Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NFF-Rule Change Committee Discussion

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
i think hklkjhklhuiojkl
  • UK Legend Killa +1 this

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,246 posts
Drunk Rock >>>
  • Rock +1 this

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Off-topic, but how soon do we plan on posting draft order and such? I had a trade proposal sent to me this morning, and I wans't sure how to respond because I'm not completely sure of my place in the pecking order except that I have two 3rd round picks.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,246 posts
Fairly certain this is the draft order:

1. Austin Tanks
2. Darth Irish
3. Team Carr
4. Texas SuperDragons
5. Austin Steelers
6. The Nightmares
7. Dexy's Midnight Haters
8. Ash's Ruff Puppies
9. Rock's Heels
10. Kemah Jokers
11. Aussie Kangaroos
12. UKLK's Vikings

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I prefer to be in the middle so the snaking back and forth doesn't screw me over too much in the off rounds.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Can I suggest something? If we expand the rosters, could we consider a change to rookie keepers?

My thinking is, if we expand rosters, and a few seem to be worried about the depleted talent pool, what if we allowed rookie keepers to be allowed to play in a select number of games, say no more than 4 games? This will allow us to expand rosters, still have keepers and add to the talent pool.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Hmmmm.

I'm still primarily against an expansion of the rosters, and if so only a WR/TE slot. I'm not sure if we would need to alter the rookie keeper eligibility rules if we added just one slot. It seems a bit like having your cake and eating it too.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,246 posts
Our benches are quite large as is. I think being able to play the developmental keeper defeats the purpose of it.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
Exactly. If anything, the extra large bench justifies we add another RB to the gameday roster.
  • ShadowDog +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
It's hard enough to keep track on if mofos played their rookies at all, allowing them to play X number of games would be a nightmare to keep track of. So I'm for adding another gameday RB/WR/TE slot and being done with it. Much simpler.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts

Exactly. If anything, the extra large bench justifies we add another RB to the gameday roster.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Why don't you show us on this doll where the extra running back touched you in a bad way?
  • the skiff guard, Rock and Lucas1138 +1 this

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I'd like you all to know that I've taken this time to carefully consider what everyone has said...and I still agree with myself.
  • the skiff guard, Rock, Lucas1138 and 1 other +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Okay Mara!

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• 14,874 posts
I have an idea for the developmental rookie system as well, it would likely kill the current rookie keeper rule. Since I can get on at work now, I will post my idea as well.

I am also hugely in favor of adding the flex, which I think I've been advocating for 3-4 years now based on our bench size.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
Proposed Rookie Farm System

Here's my proposal. Lucas has some good thoughts on tweaking this, and I want everyone else to weigh in as well:

Following the regular NFF draft, the owners will have an additional rookie-only draft wherein they will select 2-3 rookies to remain on the farm team. Similar to our developmental player rule, the rookies may only remain on the farm team for three years. If the rookie is ever "called up" to the NFF team and inserted into the starting lineup, the rookie is no longer eligible for the farm team, and must remain on the NFF owner's active squad unless dropped. If, after 3 years, the rookie has not been called up to the NFF team, the rookies is thrown back into the pool of available players and is able to be drafted in his fourth year. Current developmental rookies would be grandfathered into the farm team. The rookie farm team also eliminates the developmental keeper rule.

Here are topics for discussion:

- I prefer only 2 rookies on the farm team for any given year, I spoke with Lucas and he prefers three. I think this is up to personal preference, I'm not married to only two rookies per year.

- I also prefer that if you draft a rookie in the NFF draft, he is on your team, not your farm team. I have had other say they would prefer no separate draft, and for any rookie drafted to be in the NFF. The consequence of this would only be an additional 2-3 rounds to the existing draft.

- I had an idea that a rookie draft have the draft order based in part on the "Toilet Bowl" meaning the Toilet Bowl champion would get first pick in the rookie draft, the runner up second, and reverse order after that.

There are other issues which I cannot type at length about now, but I am very interested in hearing ideas as to how it could work:

1. Should farm teams be allowed to be expanded if a rookie is traded (for example, if I trade Andrew Luck to Lucas, should he be allowed to keep Luck as and additional rookie, or should he have to drop a rookie on his team).

