Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NFF-Rule Change Committee Discussion

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• 14,874 posts
Up for discussion: the so called "Brandon Jackson Rule."

Please correct me if I am misstating this, but the background is as follows:

Micks running back Ryan Grant decided to **** the Micks' season by suffering a season ending knee injury in the second half of of the opening game. As a result, the aforementioned Brandon Jackson became a highly sought after commodity on the free agent market.

Under the current rule Jackson became available as a free agent at midnight on either Tuesday or Wednesday night eastern time. There was considerable interest in him, leading to multiple teams attempting to claim him. One team, which shall remain nameless, had somewhat of an advantage due to midnight EST occurring during the day in his country/continent (which will also remain nameless, but suffice to say it is synonymous with Kangaroos and Koala Bears).

The point was made that a rule can be established to lead to a "more fair" method of signing free agents.

Basically, I see one easy solution to this, and it is an establishment of a waiver system during the season. Essentially, owners will have until Tuesday to make a claim on a free agent, and the owner with the highest priority will be awarded the player.

We have basically two options to determine waiver priority: first, priority can be established weekly by inverse standing of the NFF standings (tiebreaker being least points scored); second, waiver priority will be established after the draft in the draft order (based on final standings of previous season) wherein when a team utilizes a waiver claim, they then go to the "back of the line."

For example, let's assume that The Micks have the #1 priority, and the Roos have the #2 priority in week 3 and both teams put a waiver claim on Brandon Jackson. The Micks will be awarded Jackson, and by virtue of the award, will be moved to the bottom of the priority list (#10). The Roos, having been denied the claim, will move up to #1 and all the other teams accordingly (assuming no other claims were made by them).

Discussion will remain open until myself or my trusted co-commish Rock calls for a vote.

Let us hear your thoughts.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

priority can be established weekly by inverse standing of the NFF standings (tiebreaker being least points scored)

This seems to be a good "parity" solution. However, do I understand correctly that this system resets the priority list every week? If so, the same team(s) could very well always get top priority, regardless of how many players they pick up and other teams may go weeks without making a move, but still find themselves at the bottom of the list. If that's the case, I would rather just go with the second option. It seems to be more or less what we have in the NBF, which I think works fairly well.

Question: if the first choice were used, would all transactions have to go through the league then? Or does ESPN actually have that detailed of options for how to do free agents?

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Back of the line has to be the fairest way, but I think that inverse order might not be the way to start it with. They already get higher draft picks.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
We can get creative - going off UKLK's post, we can have the "Toilet Bowl" playoffs determine waiver priority for the following season (personally, I'd rather "Toilet Bowl" be for the #1 pick in the draft to add relevance).

Or we could assign weekly priority based on weekly points scored.

We are certainly not limited to my suggestions...

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
Also, there is nothing saying we need a priority, we can see if we can do first come-first served basis. I would imagine we would need to set a waiver claim deadline for this.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
I don't think the Toilet Bowl should be for the draft pick. That way Rock gets rewarded for continually missing out on the playoffs every year.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
The Toilet Bowl was given some significance this year solely by the team who won it. The Micks' improbable winning streak touched off an unparalleled interest in the game normally reserved for events such as the Super Bowl and game 7 of the World Series. Seeing how the Micks will never be in the consolation bracket again, we need to find ways to pique interest.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
By giving you the number one pick? :P

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I am 100% against the idea of any post season game, other than the Uber Bowl, impacting the following season.

If we push back when teams are allowed to sign free agents every week, I think we have to have some sort of priority system in place. If not, you still have "first come, first serve" - which is what was at the heart of the "controversy" in the first place. No given hour is going to be equally convenient for people living in six different time zones. Somebody is almost always going to be at work or asleep or spending time with Irish's mom. If the goal is to make the weekly free agent pickups "fair", I think you need to eliminate that part of it completely.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts

I am 100% against

Since we're assigning percentages to our interest, I'll play along.

I'm 100% for Option number 2 because that's close to how the NFL does it as far as I know. And it makes more sense to me and seems more fair to me.

I'm 75% against Option number 1 for the same reasons.

I'm 100% convinced that Darth Irish is a prat.

