Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NFF-Rule Change Committee Discussion

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Just remembered this thread because I was looking around to see if a new commish had been selected yet. But anyway, I agree with you on this issue, Exy.
  • Exodus +1 this

groove terminator

groove terminator

There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know

• Members
  • 2,915 posts

I was looking around to see if a new commish had been selected yet. But anyway, I agree with you on this issue, Exy.

ok i know i have been away on holidays in europe but have i missed something?

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,776 posts
I stepped down as co-commish. Irish hasn't named a replacement yet.

groove terminator

groove terminator

There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know

• Members
  • 2,915 posts

I stepped down as co-commish. Irish hasn't named a replacement yet.

oh i didnt know that, i knew you were thinking about it though

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
I propose the champion of the previous season should fill the role on a season-by-season basis... :pimp:

Speaking of which, Ex I will give you a shout when I get some money about shipping etc. Living in London is damn expensive!
  • Rock +1 this

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,254 posts
Hey boys and girls.

Might be time to consider any changes we feel are worth bringing up. Some that come to my mind that I'd be interested in are
- Starting lineup expansion
- Developmental keeper expansion
- New co-commissioner

Anyone else have a worthwhile opinion on anything?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I have opinions!

worthwhile

Oh. :(

But seriously, give me a couple days to have time.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Should we first decide on the potential new roster then go with of we are in favor or not?

For instance I am dead against IDP

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,254 posts
Rock is deader than dead set against IDP. Most people are indifferent. The only ones with an opinion on it don't want them I'm pretty sure (if I'm remembering correctly from past conversations)

The only thing with the starting lineup I would want to talk about changing is making the league more standard by having 2rb, 2wr, and a flex (and maybe make the flex rb/wr/te). I'm not married to that idea and probably wouldn't even bother trying to sell anyone on it (especially because it would screw up my handy little official stat book), just something to think about.

The one thing that I would really like to explore is expansion of the developmental keeper system.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I actually like IDPs, but have never lobbied too hard for it because I knew some others hate it. Plus, our draft would take a couple of months to finish if we did that.

I could live with an added flex being WR/TE, but am not at all a fan of having three RBs. Mostly, it's the realism thing, for me. It's a slight stretch to have three WRs or two TEs used close to full-time, but it is done from time to time in the NFL (though there is usually only one RB in those cases). You just can't have three full-time backs, though. Even tandems usually have limited production.

Before I form any opinion on the DK system, Gar, could you share just what sort of things you had in mind?

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,254 posts
I get your point on added realism, I haven't ever really placed that much emphasis on it but I hear what you're saying at least. My thought is if you're going to expand the starters then you should keep the talent pool as deep as possible to go along with it. Like I said though, I don't feel strongly one way or another, and unless someone else chimes in really pushing for it (I know DI has in the past), I probably won't bother making an argument. Really no skin off my back. And the more I thought about it screwing up my 6 year history of NFF statistics the more I didn't like the idea :-P lol

Re: developmental keeper system
- Gladly. I'm about to fail an Art History exam though so that will have to be either later this evening or sometime this weekend.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,776 posts
I officially nominate UKLK for Co-Commissioner.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Seconded! But only if he brings back that skull avatar. Otherwise, **** him.

I think we should expand the roster and make it RB/WR/TE for the reason Lucas said, keeping the pool as deep as possible. Though I think we'll see more mofos using a second tight end at that spot because this is a copycat league and the Pats exploded with that last season. We're going to see more teams deploying 2 TEs this year.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

I officially nominate UKLK for Co-Commissioner.

I thought that's why Garrison wanted to go to law school - in hopes of being the next Paul Tagliabue.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
But, yeah...Ryan's cool with me.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Well my vote would have gone to Garrison but if others are happy with me doing it I will gladly step up.

My thoughts on this are that I would support the inclusion of a wr/te flex spot for the same reasons as lohr. Whilst if is fantasy getting too far away from a real formation can feel a bit cheap. A wr te flex gives another possible formation for game day. However if I am honest I think our line ups are fine. The pool of talent is shallower now we have more teams and adding another starter takes away from the actual management of a team.

Last year I basically only had one good player for each spot so I knew who i was starting. Except at te where I.had gronk and hernandez. Making those decisions is kind of what Sunday mornings is about isn't or? It might cost you the game but that's the whole point!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

My thoughts on this are that I would support the inclusion of a wr/te flex spot for the same reasons as lohr. Whilst if is fantasy getting too far away from a real formation can feel a bit cheap. A wr te flex gives another possible formation for game day. However if I am honest I think our line ups are fine. The pool of talent is shallower now we have more teams and adding another starter takes away from the actual management of a team.

Hey, I got an idea! Include running backs so the talent pool isn't so shallow! #Winning

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Because not all positions are created equal, so no, not "winning". Not for everyone. I'm with UKLK in that when it comes to adding a flex position, I prefer excluding RB from it - but my first choice would be to not even add it in the first place. We do have a flex position as it is (we have one RB and one flex) and, personally, I'd like to keep it that way and simply add TE on to it as an option.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Okay, so that's what the three of us think ... anybody else around here with an opinion?

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts

Hey, I got an idea! Include running backs so the talent pool isn't so shallow! #Winning

Well no because we are still drafting from the same pool of players so it wouldn't help at all. Any rbs you would start would already be on a team somewhere.

Like I.said I enjoy the picking and choosing and with two extra teams those choices were already diluted last year, adding another starters spot would put more emphasis on drafting, less on managing

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
That's why I argued against expansion last year, by the way. But we have more teams so that's the hand we've been dealt.

"Well no because we are still drafting from the same pool of players so it wouldn't help at all. "

Sure it would. You have more players to choose from because you're mixing in another position. If the WRs and TEs you have are gonna suck that week, a RB might not.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,254 posts
I have always thought the depth of talent and "startable" players is severely underestimated in this league.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
I wouldn't terribly mind expanding the amount of individualswe can play any given week, just so long as we still keep no more than 4 players.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I really don't think we should ignore UKLK's point about strategy. Those weekly decisions can be gut wrenchingly frustrating, but are ultimately a large part of the fun. Sure, there's always a degree of blind luck involved in fantasy sports, but you'll find that the largest number of successful teams are the ones whose owners spend time/brain power/intuition making the right calls about their roster & weekly lineup. In other words, the strategy aspect of the game.

We will definitely lose some of that by expanding the roster or the weekly lineup.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,254 posts
Devils advocate- While you think it dilutes the decision making process, I think it expands it. Drafting is more important, and you'd still have plenty of decisions to make on game-day (and/or the days leading up to the game, of course). Last year I had more RBs than I knew what to do with and at least two startable WRs. Throw in the possibility of starting a second tight-end in that position and that certainly sounds like at least as much strategy/decision making as we've had in the past.

Unrelated: I definitely support Ryan for co-commish. I will still help out with the draft here on the board since I've got the mod-power in the Fantasy forum, but I think the league will be in capable hands with UK.

Still refining my rough outline of the developmental keeper system proposal, will post tomorrow sometime I imagine.