Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NFF-Rule Change Committee Discussion

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,776 posts
We have twelve teams... how many rounds of good rookies could we go through before it's like throwing darts? One full round maybe? Half of a round?

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,257 posts
You say throwing darts, I say buying lottery tickets. :)

Personally I dont think there needs to be a separate draft, anyway.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
True I am not sure if there is either, but it would make for a bit more ceremony and build excitement for the real draft.

Football starts in 10 weeks guys. Let's knock this up a notch

Posted Image

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

It seems a bit complicated way to get to an ending we could get by doing things in a simpler way.

Could we make it three with the third a kind of 'flex spot' an let you keep a mid-season FA/normal draft pick up as long as they were not played and they are still in their rookie year. Deadline for this would be the same as the trade deadline (the player must be on your bench by the end of play week 10 for example). I don't think that I need to come up with examples of undrafted FA's who have gone on to be

:rock:
  • UK Legend Killa +1 this

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
I support a separate rookie draft

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I think having a separate draft and a devoted NN thread will actually make things simpler & easier to keep track of than the current system. Rather than having players on our ESPN roster that we can't play and trying to keep track of who has played a guy and who hasn't, it'll be more streamlined.

Note: since one of the current roster spots is for the express purpose of a developmental player, we would need to reduce rosters by one if we switch to the practice squad.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,257 posts
We don't have a roster spot devoted to that since it isn't required to keep a developmental keeper.

A separate draft can be necessary if people choose not to use regular dradt picks on their rookies, but I do think if you do they should still be eligible for the practice squad.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
We could have a separate rookie draft that runs at the same time as the regular draft, speeding that up slightly. And the only way you can pick rookies is through the rookie draft.

Its an idea, anyway.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,257 posts
I hate the idea of the only way you are able to pick rookies (at all or just to be developmental keepers) is in a separate draft. That really hamstrings the teams later on in the draft order.

Part of it is the risk you have to weigh as to when you want to take a rookie in the regular draft, when will others start targeting rookies? If he doesn't do anything at all this year, can I afford to spend a X-round pick on him? stuff like that.

Edited by Lucas1138, 02 July 2012 - 10:45 AM.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Our second year, we added a roster spot. Wasn't that to allow for developmental players? I could swear it was contingent on having one (i.e. you could use it only to keep a DP). I can't find where/when that was all hashed out, so I'm not positive, but that's how I remember it. I'm not too concerned, personally, but I just thought that those who think the roster is too big would be interested.

As for two simultaneous drafts, I'm with Lucas. I wouldn't want to in any manner take away from the regular draft. That's a priority and should be ran the same as it always has. As I outlined above, I think that any eligible player should be allowed to be put on your practice squad, provided there's room for him. This would allow you to use a regular draft pick on a rookie, but also give the (potential) flexibility to send him to the practice squad if he doesn't develop as fast as you thought.

So however you acquired a player - regular draft, rookie draft, trade, or free agent - all should be allowed on the practice squad as long as they meet the criteria (3rd year or less, have never appeared in a NFF game).

Edited by Darth Lohr, 02 July 2012 - 01:16 PM.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,257 posts
Lohr, I think we added a spot to accommodate for the developmental keeper, but not with the stipulation that it had to be used for such. I can't remember 100% though.

I'm okay with there being a second draft to fill out other spots on Team's practice squads, just as long as it doesn't impact the regular draft, like Lohr said.
  • Austin +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
This draft and rookie convo has me curious now which one of us is going to reach in the draft by selecting Luck or RG3. Its an interesting question because you want to win now but they could be solid keepers as early as next season. Somebody WILL reach too high for one of them, Mark my words.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,776 posts

Our second year, we added a roster spot. Wasn't that to allow for developmental players? I could swear it was contingent on having one (i.e. you could use it only to keep a DP). I can't find where/when that was all hashed out, so I'm not positive, but that's how I remember it.

I believe you're thinking about the NBF having that in the first year.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Is that what it was? My mind's quickly deteriorating in my old age, so you're probably right. See, Rock...yet another reason why you need to stay in that league!

Super Dragon

Super Dragon

• 4,154 posts
Just checking in so that everyone knows I'm still around. To those who sent trade messages, sorry I didn't get back to you. Most of my Nightly use is on my phone, and I never click the tab to see if I have pm's. However, I do not intend on trading.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,776 posts

Is that what it was? My mind's quickly deteriorating in my old age, so you're probably right. See, Rock...yet another reason why you need to stay in that league!

Miami winning killed any chance of me being interested in professional basketball again. That and Dwight Howard, being a punk, pushing SVG out the door and then re-demanding a trade after he signed the one-year tender. So over the round ball.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,257 posts
Okay, we're down to three weeks before we need to decide about anything.

Is it safe to say there's enough interest to put the Expanded Developmental Keeper system to a vote?

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I think so. At some point, we'll have to address the exact nature of the system and its impact (if any) on the roster size.

Also, in regards to the roster: can we please, please add a second IR spot?

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
I vote for a vote

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Me too!

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,257 posts
Okay, I (along with some others) are drawing up a proposal for the expanded developmental system. Hopefully we'll get that ironed out soon.

We'll also vote oh Lohr's proposal for adding another IR slot.

Anything else need voting?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Can we vote on UK's official title to be League Homoz?

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,257 posts
I didn't think that needed to be voted on.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Just a quick "why" to go along with having another IR slot: We know that injuries are a part of the game, but so is how you deal with those injuries. In other words, the depth that you've acquired (through draft, trades, and FA) is really put to the test when you have a major player go down. So, often, that's what separates teams. However, there are times when a team is especially hit by the injury bug that between that and dealing with bye weeks, it's hard to even field a team. An extra IR slot at least makes it more likely that everyone has the same roster size of available players. It's fairly common to have more than one guy hurt, so it makes sense to set up our system accordingly.

Also, there's the "why not?" factor. Given that ESPN will not let team's make transactions if an ineligible player is on IR, the potential for abuse is quite small. By and large, the only teams that can really take advantage of IR slots are the ones that really need it. Adding an IR slot is not the same as adding a roster spot.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I was in that situation last season, so I concur.