I'm 50% convinced that the person who hasn't been named in this post is still somewhat pissed about this.

I'm 31% against anything UK is for simply because he's even more of a prat than Darth Irish. From there I adjust my percentage according to the merits of the issue at hand.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,240 posts
As far as the postseason games affecting the #1 pick, I'm all for the bottom two teams battling for those last three weeks to decide who gets the number 1 pick. That's what I do in my other keeper league and its fun, worked out well so far.

I still like first come first serve for the weekly pickups, especially if there is a time that is convenient for all 3 regions (like 7 or 8 am EST, which would be early afternoon for UK and somewhere between 9-10PM for Brad I believe, not that that is conducive to him, I'm just saying). Otherwise yes, an ordered waiver system is necessary. Is there any way we can do a rolling 3 week order? Even if we have to do it manually I think that would be good. That way it helps teams which need help at that time, and it would still have the ability to be a fluid order. Let me know if I need to explain that further. Also in this case, I would suggest that pickups be eliminated for the first 3 weeks of the season, then start on the 4th week (or limited in some other way I guess)

groove terminator

groove terminator

There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know

• Members
  • 2,915 posts
i don't really care what is decided but i wouldn't mind throwing this one into the mix, in a league i run, you get given a Free Agent Budget for the season, ESPN describes it as this :

Free Agent Auction Bidding: A new option for 2010 if selected teams will have a specific budget with which they can make player acquisitions during the season, and all acquisitions will be processed in batches one or more times each week. If a team would like to add a player, that team will secretly bid a certain amount. On the next waiver process day, the team with the highest amount bid will be awarded the player, and the bid will be subtracted from that team's budget. Note: the default budget for FAAB is $100/team. This can be changed to any amount between $10 and $1000.

Rock is in this league and i think it worked pretty successfully, I set the the wavier process days to Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday all at 9pm EST. the only downside to it is if you need to make a last minute claim but hell with the size of our rosters would that really matter

also if a team bids the same amount then there is a wavier order but that doesn't come into play too often from what i saw (it's a 16 team league)

though the funniest thing was with all the brandon jackson crap that went on, one guy blew his entire budget on him! couldn't make a pick up for the rest of the season! i know Rock loved watching it!

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Shadowdoooooooooooooog!!! :angry:

Free Agent Budget sounds interesting though.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
I'm 100% in favr of waiver.

93.7% in favor of lowest scoring team the previous week getting the first shot.

Sh*t, I forgot to send Ex the Ubercup. Sorry, bro!

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts

'Forgot'

:unimpressed:

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,240 posts
I'm against the free agent acquisition budget.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
If Lucas is against it, then I'm all for it.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Then I'm automatically 100% against the free agent acquisition budget. (all jokes aside, I would have been anyway)

Sh*t, I forgot to send Ex the Ubercup. Sorry, bro!

I'm 73% certain I've forgotten to chip in what I owe you for the trophy costs. If so, drop me your pay pal email in a DM.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I'm 93.6% certain this is going to take awhile...

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Not really, the majority of us all seem to be on more or less the same page with the waiver system.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
I don't think so.

I've just decided to decertify the NFFPA and am now holding the rest of you to ransom.

I want 59% of all NFF generated income and a photo of Rock kissing Byron Leftwich's Superbowl ring

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
Um, you're an owner, not a player.

And a ****ing stupid owner at that.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Thats right. I keep forgetting that the stupid owners are the ones that DON'T trade away a #1 running back and a #1 draft pick in exchange for Moss and Benson...

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
Touché.

Getting back on topic, I actually like the idea of a FAAB. I think it would be great. I understand I'd some don't want to do it though.

The FAAB gives everybody an equal opportunity to get a player, and it involves a season long strategy to manage your budget. Also think of it in terms of strategy in that if groove spent a large portion on Jackson, it ultimately ended up being money wasted.

We only need a majority to change certain rules, so I say the first vote is between FAAB and waivers. If it's FAAB then we will vote later on the amount, if it is waivers we will vote later on determining priority.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
I like the sound of interoducing a new element to the league next year (after 5 years it can get a bit stale on the off weeks) so I will vote for the FAAAAAB