JD Robb's In Death series

Copper

I've decided to reread JD Robb's In Death series. I've read all the books (there are 30-some-odd books, not including novellas included in anthologies) but I've been reading them since early 2000 so I've lost a lot of the details over the years. So far, I've already reread the first two novels and I'm half-way through the third one. I'm going to make random notes about the stories here including keeping a running track of some oft-(over?)used tropes that Robb uses for her main character, Eve Dallas.

Some of you may not know this, but I'm a huge fan of intricate police procedurals which is why I love this series. I even named my cat Eve after the main character.

I'm not going to use spoiler boxes throughout because I don't want to take the chance that this will get lost during a future upgrade of the software, so you've been warned! I'll not reveal the name of the killers though, just to be nice.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Books in which Eve has deliberately bated a murderer so they come after her:

Glory in Death

Books in which Roarke has (or attempted to) come to Eve's rescue:

Naked in Death

Glory in Death

other notes: We meet Officer Delia Peabody in Glory in Death. For some reason, I remembered it being later in the series. It's odd to read her as formal, awkward and unsure of herself when interacting with Eve. But I did miss the bowl haircut. She returns in Immortal in Death, and we get to see Dallas and Peabody team up for the first time over the death of a CI.

In Glory in Death we meet Crack for the first time. I always liked Crack but had forgotten about him because Robb hadn't used him in any recent books save the last one published, Treachery in Death.

I went to dinner by myself at a little cowboy diner called the Riata on my way home from work. I had flatbread covered in gooey melted cheddar and varios grilled vegetables with a side salad, washed down with a giant diet coke. While I ate (and spilled grilled tomatoes on my boobs) I read.

I had forgotten how charged the scene where Eve remembers a vital part of her childhood was. I mean, it's an incredibly traumatic memory so it makes sense that the scene would be charged but even knowing every detail of this part of the story I was hard-pressed to pull away from the pages to chew my food.

I'm also finding it interesting that I still can't remember WHODUNIT in Immortal in Death. I remember many of the details, but not who the killer was. I do remember that Casto the hot cowboy detective from Illegals is a Bad Cop and I cringed when Peabody admitted that she slept with him.

• 1 month later...

Just finished Ceremony in Death. I'd forgotten how much I like this one. It's about Wiccans and Satanists and has some very interesting character development for Peabody and Feeney. It always frustrates me when I know Eve is going down a wrong track in her investigation. I'm not sure why, but I feel like I can always tell and she can tell too despite where the logic leads her. Realistic writing, I guess.

Still no sign of MacNab- it seems like he's always been in the series.

• 1 year later...

Hey! I'll read #7 too, then, as I kind of forgot that I was rereading these. Currently I'm reading In Cold Blood on my Nook but it's a true crime story and it's really really sad so I wouldn't mind some futuristic crime fighting to ease the sadness.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished this one last night. Reading back through the thread, I know am familiar with Peabody, McNab, and of course Eve and Roarke. I enjoyed this one. I think it did a good job of relaying the important history so that I could get right into the crime story and still understand the characters. I'll plan to take #8 out of the library once I finish the other 3 I have out currently.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.