A Song of Snowflakes and Posies Discussion Thread

Bethany

It's getting close if it hasn't gotten there already. And with the show surpassing the books, how much do we really even care now? Obviously I'll read it if/when it's released, but with far less enthusiasm.

At this point I'm still sure he finishes the winds of winter. But a dream of spring? No chance.

Is there any sense that he's writing the rest of the books concurrently? I don't know how many are left but let's say it's 3 left. Maybe he's 85% done with 1, 50% done with 2, and 25% done with the last book. I know authors who do this with series so they can keep everything straight and do callbacks and callforwards seemlessly.

I don't think he's writing the books at once, he just gets bogged down. The story has so many characters, places and details that it slows him down when he writes about some secondary character and mentions his eye color. He actually goes back and checks how it was previously described. That's just an example. You'd think maybe he'd hire like a half dozen researchers who could just read what he's written and check for that kinda crap.

I have to say now that the show has surpassed the books and the show is of high quality...I don't know if I care about the books or not. Especially since it's been so long since ADWD has been published and I've read it i can't remember what is still going on in the books vs. the show. Because I know the show started moving in a different direction last year.

My thing with the show is that HBO has ridiculously cracked down on their shows to make sure people subscribe.

I mean, I get it. But I really don't want to pay $15 a month for one show, as I don't have any interest in any other shows on the network. It would be awesome if I could buy a season pass on Amazon the same way I'm doing for Orphan Black... but no. The options are full HBO or nothing.

I originally complained when HBO started waiting a whole year before releasing dvd sets and streaming on subscription services, rather than right after the season closes. But nowadays, even that's a moot point, since social media - including major news outlets - spoils the current episode as it airs, and the only recourse is to give up social media for 10 weeks.

And yes, I could circumvent this by pirating... but I'm trying to do the right thing without going broke here.

So, fuck HBO and fuck GoT.

Meanwhile, the books are affordable and readily available through multiple outlets the minute they're released. Power to the literate populace.

What really gets me is that I hope GRRM isn't dragging his feet on the books because the show is picking up the slack.

Anyone can be irritated about anything, but it's silly. They have a product, they set a price, she doesn't think the product is worth the price and doesn't buy it. This happens billions of times every single day. Her being irritated about it is like me saying "Screw Ferrari and their high priced cars!"

Anyone can be irritated about anything, but it's silly. They have a product, they set a price, she doesn't think the product is worth the price and doesn't buy it. This happens billions of times every single day. Her being irritated about it is like me saying "Screw Ferrari and their high priced cars!"

But I think what she said was more like "I'd really love a Ferrari, and I'd totally drive one if they were more easily accessible to me, but I just can't afford one right now. That sucks!"

Maybe, I dunno. In reality watching Thrones at this point would be quite affordable, HBO Now has a free month, then you could sign up for the next 2 months at 15 a month. There are only 10 episodes, so you could fit a whole season into the free trial and 2 paid months. So 30 bucks for a season is pretty reasonable and probably about the same price as a book anyway. I mean it's availible on cable and through streaming and can get a whole season for 30 bucks. I don't know what else someone would want? Other than to say they wished it was cheaper, which is true of basically everything. But basically 3 bucks an episode plus you get basically every episode of every HBO show ever, pretty fair deal.

I think pretty much everyone read that as her being flippant. :shrug:

Maybe, I dunno.

Uh, yeah, actually, that is exactly the tone I was going for.

"Irritated" is a good word, "angry" is not.

If you carefully read my first post, I actually say that I understand that HBO can do whatever they want with their own product, just that I happen to abstain because I think it's unfair considering other networks' policies on similar products. I'm not so deluded to think that one person disagreeing with a juggernaut corporation is going to change anything. I realize that I am only "hurting myself" by not participating in a cultural phenomenon show.

And I do think $30 is a lot for a 10 episode show, seeing as how I'm paying $18 for 10 episodes of Orphan Black which, while it's not quite as complicated as a CGI-laden period drama with diverse, exotic locations like GoT, does have to film each scene multiple times because the same actress plays like 9 different characters who all interact with each other. If I were interested in HBO's other offerings, I would think it's a fair price, but I'm not, and so I don't. And I do think that $30 is a better price for a book than a streaming service - I can read the book multiple times whenever I want, and share it with friends with no legal wrongdoing or repercussions. That's another thing about buying a season pass on Amazon, you own the rights to watch the episodes multiple times whenever you want, no expiration date or additional fees required. If that were the case with HBO, I would probably consider $30 for GoT to be a fair price, but as it is both with HBO's setup and my own schedule, I would be paying $30 to watch each episode once just so I could watch first run and keep up with spoilers. That's not worth it to me.

Ultimately, my opinion has no affect or bearing on your enjoyment of HBO or GoT, so I'm not sure why this bothers you so much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.