A Song of Snowflakes and Posies Discussion Thread

Bethany

• 2 months later...

Not that this really means anything, but it GRRM's latest blog post, he said he's scrapping attendance at two cons this year: the World Fantasy Convention in November, and the San Diego Comic Con this July. He says he has too much work to do, particularly on Winds of Winter.

Then, the last thing he says: "(Should I complete and deliver WINDS OF WINTER before these cons roll round, I reserve the right to change my mind)."

As each day passes I become more and more convinced this series will never get completed, but the fact that he'd throw in a line about potentially finishing the next book possibly even before July got my heart racing a bit. Still not expecting it this year, though.

I think he will finish the series barring an unforseen illness. When writing a story usually the ending is something clear in your mind the entire time. At some point the writing process will speed up I think. Sometimes when you see that finish line it gives you a bit of energy.

I've read the Mercy chapter, and by virtue of reading reddit regularly I have the general gist of a few of them. This is only the 2nd one I've actually read. I figure the book is going to be long enough and these chapters won't spoil anything massively so there's little harm. Plus like I said, I read the ASOIAF reddit several times a week and people are always referencing them so :shrug:

• 3 months later...

This is probably nothing, but whatever. A season 6 director commented that he'd seen an advanced copy of the Winds. While it's likely what he actually meant was an outline, he still said it. A commenter on Martin's blog asked him about it, and Martin's response is, as always "never believe rumors." Not quite a denial, either. I still really doubt it, but hey, it's a thing that happened.

• 2 months later...

A texting conversation with Garrison last night about season 6 inspired this. Here is a non-comprehensive list of characters I think won't survive the book series.

Cersei

Jaime

Tommen

Myrcella

Qyburn

Stannis

Davos

Melisdanre

A vast majority of the Freys

Roose Bolton

Ramsay Bolton

ALL of the Greyjoys, except Asha

ALL of Dany's Meereen advisors and generals, except Grey Worm

Barristan the Bold

Jorah

Doran Martell

Most, if not all, of the people training Arya in the House of Black and White

Jon Connington

"Aegon"

There are definitely more. A lot of names are escaping me at the moment, and there are a lot I need refreshers on to know exactly what's going on with them to be sure.

I think Tommen will simply stay on the Throne. In the end alot of the main characters will have to direct their efforts away from any claim to the Throne and towards simply preserving human life against the Others.

My personal guess is that in the end many of our favorites will die in that fight, eventhough many in the South may not even know that war happened. I could see Tyrion reporting back to Kings Landing and the court in the Red Keep asking him how he fared against all those "gremlins and grumpkins" in the North.

Just a heads up to all you guys who haven't read the "Dunk N Egg" stories. They are finally being released together in a single volume titled "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" in hardcover. I'd highly, highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys ASOIAF.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.