2. Should we allow a rookie to play a maximum number of games before losing their farm team eligibility or should they have to remain on the farm team until promoted?

3. Should we allow for the pick up of free agent rookies and allow insertion onto a farm team (provided that no NFF team has played the rookie prior, and the team picking up the FA drops another rookie)?

I'm sure there are many other issues I have not thought of, but this seems to be a good starting point. So what say you?

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I'm on board - as long as you call it the Practice Squad!

I do think that keeping it separate from the regular draft would be a good thing. We should probably devote a thread strictly for the purpose of this, as well. The first post would list the current members of the Practice Squad for each team, edited & updated by Irish as needed. That way, there would be no confusion and we wouldn't have to worry about how to work it on the ESPN site. Owners can post any changes, which would provide a time/dated record.

I definitely prefer two, which forces owners to be a little more judicious in their decisions (plus, taking 36 young players out of circulation seems like a huge number). While I think these players should be drafted after the regular draft, I do think owners should be able to send eligible players from their regular squad to the practice squad (provided they have not played in any games yet), as well as pick up eligible free agents (provided they drop a player from the practice squad for each FA signing).

Before appearing in any games, a player must be activated prior to that week's matchup. Leaving these players as FA's on the ESPN site would allow for this, as well as force their team to have an available roster spot beforehand. Once such a player has appeared in an NFF game, he is no longer qualified to be on a practice squad.

I think that whether two or three, it should be a hard limit. There should not be flexibility due to trades or other factors. Every team should have the same roster limits.

I strongly believe that only the true NFF regular season and championship game should determine the following year's draft order. The rookie draft should follow the same order as the regular draft.

Edited by Darth Lohr, 30 June 2012 - 08:10 AM.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,246 posts
"What lohr said. All of it," said someone for the first time ever.
  • Darth Lohr +1 this

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
I appreciate all the thought/effort that went into that, Irish, but to be honest, I prefer what we have now.

And if we do make the change, I am assuming that last season's rookie keeper will be allowed to be our 5th keeper this year regardless.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
Yes, current developmental rookies would be grandfathered into the rookie team for however
Many years remaining they have.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
Oh good. Then I'm good with either way as long AJ Green is a Heel come Week 1 kickoff.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Granted I don't have any experience in how you guys currently conduct the rookie system, the proposal by Darth Lohr sounds good to me

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Why limit it though? If I got a team I like, a starting lineup that is, and only care to carry a few select backups, why not allow me to fillout the rest of my roster with rookie practice squad guys?

Ok, that is somewhat a joke, but slightly serious.

This is more serious, I like it, though I feel that if someone on a practice squad is traded, they should no longer be practice squad eligible. Meaning, if I have Luck, and trade him to Rock, Rock has to make him active and he can not go to the practice squad.

Will practice squad picks and players be eligible to be traded for regular picks and players? For instance, say I don't care to do the rookie scouting needed, and decide to trade away my rookie draft round 1 pick to someone behind me in the order. Let's say Skiff for fun since he posted last. I trade Skiff my Round 1 rookie keeper pick for his round 2 rookie keeper and round 3 regular 2013 pick... does that work?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I'm swamped right now but plan to weigh in on this when I've had time to think about it.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Not quite sure about the practice squad idea or activating people etc. It seems a bit complicated way to get to an ending we could get by doing things in a simpler way.

Also if you trade for an unplayed rookie they should stay unplayed and eligible. You will already have to pay over-the-odds for them in the first place so restricting their eligibility is a bit harsh.

I would be welcome to increasing to two, maybe three as the idea has worked fairly well. And with a separate draft.

Could we make it three with the third a kind of 'flex spot' an let you keep a mid-season FA/normal draft pick up as long as they were not played and they are still in their rookie year. Deadline for this would be the same as the trade deadline (the player must be on your bench by the end of play week 10 for example). I don't think that I need to come up with examples of undrafted FA's who have gone on to be