Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[UPDATE: PSN is back!] Teh HAXORS! PSN go down.

Sony PSN Hacked Anonymous PS3

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Wednesday night Sony turned off their online networks due to concerns about security breaches. Five days later and the network is still down.

Sony's latest statement insists they are working around the clock to get their network back online and with more security.

Sources = 1 & 2

Edited by The Human Torch, 05 November 2011 - 11:10 AM.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
Yah, that ****'s been real irritating. Right when a few good games come out, too.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
It's irritating to us, but can you imagine the bricks that Sony Suits are ****ing?! This is five days offline now. Imagine the money they are losing. Not to mention the hits to their reputation.

If they were hacked, those hackers better be ex-MI6 or some other awesome impossible mission force because depending on the location of the servers they won't just have the FBI on them but it could fall under Interpol (if I understand the legalese correctly).

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,175 posts
If it's even legit. I wouldn't put it past Sony to mislead the public about the whole thing.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Makes me sooo glad I am one of those suckers that pays for their online play as I don't ever recall MS having this issue.

Gog

Gog

Science over myths

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
Since this happened, I realized that I really don't need the online all that much. The only games I have that I really go online with are the 2 Little Big Planets. I thought that I couldn't get on my netflix because of this too, but found out that I can get online (you just have to attempt to sign in a few times & Netflix will connect anyway). So, this is really not bothering me at all. I read a notice on Sony's site that said they were hacked. They also plan to be back online tomorrow. A hacker named Anonymous threatened to hack them because Sony was suing the guy who hacked the system to allow illegal versions of the games to play on it. But, Anonymous has said that this hack was not him. Whoever it is should be taken out & shot.

The one thing people are scared about is when the servers come back online, that they lose their downloads, trophies & such. Trophies are on your hard drive, so, that shouldn't be a problem. But if the things I purchased disappear off my download list in the store, I have a problem. I must have spent $500 on stuff on PSN.

Gog

Gog

Science over myths

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Makes me sooo glad I am one of those suckers that pays for their online play as I don't ever recall MS having this issue.

I don't know. I think a week of outtage in the 3 years of free PSN is much better than no outtage but paying $150.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,503 posts

makes me glad i have both!

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I wouldn't worry about the data, the purchase histories etc. Sony has to have a daily backup or something of the data files. Even rental stores like blockbuster and movie gallery do nightly backups of their data.

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
This was a real pain for me - I use PSN to video call my folks from NZ to UK.

Starshot

Starshot

Lens Flared

• Members
  • 146 posts

A hacker named Anonymous threatened to hack them because Sony was suing the guy who hacked the system to allow illegal versions of the games to play on it. But, Anonymous has said that this hack was not him. Whoever it is should be taken out & shot.

Anonymous is a bunch of people! They have said that they're not responsible, but that there are others in their group who might be. Either way, it stinks! No online play makes me a sad panda.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,651 posts
Anon didn't have anything to do with this, actually. Not trolling, either.

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
Rumour:

There was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console.

Someone worked out how to access the PSN network as a dev.

You could get your hacked console back online. Also, you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on a trusted Sony dev PSN

What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content.

Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network.

http://redd.it/gx6o4

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
All that skill and intelligence and they use it to steal games. :rolleyes:

Starshot

Starshot

Lens Flared

• Members
  • 146 posts
They're like super-villains!

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,889 posts
Those hacking bastards wiped my Modern Warfare 2 stats! I hope they hang!!

Starshot

Starshot

Lens Flared

• Members
  • 146 posts

Sony admits utter PSN failure: your personal data has been stolen

Sony has finally come clean about the "external intrusion" that has caused the company to take down the PlayStation Network service, and the news is almost as bad as it can possibly get. The hackers have all your personal information, although Sony is still unsure about whether your credit card data is safe. Everything else on file when it comes to your account is in the hands of the hackers.

In other words, Sony's security has failed in a spectacular fashion, and we're just now finding out about it. In both practical and PR terms, this is a worst-case scenario.

http://arstechnica.c...been-stolen.ars

O_O

Ummm...yikes?

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Yep. Bad news for many. Here's hoping the hacker(s) are the "heart of gold" types (like in the film Sneakers) and were just doing it to prove a point. What? It's possible! ;)

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
Wow, so glad they 'only' got my name, city, state, zip, Country, email, birthdate, password, PSN online ID, purchase history, billing address, password security answers and 'maybe' my credit card details.

For a second there I was worried!
  • NumberSix +1 this

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Does the PSN have cards like XBL? If this ever happened on XBL I wouldn't have any information stolen as I have never put any in.
  • Exodus +1 this

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,828 posts
Didn't Xbox live go down for like 2 or 3 weeks just after halo 3 was released? Maybe it wasn't down for That long, but it was for a good period of time.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Possibly. I don't recall when but the 'box and Live were hacked a while ago, I think several years back. The only reason the PS3 and PSN lasted until now was because the PS3 hadn't been fully cracked yet.

As for cards, yeah PSN has cards you can purchase so you don't need a CC to buy stuff.

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,828 posts
Vagina.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Q&A from Sony about the issue. Nice to get something in depth like that from the horses mouth.

The low down is in addition to hiring a prominent security company, Sony confirms they are working with law enforcement agencies.

All of the data was protected by security measures, both digitally and physically.

The CC data was encrypted and there is no evidence it has been taken. But they can't be certain.

The three digit CC security code that CCs have could not have been taken, as Sony never stored it.

The PSN Personal Profile data was not encrypted and was taken.

All 70+ million PSN users should have a notification of these events/actions taken/precautions emailed to them the end of this week.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,503 posts
from the gamespot forums.....

exedeath
Posted Apr 28, 2011 12:20 am GMT

I completely forgot about 9/11 until you guys brought it up. I do agree that this is much worse. 9/11 only lasted one day, so this has more of an impact on peoples lives.

linky if you want to abuse the guy
http://uk.gamespot.c...adlines;title;3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony, PSN, Hacked, Anonymous, PS3