because I have a full account plus my wife has one registered too.

Maybe FreeRealms will be a freebie. My kids like it and I can dig more of it than I thought I would. Getting a lifetime ($30 value) membership for free would be cool.

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
I don't really care about getting freebiews as i'm a PS+ subscriber and that's a benefit I already get.

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
ya but you don't get free games as a subscriber, just discounts, so it's still freebie. I think for plus subscribers you still get something extra, like free music downloads or something...

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts

ya but you don't get free games as a subscriber, just discounts, so it's still freebie. I think for plus subscribers you still get something extra, like free music downloads or something...

Nope, as well as discounts you get free games every month on PS+

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,502 posts
hope noone's holding their breath...
31st may before it's due back

http://uk.gamespot.c...cker;headline;1

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts

I don't really care about getting freebiews as i'm a PS+ subscriber and that's a benefit I already get.

don't you get a month of PS+ for free if you are already a subscriber?

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
non-members get a month free. I think the plus members basically get a month credit on subscription

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony, PSN, Hacked, Anonymous, PS3